MARCS Roll Call, poor response

Status
Not open for further replies.

budevans

At 10 a.m. is morning I monitored a MARCS Cuyahoga County roll call/radio check done by Westcom, on the Countywide TAC 1 TG. The response (to say the least) was dismal.

The radio check/roll call lasted a little over 20 minutes. Of those few that responded, most were from communities that are still on VHF or UHF. The communities on the MARCS-IP, GCRCN and PARMA P25 for the most part did not respond.

Almost felt sorry for the guy doing the roll call.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
I heard that too .. it is pitiful. Everyone not on the same page.
Summit County does the same on their system and the response is very similar..
Why do it if no one follows the protocol ? What exactly is it accomplishing ?

jackj

A roll call on a system like MARCS is of very limited value. It isn't even useful as an equipment check, the dispatcher will know if (s)he has a problem long before the roll call. The only useful purpose of a roll call is on a net to learn what stations are present and which ones have traffic to pass to the net. Holding a roll call and responding to a roll call on MARCS is a waste of time.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I heard one of these in Columbus for the first time and the results were the same. I think many were not expecting it or were not listening. And actually it is not a roll call but a radio check. OSHP has done it on LEERN for years.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I heard that too .. it is pitiful. Everyone not on the same page.
Summit County does the same on their system and the response is very similar..
Why do it if no one follows the protocol ? What exactly is it accomplishing ?

Usually what these tests accomplish is prove that the people who answer heard the test that day. Some agencies answer one month, others answer another month, and some may answer nearly every time.

You've got to remember that most departments usually stick these radios one of two places:

1. In the dispatch center, which is already busy (and where answering tests like this is a pretty low priority against people on the street and 911 calls).

2. in the EOC or EMA office. The EOC isn't usually staffed, and the EMA office in many counties is either part time, or people are out actually working for a living and not available to answer the radio.

The corollary to #1 is that these tests often encompass a large number of agencies, and busy comm centers often turn the volume down rather than listen to the constant babble, and turn it back up later so they catch actual important broadcasts.

Either way, there's often no one available to answer.

duffy109

Premium Subscriber
Roll Call no more

A vote at the last Communications meeting has cancelled the monthly test in Cuyahoga County.

The State's EMA test will still occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.