A video tour of my shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC286

I decided to share my shack, and figured the easiest way was to do a a narrorated video tour.
The video was filmed in HD with one take, no editing, scripting or re-planning. Just fired up the camera and went with it.

Its a bit long (30min) grab a coffee or your favorite beverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9q6g--2aM

Enjoy. (the upload just finnished, so the HD stream may not yet be available)

There is lots in the video, if there are any comments, or questions I would be happy to answer them.

ridgescan

I saw the whole thing. Very impressive shack, and you have a true passion for radios. When I get a chance I will seek out your antennas video. One question is what is the actual groundpoint you have for the shack groundbus? Did you drive in rods or is it bonded to the electrical?

RC286

I saw the whole thing. Very impressive shack, and you have a true passion for radios. When I get a chance I will seek out your antennas video. One question is what is the actual groundpoint you have for the shack groundbus? Did you drive in rods or is it bonded to the electrical?

Thank you very much. Yes I do have a passion for radios, maybe even a bit of an obsession :p :)
I plan on making some quick videos showing my collection of antique radios and transistor radios as well, all in due time.

As for grounding, both. Ground rods outside and bonded to the electrical service for safety. Its all tied together as best I could based on the locations of the antennas and shack wich are on the opposite side of the house from the electrical service ground.
I plan on making a video outlining the grounding as well, but may have to wait untll spring as all the outdoor conductors and ground rods are burried in snow.

Wally46

Feed Provider
Thank you for the awesome video! Better finish your beer before it gets warm lol. Hey, does the string of vacuum tubes light up?

ridgescan

Thank you very much. Yes I do have a passion for radios, maybe even a bit of an obsession :p :)
I plan on making some quick videos showing my collection of antique radios and transistor radios as well, all in due time.

As for grounding, both. Ground rods outside and bonded to the electrical service for safety. Its all tied together as best I could based on the locations of the antennas and shack wich are on the opposite side of the house from the electrical service ground.
I plan on making a video outlining the grounding as well, but may have to wait untll spring as all the outdoor conductors and ground rods are burried in snow.
Looking forward to the new videos. BTW great attention to details and standards in that shack.

RC286

@ twjr80 & Wally46
Regarding the tube light string, It was a brain storm of what to do with the old burnt out tubes.
It was a small LED xmas light string I bought, runs on 3x AA batteries. I used copper caps for 1/2" copper water pipe, drilled a hole in the base of the cap. The LEDs were inserted into the hole and super glued in place. once the glue set, the tubes were then super glued into the open end of the copper cap, making a neat looking collar. The LEDs light up under the tube and make them glow. All have soft white LEDs to make them look more like the filaments are glowing.

This is what they look like in the dark

@ridgescan
Thank you, it did take a great deal of time to set up. Not a huge amount of money, most everything I have is used equipment, right down to the coax :) some of the locals I visit with say I would fit in with some of the old timers due to that. My philosophy is reuse, re-purpose, save. A more bang for the buck philosophy. I also have a thing for older technology, while computers are fancy and everything, nothing beats good old high quality analog electronics in my eyes. Simplicity and performance. Not to mention that the older stuff can be repaired much easier. I am kind of OCD about certain things, but funny enough not so much with dusting and stuff like that. when taking the video I noticed some of the radios could use a good dusting. I am going to have to invest in one of those swiffers I can get into small spaces with. I can spend hours routing cables to make them neat, even if they wont be seen, some of my friends call me the king of cable management. Some even get me to assemble their custom builds even though they could do it themselves, just to have me route the cables neatly and out of sight haha!.

More videos will come. I have some plans for new ones. but with the holidays coming up, I may not have anything new until the new year, but I shall see. I have also been scouring my hard drives for old videos from some of my radio restores and other projects, but I fear I have lost a great many of them due to a hard drive crash some years back. Whatever I find I will upload. My channel will be anything radio, electronics related etc. nothing else. So if it interests you, subscribe.

I am also planning a fairly large scale mobile install this spring to put my other HTX-100, a UHF or dual band VHF/UHF rig, the galaxy 959 (that is currently installed), and a small scanner for repeaters in my truck. I am also wiring all the radios through a mixer into one external speaker to keep everything as neat as possible, adding 3 more antennas, and building my own custom console to hold the radios. I will be video documenting the build, but this one will have to wait untill it warms up and melts as I have no access to a garage i can fit the truck in for the length of time I need for the install.

Token

Nice layout, but a bit too clean, come on, is it always like that? ;) The SX-99 was my first manufactured receiver, I used it as a Novice with a home brew transmitter. I still have my very first SX-99, and I still sue it occasionally.

Regarding your comment on the SX-99 not being very accurate…shoot man, that is just the way it was in the day, remember that radio dates from the mid-late 1950’s. If you got dial accuracy to 1 kHz with even very good gear you were doing well, and average gear if you were +/- 5 kHz on the dial it was great. With some gear +/- 50 kHz was “expected”. Today everyone has a digital readout, and everyone thinks they are able to tell frequency to typically 0.1 kHz or less (whether they are actually that accurate or not is another question).

But, there were ways to get sub 200 Hz (0.2 kHz) accuracy, even with the old SX-99. Use a surplus BC-221 / LM-xx series, or something similar. I picked my first up for $3, and from that time on until digital readouts became common I always had one in use in the shack. I still use an LM-18 with the SX-99 and other boat anchors.

A web page I put together a few years back to show how and why something like the BC-221 / LM-xx series should be part of any boatanchor users tool kit: My BC-221 and LM series Page

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.