800mhz skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I'm not sure if this counts, but I've been clearly receiving Suffolk County, LI, NY on 851.3625 as a control channel for over an hour. It's a 67.1 mile distance from my location in Southern Connecticut. I can receive them daily with a decent signal level on my 396XT. I'm also receiving a mix of Analog and digital talk groups. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418847442.276911.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418847464.613841.jpg

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
800 Mhz

On the higher frequencies, a signal is often extended by ducting from a temperature inversion. I am in Michigan, and I was getting a strong 2 meter repeater from Angola, IN. yesterday which was over 60 miles from where I was driving. Look up 800 Mhz skip in RR and you will find other comments and explanations. It is not skip as in the HF ham bands.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this counts, but I've been clearly receiving Suffolk County, LI, NY on 851.3625 as a control channel for over an hour. It's a 67.1 mile distance from my location in Southern Connecticut. I can receive them daily with a decent signal level on my 396XT. I'm also receiving a mix of Analog and digital talk groups. View attachment 48556View attachment 48557

I think it counts since it's a skip!

When I was living in St Johns County FL the County was getting towers going up and I was trying to see if it was Analog or Digital 800 system. I put the Freqs in the 396xt (Analog and Digital) and I was picking up this system Chatham County/Effingham County Trunking System, Various, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies with 1-2 bars certain times of the day. When I moved away from SJC to another location the system went live in 2013. Also when I lived in SJC I was picking up the surrounding counties from vhf/uhf and 800 system. When I moved out into the NW FL Panhandle I was picking this up http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5086#tgs (using the PSR800) on the County system in my area early hours in the morning.

Last edited:

owenbricker

I can receive Columbus fire with a handheld at about 70 miles, on 800, if you are in a good location, it should come daily. probably not skip.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
On my xts5000 I can receive NYPD/FDNY uhf on a clear day (about 80 miles away) but I've been regularly receiving Suffolk county, NY (Long Island) TRS. The analog comes in pretty good, but it's patchy on the digital side. But I can still hear conversations quite well. I'm glad the 396XT works well. I want to invest In a base antenna. I'm going to try to experiment with an 800mhz Maxrad I have.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Other forums talk about how towers in other counties sometimes extend the range of a P25 system. I have hears traffic from distant counties because of the way affiliation works on P25.

prcguy

A friend used to go camping on a beach in Mexico far south of the boarder and had a stacked pair of 800 Yagis to point up the coast to make cell phone calls into San Diego. Occasionally he could get a better connection by pointing the antennas out over the water and when the bill arrived some calls were shown to originate from Hawaii. That would be tropo ducting.
prcguy

ecps92

Yup, ducting from a temperature inversion

Similar to VHF High that we can see on the VHF APRS Maps.

If you have 800, you likely have a good 900/700 and UHF T openning as well.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I've been clearly receiving Suffolk County, LI, NY on 851.3625 as a control channel for over an hour. It's a 67.1 mile distance from my location in Southern Connecticut. I can receive them daily with a decent signal level on my 396XT. I'm also receiving a mix of Analog and digital talk groups. View attachment 48556View attachment 48557

Status
Not open for further replies.