Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyoblue

Hello all,
I am a newbie to this forumn.I am looking for a good outside antenna that I can purchase for my
Pro 163 scanner.Dont want to spent too much for a antenna, but I dont want a garbage antenna.

dmg1969

When posting this type of question, it helps to either know where you are (county and state is sufficient) or the frequency ranges you want to receive (low band, VHF, UHF, 800, etc.). Only then can someone make an appropriate recommendation. If you are interested in a wide spectrum, most people go with the Antennacraft ST-2 (Scantenna). AntennaCraft Scanner Antenna Kit with 50 Foot Cable (ST2) from Solid Signal

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Antenna

I understand your point of view on "Don't want to spend too much on antenna" but consider this... The whole system scanner/coax/antenna is only as good as the weakest point. A lot of people here have tried to improve this and that, build an antenna, add amplifiers etc'. When starting the scanner hobby one usually expects the world and then learns to understand the limits of antennas and coax loss and the limits of the scanner itself. Many times over people discover the area they are in is digital or something else. My best advise is to read these forums in the antenna section, maybe understand many have tried this or that and some have actually found the answers. Things to consider 1. What are the systems in your area digital or analog? 2. What antenna are you using? 3. Coax length - longer equals loss. 4. Filters? maybe try an FM trap? Finally the antenna, seriously my best advise forget the cheap $40 dollar (breaks in a strong wind without modification ST-2) and look for a real antenna for example the dpdproductions omni-x. Yep it cost more but you won't have to replace every year. This hobby is like any other, go expensive get results go cheap get cheap. Try to muster through the development stages and find out you could have had it all for less in the end. So speaking from just that experience go get omni x and find a coax like lmr-400 to feed your scanner. It will provide many years of scanning pleasure.

Tokyoblue

Happy Holidays!!
Thanks for the reply.I look at the Radio Shack antenna, and I get the feeling that it wouldnt stand up to a good wind storm.Am I just feeling a little scared?

dmg1969

I have three antennas in my attic. I just installed the RS VHF-HI/UHF as my third because my county will be moving from low band to VHF. It is the best performer of the three. The other two are a homemade OCFD and a Hustler MOR-B (mobile) that I installed as a base antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.