Waterproof Radios/Shower Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
As all of you know, I like listening to AM radio, especially local AM 920 WMNI. I have a Brookstone ShowerTunes radio I use in my shower, and it does not pick up AM920 well. Does anyone know of a stronger, waterproof, and preferably battery-powered or rechargable radio I could use in the bathroom that can pick up AM920?

Boombox

Sangean seems to have a couple shower radios. The Sangean H201 is all white, looks like the Sangean PRD7 -- the radio almost looks like it's in the same case. I don't know if it has the same circuitry inside, but the PRD7 is a pretty good AM band performer from what I've read on the internet. My guess is the H201 has similar guts inside. It possibly would bring in a lot more signals than the radio you have now.

It runs on 2 D cells.

H201 : FM / AM<br>PLL Digital Tuning Waterproof Radio

The H201 is advertised here as having a good AM and FM section.
FRYS.com*|*SANGEAN

Sangean makes pretty good radios, so it's possible the advertisment is not just talking hot air. I have several Sangean radios, and can vouch for their performance capabilities.

PS: remember, you want to have your radio aimed in the right direction to get an AM station at full strength. AM reception is almost always directional, even on a good radio. Turn the radio one way, even a local station can often weaken in strength. Turn it the other, and the station can come in better. I'd give that a try before investing in another radio. But if you're going to get a new radio, I'd at least look at the Sangean.

I agree with the directional thing you said above. My current radio only picks up WMNI under the soap holder or by the back of the tub, and even then, with me in the shower the signal is weaker.

Boombox

Another thing you could do is try a different, louder, better quality radio and just set it somewhere else in the bathroom. You still might be able to hear it in the shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.