• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM 10pin to 8 pin adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoguy2

It's been brought up in the past that a 8pin mic should not be used on a CDM.

However, call me old, but I prefer the older large style of white mic.

So, has anyone found a 8 pin to 10 pin adapter? Is disassembling a 8pin and a 10pin mic and swapping the cables an option?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It won't hurt to use the 8 pin plug on the CDM's. It'll push the two outside pins up. Unless you plan on using the telephone style handset, you don't need them.
I've been using the 8 pin mics for years, no issues.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to swap out the cables, but I don't think it's necessary.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It's been brought up in the past that a 8pin mic should not be used on a CDM.

However, call me old, but I prefer the older large style of white mic.

So, has anyone found a 8 pin to 10 pin adapter? Is disassembling a 8pin and a 10pin mic and swapping the cables an option?

I thought so too right up until Motorola sent an 8 pin desk mic along with a new CDM1250 two years ago. I called customer support who checked with engineering who said it is OK like that.

I do have a stock of both 8P8C and 10P10C RJ connectors plus the proper crimping dies for both. If anyone needed a cable changed or custom length remote head cable, I could probably help with that.

photoguy2

Interesting, thanks guys.

I was under the impression the shoving a 8pin mic into the 10 connector repeatedly would cause grounding issues.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Interesting, thanks guys.

I was under the impression the shoving a 8pin mic into the 10 connector repeatedly would cause grounding issues.
Nope, it won't. If you look at an 8P8C, there's a wide ledge of plastic where 9 and 10 would be. When you insert the 8 pin plug into the 10 pin socket, you're pushing plastic against the the two outboard contacts. No grounding problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.