MTO in Lindsay/Kawartha Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I'm in Lindsay, Ontario and I'm having trouble getting the MTO chatter. I see I have the Kawartha Lakes Frequency but it doesn't seem to work well, and I'm pretty sure it's just mostly the Fraserville Patrol Yard (or are they the same thing). I was wondering if it's a groubpe

VE3RADIO

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Lindsay, Ontario and I'm having trouble getting the MTO chatter. I see I have the Kawartha Lakes Frequency but it doesn't seem to work well, and I'm pretty sure it's just mostly the Fraserville Patrol Yard (or are they the same thing). I was wondering if it's a groubpe

They are on Fleetnet Zone 2.. use the Peterborough, Cambellford and Cobourg towers.

DaveH

Hi Everyone,

If you're listening to one frequency, you won't be hearing much; which frequency is it?

What type of scanner? Are you familiar with Fleetnet, and trunked systems in general?

Dave

If you're listening to one frequency, you won't be hearing much; which frequency is it?

What type of scanner? Are you familiar with Fleetnet, and trunked systems in general?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. I have a Uniden Home Patroal Scanner.

I'm listening to the Bell Fleet Net System Section that has MTO Mainteance and I a chose the Kawartha Lakes one.

I understand they wouldn't be the most chatter on that although, the road reports are not coming in as well.

So, I'm wondering if it's some type of issue with how well I can get a signal or if it's the fact that I maybe on the wrong one.

I have an idea about the systems although I'm not 100% on how they work.

Thank you,

Corey

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave,

I'm listening to the Bell Fleet Net System Section that has MTO Mainteance and I a chose the Kawartha Lakes one.

I understand they wouldn't be the most chatter on that although, the road reports are not coming in as well.

So, I'm wondering if it's some type of issue with how well I can get a signal or if it's the fact that I maybe on the wrong one.

Thank you,

Corey

A Home Patrol scanner allows people to listen to systems like Fleetnet, and not to really understand them or how it works. This can be a blessing but it also makes sure that you don't have to learn how to program or even understand even the bare minimums.

What you will need to know is, for your example:

If you want to listen to the MTO, You are going to have to figure out which fleetnet tower that this detachment is going to affiliate with. You can use the built in data base and allow your scanner to scan all the towers, in your example, Zone 2 but unless you are travelling it might be best to only use the towers in your area or in areas that you may be in and lock out the others, and unlock them and lock others where necessary.

To listen to Lindsay/Peterborough you will need to be the towers that are within a reasonable range of your area. I am also not sure if in your area that the MTO patch together detachments/bases. In the GTA/Niagara/GHA I see patches used on almost daily basis, the Burlington detachment that handles the Kings highways from basically the west end of Toronto to Morriston to Brant/Haldimand, it is patched with Niagara on a regular basis. And when they are called to do their road and weather reports they are often patched with other bases. Your scanner can handle patches and you can always scan in search mode but just be aware that a talkgroup that is rarely active can be used in this matter, especially with these reports.

Another example: When the Brant base in Paris are out on the roads they are almost always patched with the pretty much all bases from the Hamilton border all the way out to Waterloo region, thru Oxford, Middlesex, Elgin and out to Essex. Sometimes the talkgroups will appear on the Paris/Brant talkgroup or one of the CAMC (based in Chatham) or LAMC (Bases in London all the way to Paris).

So just make sure that you know which talkgroup is going to affiliate with a tower and be prepared to unlock some of the wide area talkgroups as in the example I gave above.

And lets hope their reports all boring and lame, that means there isn't any bad winter weather, last year I was able to hear too much goings on, all the way from the 416 to 519 at the EC Row Expressway in Windsor!

A Home Patrol scanner allows people to listen to systems like Fleetnet, and not to really understand them or how it works. This can be a blessing but it also makes sure that you don't have to learn how to program or even understand even the bare minimums.

What you will need to know is, for your example:

If you want to listen to the MTO, You are going to have to figure out which fleetnet tower that this detachment is going to affiliate with. You can use the built in data base and allow your scanner to scan all the towers, in your example, Zone 2 but unless you are travelling it might be best to only use the towers in your area or in areas that you may be in and lock out the others, and unlock them and lock others where necessary.

To listen to Lindsay/Peterborough you will need to be the towers that are within a reasonable range of your area. I am also not sure if in your area that the MTO patch together detachments/bases. In the GTA/Niagara/GHA I see patches used on almost daily basis, the Burlington detachment that handles the Kings highways from basically the west end of Toronto to Morriston to Brant/Haldimand, it is patched with Niagara on a regular basis. And when they are called to do their road and weather reports they are often patched with other bases. Your scanner can handle patches and you can always scan in search mode but just be aware that a talkgroup that is rarely active can be used in this matter, especially with these reports.

Another example: When the Brant base in Paris are out on the roads they are almost always patched with the pretty much all bases from the Hamilton border all the way out to Waterloo region, thru Oxford, Middlesex, Elgin and out to Essex. Sometimes the talkgroups will appear on the Paris/Brant talkgroup or one of the CAMC (based in Chatham) or LAMC (Bases in London all the way to Paris).

So just make sure that you know which talkgroup is going to affiliate with a tower and be prepared to unlock some of the wide area talkgroups as in the example I gave above.

And lets hope their reports all boring and lame, that means there isn't any bad winter weather, last year I was able to hear too much goings on, all the way from the 416 to 519 at the EC Row Expressway in Windsor!

Thank you for the info. Very helpful. I'm just wondering how would I get the tower I need in order to listen to them. Also, I'm about 10 km away from the Yard in Lindsay. Would they have a tower there at all or would they have them set up in other spots?

Thank you,

Corey

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. Very helpful. I'm just wondering how would I get the tower I need in order to listen to them. Also, I'm about 10 km away from the Yard in Lindsay. Would they have a tower there at all or would they have them set up in other spots?

Thank you,

Corey

I am not familiar with Zone 2. The towers are listed in the database, if there are towers near your area then the MTO crews you want to listen to will be there as well.

DaveH

Could I also suggest Zone 1 Pontypool (Site 38) and Sunderland (Site 26), as well
as Zone 2 Fenelon Falls (Site 27) which might carry useful traffic.

Also, check the site map which can be found through the Wiki for this system/zone.

Dave

DaveH

Hi Dave,

Thank you,

Corey

I don't know details of how the HP works, but it's good to be aware how MTO uses talkgroups.

Each talkgroup uses 4 "status bits" which results in 16 combinations of the TG.
Some apply to MTO as they use patching and "multi-select" for the road reports.

If you have (say) TG 38368 programmed, and it is patched (to other TGs) it will
show up as 38371 (TG+3). If your scanner is programmed to ignore the status bits, you
will receive any of the 16 permutations; if not, you'll only get the base TG 38368.
You could see 38369 (TG+1) used for the road report reminder announcement prior
to report time (e.g. 9pm). So you may hear some normal operations, but not road reports.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.