Tow truck frequency search bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

When scanning in custom searches which bands do tow truck companies like for instance should I do the following,

150.00 - 151.00 etc

wtp

try

150.815 - 150.965
157.47 - 157.515
452.5125 - 452.6125
down here i have not heard anything in quite some time.
do to one grabbing a tow from the competition they are on cell or computer dispatch.
but you could try...
have fun.

Voyager

When scanning in custom searches which bands do tow truck companies like for instance should I do the following,

150.00 - 151.00 etc

They can be found on any of the business band frequencies. That includes any of the aforementioned frequencies and much, much more.

KB7MIB

There used to be specific frequencies set aside for tow trucks, known as the Automobile Emergency Radio Service, but, they have been consolidated into the business/industrial side of Part 90. As well, tow companies can lease time on trunked radio systems that are open to virtually any business/industrial need.
You're going to need to search through every Part 90 non-public safety frequency in your area, and listen to every non-public safety/military/goverment trunked system in your area, unless you can do an FCC ULS lookup on the name of each tow company in your area. (And the name on the side of the truck, may not be the name in the FCC records.)
Check your state forum, and see if there is already a thread in regards to any tow truck frequencies, or start one. Other local listeners can be a valuable asset for finding and/or identifying frequencies unknown to you.

John
Peoria, AZ

jfhtm350

They could also be using Nextel push to talk which you couldnt monitor. I guess they are still around. I havent heard anything about Nextel in awhile. It was popular a couple years ago with construction companies and such.

RDGDigital

They could also be using Nextel push to talk which you couldnt monitor. I guess they are still around. I havent heard anything about Nextel in awhile. It was popular a couple years ago with construction companies and such.

Nextel merged with Sprint in 2005 and due to Sprint developing newer technology and the Nextel network being incompatible with Sprint's network, Sprint began shuttling it down. In June of 2013 Sprint finally shut down the last remaining vestige of the Nextel network which put an end to their PTT (push to talk) feature.

The whole Sprint/Nextel merger was considered a major misstep on Sprint's part because of the incompatible networks and in the end Sprint had to take a major write off of the deal.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
My area majority have stopped using radios and have gone presumably to cell phones as only a couple left on radios.
I recall talking to an owner of a large towing company here and he stated that his fcc license was due and it would cost him $2,000 or so to renew it.
Sure enough a couple weeks later all has been silent for his company.

DJ11DLN

My area majority have stopped using radios and have gone presumably to cell phones as only a couple left on radios.
I recall talking to an owner of a large towing company here and he stated that his fcc license was due and it would cost him $2,000 or so to renew it.
Sure enough a couple weeks later all has been silent for his company.

That seems to be the direction they are going. Only 1 around here still uses 2-way and they use/lease a commercial EDACS system but very little actual info comes across. I think everybody is afraid of the competition listening in and jumping tows, which I'd have to agree would suck if you are in business.:(

KB7MIB

Computerized dispatching is also a possibility, using some type of MCT/MDC/MDT in the trucks to send jobs to drivers.

Taxi cabs are doing the same as well, to prevent competing companies from stealing fares.

John
Peoria, AZ

ecps92

Depends on where you are.

Many of the Original VHF tow channels have been vacated for DMR
Here in New England our AAA is moving from VHF/UHF to a 900 DMR network (TRBO)
in Northern New England they went with a different DMR format

Other local tow companies might be UHF, UHF-T (for those regions) as well as 900 LTR or TRS

Also, many are having Calls Dispatched via Computer

150.00 - 151.00 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.