Poor stock antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugrat5288

I have just purchased a home patrol 1 at the reduced price being offered now. I find the stock rubber duck to be really lacking at reception in the 100-500 mzh range that I purchased this scanner for. That is where all the action is for fire and police in my area. I have screwed on the rubber duck from my Yaesu vx-6r ht and I find it has hugely improved the signal reception in that frequency range. I'm sure I will be getting an outside antenna this summer for base operation, but like to take it with me outside at times to listen while I do outdoor projects. Anyone found a better portable antenna for it? I know there are a lot of choices but would like some feedback from those testing other portable antennas. Thanks. KB1PDG.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Stock scanner antennas are very wide band. They are average for wide band but not so well for specific bands. For your 100-500 range an amateur dual band antenna would be the best (that's why the Yaesu antenna works so well).

I listen to mostly 700-800 MHz so I use a radio shack 800 MHz antenna with the BNC and right angle adapters, or a Comet CH-32 dual band antenna. The CH-32 is an excellent wide band scanner antenna and is only 1.75 inches long which puts minimal stress on the HP's antenna connector.

The Diamond RH707 would be good for you as it is tuned for 146 MHz and 440 MHz. it is only 8.5 inches and has a hinged base which works good for the HP. (requires the SMA to BNC adapter).

Last edited:

dkf435

Have been using the antenna from my 396XT on the Homepatrol works much better on VHF and about the same as stock for 450 and 700.

David Kb7uns

kb8rvp

I have never used the stock antenna on any of my scanners because most are marginal at best. I always upgrade to an antenna for the frequencies I monitor. You may also need to get a right angle SMA to BNC or SMA to SMA adapter depending on what antenna type you get.

Good luck,

Mike

rugrat5288

I have now also tried the diamond srh320a with really good results. To bad they don't make one with a swivel sma

Status
Not open for further replies.