Pima County/Tucson - BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Merry Christmas to me, finally sprung for the BCD536HP. I saw quite a few threads floating around about Pima COunty/Tucson and PCWIN, but still a bit confused. Can anyone provide a "bullet point" summary of tips/things that will help me get this up and running here in Tucson, when it arrives? Thanks folks!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
My first question would be do you know a lot about programming? I see you have a couple 996's so I'm thinking you have tinkered with software and programming scanners.

MIke

kd7eir

I have some pretty decent favorites lists including TPD, PCSO, RMFD, TFD, etc. TPD and PCSO are set up in such a way that you can easily switch to different teams/districts with quick keys. Let me know if you want a copy and I'll post it for you.

Here's a screenshot showing the basic layout
fl.png

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
I have some pretty decent favorites lists including TPD, PCSO, RMFD, TFD, etc. TPD and PCSO are set up in such a way that you can easily switch to different teams/districts with quick keys. Let me know if you want a copy and I'll post it for you.

Here's a screenshot showing the basic layout
fl.png

That would be awesome, Thank you.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Scott,
I'll be at the last SEARM meeting for 2014 tonight, if you want to come by.

We meet at the Village Inn on Speedway at 6pm until normally 8pm. I won't be able to stay the entire meeting, but can show you a thing or two with that scanner.

Anyone else is welcome to attend...Mike ??

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Darn! Missed another meeting. Was having work done at my house today, so couldn't make it. Thank you for the file. Scanner just arrived, so will need to dig in and figure this one out.

Scott,
I'll be at the last SEARM meeting for 2014 tonight, if you want to come by.

We meet at the Village Inn on Speedway at 6pm until normally 8pm. I won't be able to stay the entire meeting, but can show you a thing or two with that scanner.

Anyone else is welcome to attend...Mike ??

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Got it running with kd7eir's favorites file (Thank you again!). This scanner will take some getting used to compared with my 15X's. Seems I will need to hook it up to my external antenna to receive most things though. Will try that today. I have DP Omni X on the way. Looking forward to installing that. It is great to be monitoring again. I was in the dead zone since the PCWIN switch over.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
The best thing I can tell you is to only scan with the sites in your area. "Avoid" the sites you don't need the scanner to listen in on.

For example, if you live on the east side of Tucson, you might want to have only the following sites on: Simulcast A, Simulcast B, Mt Bigelow, and possibly Haystack Mountain.

If you live by Sahuarita, then you'd probably want Keystone Peak, Childs Mountain, Arivaca, Simulcast A and B.

If you live up in the Oro Valley area, you'd want to focus on Simulcast North, Golder Fire Station, Mt Bigelow, Confidence Peak, and possibly Simulcast A and/or B.

The point of this is too many sites, causes you to either miss transmissions or receive the transmissions from more distant sites at a depressed quality on the scanner.

Experiment and see which gives you the best signal when you are home, vs work, vs on the road.

When I am travelling around the Tucson Metro area, I have Simulcast A & B, Keystone Peak, Mt Bigelow, and Haystack on. If on the fringe, I'll add in the sites for where I'm at.

I've found that when I am outside the Tucson area, turning off Simulcast A and B also helps.

It's a science that you have to figure out which works best for you.

Have fun !

I've been meaning to break the radio up in to geographic areas of PCWIN system for my own scanner. Maybe I'll have to revisit that and see what I can make up there, after I saw the favorite file, it got me to think :)

kd7eir

Using my file the only site that is on is Simulcast A, so some adjustments may need to be made based upon your location.

DanRollman

Database Admin
The best thing I can tell you is to only scan with the sites in your area. "Avoid" the sites you don't need the scanner to listen in on.

For example, if you live on the east side of Tucson, you might want to have only the following sites on: Simulcast A, Simulcast B, Mt Bigelow, and possibly Haystack Mountain.

If you live by Sahuarita, then you'd probably want Keystone Peak, Childs Mountain, Arivaca, Simulcast A and B.

If you live up in the Oro Valley area, you'd want to focus on Simulcast North, Golder Fire Station, Mt Bigelow, Confidence Peak, and possibly Simulcast A and/or B.

The point of this is too many sites, causes you to either miss transmissions or receive the transmissions from more distant sites at a depressed quality on the scanner.

Experiment and see which gives you the best signal when you are home, vs work, vs on the road.

When I am travelling around the Tucson Metro area, I have Simulcast A & B, Keystone Peak, Mt Bigelow, and Haystack on. If on the fringe, I'll add in the sites for where I'm at.

I've found that when I am outside the Tucson area, turning off Simulcast A and B also helps.

It's a science that you have to figure out which works best for you.

Have fun !

I've been meaning to break the radio up in to geographic areas of PCWIN system for my own scanner. Maybe I'll have to revisit that and see what I can make up there, after I saw the favorite file, it got me to think :)

John, what have you been seeing in terms of duplication of transmissions (or lack thereof)? Clearly the mountaintop transmitters (and Simulcast North) do not carry all traffic. But does Simulcast A and/or B?

In other words, clearly if you can't receive Simulcast A or B well, you need to also scan other towers closer to your location. But if you're receiving Simulcast A/B well, is there any reason to scan other towers?

And have you figured out how traffic in the city is split between Simulcast A and B?

Thanks,
Dan

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Great info, thank you again. I live in Northwest Tucson, so any suggestions on what I should be excluding from your favorites list?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Using my file the only site that is on is Simulcast A, so some adjustments may need to be made based upon your location.

Has anyone determine good AGC and P25 Threshold settings to improve PCWIN audio decoding on the 436/536?

Thanks,
Dan

mothertrucker

Has anyone determine good AGC and P25 Threshold settings to improve PCWIN audio decoding on the 436/536?

Thanks,
Dan

I've been wondering about the same thing Dan.
Afraid to go in & change the settings for fear of making the reception worse than it is already.

I know they have been trying to tweak with the 436/536 reception in the Uniden section for almost a year now but the results are all over the page.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-owner-tech-support/285012-test-p25-decode-improvement.html

Last edited:

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering too. I have everything working ok I think, but the audio is not so great at times. I did manage to get the Proscan virtual interface working, which is great. Proscan makes it so that I don't have to use the physical buttons on my scanners. Keeps them like new :)

I've been wondering about the same thing Dan.
Afraid to go in & change the settings for fear of making the reception worse than it is already.

I know they have been trying to tweak with the 436/536 reception in the Uniden section for almost a year now but the results are all over the page.
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-owner-tech-support/285012-test-p25-decode-improvement.html

TucsonDirect

A little off topic but i am working on getting PCWIN to scan and decode via the RTL SDR donges. Using a Kali Linux VM image so it can be distributed. There will also be an option for decoding Encrypted channels (In the event you have authorization and the proper keys) Will update when decent progress is made :)

Status
Not open for further replies.