Unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

Okay I was having problems with Unitrunker so I completely uninstalled it and re downloaded it. So now I have a fresh copy in my download folder. I click on the Unitrunker Icon and a window pops up asking me if I want to run the program so I click yes and the program installs and I now have a desktop icon.
I click on the desktop icon and a box pops up and I have the option of selecting first time installation or upgrade, I select first time. and continue. Now this is where i am now running into my first problem. I am suppose to select the rtl2832 button but it is not shaded meaning I can't select it. Why would I not be able to select it? If I can't select it I can't proceed so I have to solve this problem first, thanks.

MB

joeuser

The Wretched
Okay I was having problems with Unitrunker so I completely uninstalled it and re downloaded it. So now I have a fresh copy in my download folder. I click on the Unitrunker Icon and a window pops up asking me if I want to run the program so I click yes and the program installs and I now have a desktop icon.
I click on the desktop icon and a box pops up and I have the option of selecting first time installation or upgrade, I select first time. and continue. Now this is where i am now running into my first problem. I am suppose to select the rtl2832 button but it is not shaded meaning I can't select it. Why would I not be able to select it? If I can't select it I can't proceed so I have to solve this problem first, thanks.

MB

I would guess some other program or instance of UT already is accessing the dongle

SCPD

QRT
Hi moonbounce;

I click yes and the program installs and I now have a desktop icon.
I click on the desktop icon and a box pops up and
Read through the MSI installer discussion, you'll find that the installer generated desktop shortcut is bad. On a fresh, new install, the easier thing is to delete the short-cut and launch the program from the Start menu.

If the program is running, please exit. Delete that troublesome shortcut from your desktop. The other thread has a description of the steps to run the program from the Windows 8.1 start menu (which is quite different from the Windows 7 and earlier start menus).

I am suppose to select the rtl2832 button but it is not shaded meaning I can't select it. Why would I not be able to select it?
I have to guess here so I may be way off.

You clicked the "+" tool button on the Receivers tab to add a new receiver. You want to click the "RTL2832U" button but can't because it's greyed out. Correct?

A greyed-out button means the program does not see any RTL2832U devices currently plugged into your computer. Cancel the dialog. Plug an RTL stick into your computer. Allow a few seconds for the Windows Plug-N-Play process. Click the Refresh button on the Receivers tab.

Now click the "+" button on the Receivers tab. The button should be click-able at this point.

moonbounce

That was exactly what was happening, I didn't have the dongles plugged in (smart like stick, eh) I did delete the shortcut on the desktop and started it from the start menu, worked perfect.

Right now I am running Unitrunker on my desktop, once I get everything figured out I am going to put it on my laptop. My laptop can handle SDR Sharp with the frequency Manager and an RTL dongle but adding DSD any version and VB Cable and it takes a hissy fit and I get no signal at all. So I am hoping that I won't have that problem with Unitrunker.

So far everything is working almost perfect i am receiving the analog signal no problem but when a digital signal comes on i can see the frequency in green but i get no sound. The frequencies are shared between and analog system and an Ap 25 signal.

On the signal and the voice receiver I have analog out on my speakers and digital out is the VB cable, I have tried different combinations but I still don't get and Ap 25 decode. I was not even getting the digital noise until now, I just got a burst of digital noise? Anyway i will wait to hear from you, thanks for your other reply. I probably won't be able to do anything until tomorrow night as I am at work this weekend and trying to squeeze in some Christmas shopping, all the best.

Moonbounce

SCPD

QRT
digital out is the VB cable,
Set that for the voice role receiver. Set the signal receiver's Digital output to "Nothing".

On the voice role receiver window, there are two P25 check boxes. Check the one under the "Control" section. That will enable routing digital calls to that receiver. The other check box is for decoding P25 control channels - which does not apply while the receiver is operating in the voice following role. When a digital call is active and routed to this receiver, the digital output will be enabled - giving DSD(+) a chance to decode.

moonbounce

So I got to make the changes and still nothing. If I could stick with the signal side first, under the Control heading I have an x in both mute and deephasis boxes. Under the Audio Output heading I have both the Audio Output and Digital Output set to unspecified and an x in the P25 box as P25 decode is all I am after.
Next heading is Decode, and all I have there is the APCO P25 box with an x in it.

In the Universal Trunker page under options I have an X in the listen box.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks
Moonbounce

SCPD

QRT
under the Control heading I have an x in both mute and deephasis boxes.
Under the Audio Output heading I have both the Audio Output and Digital Output set to unspecified and an x in the P25 box as P25 decode is all I am after.
Set the audio output to your speakers. While un-muted, you can hear the control channel buzz and get a sense of how noisy it might be (and to set the squelch). You can check the mute box later to mute the noise. Leave the P25 box under Control un-checked. That's for voice following, not decoding.

Also, leave "Drift Correct" off for now.

I'm assuming you have an R820T based RTL stick. Click the run button to start the receiver. The running state should say "running". If it doesn't, check that you selected the device above in the "Signal" section next to "RTL Device". If the device isn't visible, click the Refresh button above to update the list of RTL receivers in the RTL Device combo box.

With the receiver running, look at the 'Scope tab. You should see an active waveform. Even a noisy waveform is a good sign that at least you're receiving something.

Your RTL stick needs to be calibrated. If you know the correction value, type that in next to "Correction" under the Control section.

Next step is to set the squelch. Tune to a dead area. The squelch value should result in dead quiet. Tune to an active control channel - you should hear the control channel noise over your speakers.

Next heading is Decode, and all I have there is the APCO P25 box with an x in it.

That sounds good.

The site you are monitoring is likely new to the program and receiver. Check "Discover" to allow the program to automatically detect what's there. After you've accumulated enough information, you can turn discover off and use the "Pick Site" tool to choose which previously logged site you wish to monitor.

In the Universal Trunker page under options I have an X in the listen box.

Good.

AFTER you are happy with your set-up and a good correction value for a warmed up RTL stick, check the Drift Correct box in the Control Section. This will compensate for changes in room temperature.

If you need more help on this, please post a screen shot of your receiver window.

moonbounce

Thanks Unitrunker, but can I ask another question? The control channel shows up automatically in the site page, do all the other frequencies follow suit or do I add them?

Thanks
Moonbounce

moonbounce

Unitrunker thanks for your help and patience, and for sharing this excellent program.

So I have one more question, I have everything up and running, the only problem I have now is that while listening to the AP25 decoded signal I am still hearing the digital noise. I know with SDR Sharp the AGC has to be down around 10 to 15, is the gain on Unitrunker the same thing? I did try running it around 100, maybe I should try 10 and higher increments. Anyways I had to stop for the night, I' ll be back again tomorrow and experiment some more.

Thanks again
Moonbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.