DSD+ not decoding audio with Unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglogdog

I have read through various threads to find my answer and have tried not to post, but here we go. I'm running Unitrunker 1.0.29.5 and DSD+ 1.51. with 2x RTL-SDR dongles. The dongles were calibrated appropriately using SDR#. In unitrunker, I have two receivers, one to decode the signal and the other to decode voice. I am able to decode the P25 system with no problems and have a solid signal.. For the voice receiver, I have the audio piped to DSD+ using a VB virtual audio cable. Whenever there is activity on a digital talkgroup, the DSD source audio is showing a signal, but it will not decode it. I feel the solution is quite trivial, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,651

joeuser

The Wretched
I unchecked deemphasis on both dongles. Go ahead an unchecked anything not related to P25 & analog. See if I can find my setups pic for ya

joeuser

The Wretched
521cc136e90193f32a3452a0521714d9.jpg

7d138577606ccb6912a12b32ea7d81d8.jpg

biglogdog

Ok thanks for the input, but still not decoding. I wonder if the problem is the antenna I am using. I'm using the basic antenna that comes with the dongle. I've ordered LMR400 coax and a discone antenna. I'll keep updates posted.

nlurker

Have you tried using SDR# to tune the voice signal? I was never able to get intelligible voice from UniTrunker & DSD+. Using SDR# & DSD+, I get great voice. I guess it is because of all the extra fine-tuning controls in SDR#, but I'm not really sure.

SCPD

QRT
joeuser is running an older version of the program so the screen shots will be slightly different.

The advice to turn off Deemphasis is obsolete. The program has separate audio paths for digital vs. analog audio. The Deemphasis check box applies to the analog audio which is normally sent to your speakers.

The digital audio path is what is normally directed to a program like DSD(+) so it should have no effect on DSD(+) decoding.

SCPD

QRT
biglogdog: your screen shot indicates less the perfect decoding of the control channel.

Let's get that fixed first. On your signal receiver:

Make sure the correction value is very accurate. Check this in a program like SDR# with the RTL stick fully warmed up.

1. update the correction value to a good warmed up value.
2. turn on Baseband AGC.
3. turn off AGC
4. set the manual gain to somewhere between 300 and 450.
5. set the squelch so that the receiver is quiet when tuned to a frequency where no signal is present.

You should also try these setting in SDR# where you can see the effect in the FFT window. You want the signal peak to rise above the noise floor as much as possible without touching the ceiling.

You should be able to obtain close to 100% decode on the first RTL stick.

Stop the first RTL stick and set the second RTL stick to the Signal role. Duplicate the same settings as the first RTL stick. This includes specifying an audio output device. You need to hear the audio to validate the receiver settings and to set the squelch. The correction value will be different.

You should be able to obtain close to 100% decode of the control channel on the second RTL stick.

Stop the second RTL stick and set it to voice role.

Restart both sticks. You should be up and running on both receivers.

To cope with thermal drift, turn on auto correction on both receivers. This feature requires a good squelch setting to work.

In summary, if your configured receiver works well in the signal role, it should work fine in the voice role.

biglogdog

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread.
Just an update, I was able to get it working. The only problem was the second stick used for the voice role was no calibrated correctly! Thanks to everyone for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.