BD999xt and 369xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 conventual groups scanning in my scanners and then the New MSCOMM trunking and CMP trunking. How can I make my scanner scan through all the freqs faster so I dont miss a hit or tranmission?? I also use Freescann to program if that may help???

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Maybe you could spellcheck the model numbers in your title. The ones you have there don't exist.

phask

Premium Subscriber
How many sites? That is about all that can speed it up, and less conventional.

I have 2 conventual groups scanning in my scanners and then the New MSCOMM trunking and CMP trunking. How can I make my scanner scan through all the freqs faster so I dont miss a hit or tranmission?? I also use Freescann to program if that may help???

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering if i can speed up the scanning but itsounds like i can not cause i have too much in there

rbm

For the conventional frequencies .....

If you have CTCSS or DCS tones programmed for a frequency, any signal on that frequency will cause the scanner to stop long enough to analyze the tone while looking for a match.

That can slow down the scanning quite a bit.

I had that problem a few years ago with very weak, distant signals.
I had to create a duplicate system file with no tones to find what was slowing down the scanning of that system.
That allowed me to see which frequencies were causing the problem.

Then, I moved some of those frequencies to another scanner on a less sensitive antenna and with one or two of them I turned the attenuator on for that specific frequency.

Other than that, I try to limit the number of frequencies I scan with each radio.
That's one reason I have as many scanners as I do.

The more frequencies you scan, the more transmissions you'll miss.

Rich

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also be aware of the difference between 'Hold' and 'Delay' - that too will slow things down. Look for the topics on 'hold time' and 'delay time' in the Easier to Read manual

Mike

rwier

Premium Subscriber
" ... I try to limit the number of frequencies I scan with each radio.
That's one reason I have as many scanners as I do. ..... The more frequencies you scan, the more transmissions you'll miss." ... Rich

A "Truism" that reminds me of an Axiom (High School Geometry Class). The more important the transmissions of a particular TG/Channel are to the listener, the less number of competing TGs/Channels can be allowed. This statement is in no way intended as an affront to those in financial stress.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Also be aware of the difference between 'Hold' and 'Delay' - that too will slow things down. Look for the topics on 'hold time' and 'delay time' in the Easier to Read manual

Mike

what is the difference. Its tough to sit down antry to read Mikes maunyulls and even harders to read the bible!!!

phask

Premium Subscriber
in the truncking sysytem I would say 150 freq tops and convet i wouls say 75 or less in each???

Does that mean 75 or so sites? If so - I can't imagine needing that many trunked sites.

Don't bother scanning ones you can't receive.

Remember - I asked sites, not freqs. trunk speed is dependent of sites, once it finds the CC ut take about 2 sces. to scan (more or less). It doesn't matter how many freqs. or talk groups..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
what is the difference. Its tough to sit down antry to read Mikes maunyulls and even harders to read the bible!!!

From the 396XT Easier to Read manual...

Set Hold Time sets (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner will scan the system before moving on to the next system. All (unlocked) channels will be scanned at least once regardless of this setting. The scanner moves to the next system after the hold time expires, any current transmission ends, and the channel delay time expires. The default setting is 2 seconds for each system.
Tip: set your systems to 0.
Scroll to 'Set Hold Time' and press E/yes.
Enter the hold time (0-255 seconds) you desire and press E/yes to save and exit.

Set Delay Time sets the delay (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner stays on a channel after the transmission has ended before moving to the next channel. A negative delay will force a resume after that number of seconds. This setting applies to all channels in the system. You cannot set the delay on a 'per channel' basis. The default setting is 2 seconds.
Scroll to 'Set Delay Time' and press E/yes.
Scroll to the desired delay time (-10, -5, -2, 0, 1, 2, 5, 10, or 30 secs.) and press E/yes to save and exit.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Something's real fishy here - neither CMP nor MSCOMM have nearly that many sites. Are you getting your info from here, Scan New England, or somewhere else?

Sounds like a setup issue here, frankly. I agree with one of the other posters that suggested removing things you can't hear. I would start with limiting your sites to your home county and perhaps 1 or 2 neighboring ones. Then gradually build out from there.

On VHF you shouldn't have an issue getting 35+ miles out, and on 800, 20 miles is not out of the question with an antenna at 100 foot assuming you're above all the local obstacles, and you're using good quality LMR or similar as the coax to minimize losses. Start with that - what's in that radius that you might have a shot at hearing?

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Possible but don't think so, since MSCOMM doesn't have hardly any talkgroups in the db listing.

Without seeing the programming, we're all shooting in the dark here...Mike

teufler

oxford cty

here is a file you can try. Control Channels only, less to scan through, sites for Mscomm are set, so you can turn off sitets that slow things down. hold time is 1,

Attachments

• oxford cty maine.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 53

teufler

oxford cty 2

I am sorry, I put sites for MSCOMM one county north of you. this file has the correct county. All frequencies on trunking locked out except control channels.Delay time set to one though I have found that a short setting, the scanner starts scanning again before a response is broadcast. I use a 2 setting.

Attachments

• oxford cty maine2.zip
    4 KB · Views: 59

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Something's real fishy here - neither CMP nor MSCOMM have nearly that many sites. Are you getting your info from here, Scan New England, or somewhere else?

Sounds like a setup issue here, frankly. I agree with one of the other posters that suggested removing things you can't hear. I would start with limiting your sites to your home county and perhaps 1 or 2 neighboring ones. Then gradually build out from there.

On VHF you shouldn't have an issue getting 35+ miles out, and on 800, 20 miles is not out of the question with an antenna at 100 foot assuming you're above all the local obstacles, and you're using good quality LMR or similar as the coax to minimize losses. Start with that - what's in that radius that you might have a shot at hearing?

Mike

All my info comes from Scan NE

Status
Not open for further replies.