Help! Bought this new scanner for my father...I'm used to setting up analog scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelga1

Premium Subscriber
I just gave this scanner to my dad as a christmas present. I've downloaded and programmed all of the local channels/bands to the scanner. As it scans the group all I here is a loud "Buzz" for a few seconds and then silence. i'm attaching a screenshot...Is it just because the antenna isn't strong enough?

I downloaded the settings from RR....is there something I should change in the "Tone" setting?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm in middle georgia

Attachments

• scanner screen.jpg
    scanner screen.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 488

Voyager

How are you powering it? It may be coming from the power supply. If on batteries, it may be interference from an electrical device or the PC itself.

michaelga1

Premium Subscriber
I have tried both the AC power and the battery - it happens with both. I've manually adjusted the squelch through all levels too. Nothing. Just shows the sherriff's office dispatch...a loud buzz...or the fire department dispatch and a loud buzz. no voices, no transmissions....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 'Global IF Exchange ' (IFX) is not on this screen - you can find it under 'Setup Scanner Options' then select the 'Frequencies' tab (in Freescan)

Mike

teufler

Twiggs Cty

The loud buzzing sound maybe Jones Cty, they have a NXDN NEXEDGE System that the 396xt can not decode. First try a weather frequency or a local fm broadcast station. If they are clear, its not electrical interference. Second I have sent a file for twiggs cty, that has Macon Ga, a trunked system you should be able to pick up. Counties around Twiggs are also there. Jones Cty has the system assigned to quick key 5. You can deselect by punching the 5 button once or twice. Two times its lockled out copmpletely. Once locked out until you power up again.Like I said before, the buzzing sound is what a NXDN sounds like. If the sound is exactly like what you have been hearing, might be receiver overload because the Jones Cty frequencies and Twiggs are not real close. Possibly, if over load, turn attenuation
To toggle the attenuation for a conventional channel on or off Hold on the channel and press Func then 7(att). Press Hold to resume.
To toggle the attenuation for a trunking site on or off Hold on the site and press Func then 7(att). Press Hold to resume.
To toggle the attenuation for a search on or off (Search with Scan) press Func then 7(att) while searching. (or hold first).
To toggle global attenuation Hold on any channel and press Func then press and hold 7(att).

Just stabbing in the dark but this might be the answer.

Attachments

• twiggs cty ga.zip
    3 KB · Views: 47

Voyager

Jones Cty has the system assigned to quick key 5. You can deselect by punching the 5 button once or twice. Two times its lockled out copmpletely.

Pressing a Quick Key twice will only disable, then re-enable it. You cannot lock something out (temporary/permanent lockout) using Quick Keys. You have to use the lockout button for that.

Voyager

I find the Quick Keys work better (especially when it comes time to re-enable something), but to each their own.

michaelga1

Premium Subscriber
Still no luck

I've tried a little bit of every option to get it to work. I still can't get more than just a motorboat type noise and then it just keeps scanning. No audio at all.

teufler

its like w8rmh said, its mototrbo or nxdn, systems that some areas have gone too. The scourge of the air , falls in line with encryption. Unfortunate but a growing way of life. Seems in Eastern time zone they are more systems that scanners can't pick up than here in cental or points west. Either this or there are more more RR listens back east because I read more about, "how do I get this or that "..No fault of the users,

Status
Not open for further replies.