HP-2 vs. 436 or 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingray327

How many favorite lists can you create in the HP-2? Is it less than the 436 or 536?
I also notice a difference in the 2 GB card that comes in the HP-2 and the 4 GB card that comes in both 436 and 536. Any reason for this? Why doesn't the HP-2 come with a 4 GB card?
Do you loose alot of features between the 436 and the HP-2?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
As to why 2 Gb card in the HP2, only Uniden probably knows, but you can put larger size (memory) cards in the HP2, 436, and 536. Up to 32 Gb I think.
I have all of these scanners, and they are all pretty good. However, if you are only going to get one of them, then there are other considerations. I always tend to favor the 436HP or 536HP, but that is with the caveat (condition) that eventually the analyze function and WiFi option are available. The 436HP is a true handheld (albeit it large) and the 536 is a true mobile/base. The HP1 and HP2 are kind of clunky for portable use. But if you are going to use them at home most of the time, or mount in your car, or take to a hotel with you, they are great.
Hands down, the color display on the HP2 is clearly a winner in terms of visual appeal. And the extreme analyze features are an obvious advantage. Frankly, even if the analyze features finally become available for the x36HPs, it is going probably going to be less visually stellar than on the HP2.
I like the QKs on the x36HPs, and if you like to tinker with a lot of settings (as I do), the x36HPs offer more settings. The x36HPs also have a true NFM filter, whereas the HP2 does not (this issue has been discussed extensively on other threads).
That said, if I could only buy one scanner that included the ability for P25 phase II at this point, I probably would go with the HP2. I think for the majority of people who want to have a good listening experience and a visually appealing interface, the HP2 is simpler to use, and very good for what most people need in this modern day of digital trunking systems. For the hard core scanners (I include myself) that like to play with a lot of different features, every scanner available has its pros and cons. Each of the scanners I list below have certain features that I like.There is no one scanner out there that will meet everyone's needs.
Steve AA6IO

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So, you’re saying that if one can only afford to buy ONE scanner (which is my situation), that the HP-2 is the preferable way to go? My main concern(s) is/are the use of an external speaker (I’d heard that it won’t work and also that it will, but you need an amplified speaker, because the unit has only a 32-ohm headphone jack rather than an 8-ohm speaker jack; and the ability to relatively easily delete from the database what I DON’T and hear only the systems that I DO want.

With the speaker issue, I need to be able to hear the scanner clearly without having to turn off the car radio and turn off the AC. Will it be loud enough? And antenna, I’d want to use a trunk-mounted antenna such as the Austin Spectra.

How well does the HP-2 “hear” VHF-Lo? Specifically 42 Mhz. I am on the highways a lot and like to listen to the CHP when I’m out on the road. Hard to find antennas that are tuned that low.

I don’t “need” most of the whiz-bang features of the new scanners, but do need “digital” so I can hear LAPD and my local PD (Simi Valley). I don’t care about “Fire Tone Out” or “Close Call”, or the ability to record transmissions. I DO care about ease of use because it will be in my car. I don’t see a need to manually enter frequencies on-the-fly so the lack of a actual physical keypad is a non-issue. What I like about the HP-1/2 is that I can put in my zip code and select the “range” I’m interested in. I do plan on using the GPS feature to change-as-I-go. I’m thinking, set it to “10 miles”, maybe “25 miles” and leave it at that.

How does the HP receiver compare with that of the BCD536? What can the 536 do that the HP can’t? Or, perhaps, a better question would be what kind of person wants one or the other? What can I do with one that I can’t do with the other, and vice versa? Right now, I’m leaning towards the HP-2, based on what I THINK I want in a scanner. I’m just wondering, is it as GOOD of a scanner, in terms of the receiver quality, as the 536 is?

Last edited:

Voyager

Yes, you need an amplified speaker, as there is no external speaker jack on the HP-x series.

For selective monitoring, create a Favorites List. You can delete anything.

Don't know how loud you play the radio, so.... :D

All the scanners pick up VHF-Lo about the same.

Based on all but one of your comments, I would say the HP-x is the way to go. BUT, being in LA you may want/need the better filtering of the 536.

The 536 has the WiFi (likely doesn't matter), Close Call and FTO (you said you don't care), and a more mobile friendly form factor. But, the display on the HP is one of the best in the industry. You've got a difficult choice. You can enter the range on the 536 as well, and GPS on either unit. If it were me, I would go with the 536 just based on the better filtering, but as I said, it's not a simple choice. Neither is clearly better in all respects.

marksmith

Good luck if you plan on trying to read the display on the 536 while mobile. You better have terrific eyesight. The HP1/3 screen is the best in the business, especially for mobile purposes. I run hp2 as mobile with gps, range is set to zero automatically in gps capable radios. You can't set to 25 miles and use gps. I have no trouble hearing my hp2 over my serius

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I keep using my 436HP in the car. I am going to have to mount that my HP2 and start using that. Don't know why I have been waiting. Sounds like you get good results Mark.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
KB6KGX DE AA6IO
I think the 536HP probably has a better receiver than the HP-2 because of the NFM filter. There are definitely things I can hear on the 536HP in terms of weak trunking sites that I cannot hear on the HP2. However, that is kind of a scanner DX situation in a base station set-up with my 440 and 800 Mhz yagis.
For practical purposes, including listening to reasonably strong stations like the CHP, the HP2 does fine. You just don't have the priority channel features and some other things like the 536HP. But as Mark points out, the display is not exactly a high point of either the 436HP or 536HP, especially when you are driving a car. For mobile, I can see why many prefer the great display of the HP1/2. I have both the HP1/2, and the HP2, IMHO, is a more sensitive, better P25-decoding scanner than the HP1.
I am going to put mine in the car later today and follow Mark's lead.

Voyager

I keep using my 436HP in the car. I am going to have to mount that my HP2 and start using that. Don't know why I have been waiting. Sounds like you get good results Mark.

I happen to have an ashtray/cupholder that pulls out straight and makes a nice HP-x shelf.

stingray327

I use the 436 in the car. I don't like the display screen on the 436. The life span on the 3 AA batteries on 436 is very short. It goes through batteries fast. Also the scanner isn't ergonomic in that if you pick it up the scanner it will completely stop scanning because of the lever on the side of scanner is easily touched. You just have to be careful how you handle this scanner unlike other scanners. Plus it takes at least 3 clicks to get the scanner back into action after going back and forth on the favorite lists. The scanner appears to be cheaply made as the knob is very loose.

I use the HP-2 for home use and the audio is fine at home along with the easy to see and read display. In the car I use an amplfied computer speaker with its own battery supply. I like the HP-2 alot better as a base station than the 436 especially if I use the 436 as a base station. When I have used HP-2 in car the screen was difficult to see in the sunlight. The HP-2 is alot user friendly than the 436. I do think the 436 has a better receiver than the HP-2 but I use an outdoor antenna (ST-2) so HP-2 receives great with the outdoor antenna.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I agree with using the HP2 while mobile. With a RAM windshield mount and GPS it can't be beat. I've found myself using the HP2 more and more over the 436HP for most of my general scanning in the car or in the house.

tumegpc

Same here, I took my 436HP mobile for a couple weeks. I found it way more difficult to operate vs the HP-1 and the 396XT. Physically the 436HP is too big to operate with one hand. I noticed too that the screen is too busy and takes me a second or two longer to read the smaller fonts.
I find that the 436HP works best with the GPS when mounted , but again difficult to access the FUNC and MENU keys.

One thing here to consider is that more and more states are passing a law where you can't text while driving. And trying to operate the 436HP or any other handheld scanner may look like "texting" and cost you a ticket.

The HP-1 or 2 with GPS on Ram mount is my favorite and safest mobile setup.

mitbr

I don't have the hp2 but have the hp1....I took the 436hp and hp1 into the car at the same time both scanning the same p25 system both using the same rs 800 antenna.
The 436 never stopped talking as I drove around and the hp1 had long periods of silence.Rf overload killed the decode on the hp1 in my area.

Make sure with hp2 if using it in the car it is decoding correctly or you might miss allot of the action.
Tim

Voyager

You must have small hands. Mine are about average and I have no issues with operating any of the buttons.

tumegpc

You must have small hands. Mine are about average and I have no issues with operating any of the buttons.

Is there anything you can't do with a Uniden.? You need to write a Uniden for Dummies cause you seem to have all the answers.

Last edited:

stingray327

I don't have the hp2 but have the hp1....I took the 436hp and hp1 into the car at the same time both scanning the same p25 system both using the same rs 800 antenna.
The 436 never stopped talking as I drove around and the hp1 had long periods of silence.Rf overload killed the decode on the hp1 in my area.

Make sure with hp2 if using it in the car it is decoding correctly or you might miss allot of the action.
Tim

tHE 436 STILL has a better receiver than HP-2 in car but if using HP-2 as a base with a ST-2 antenna I have found the reception on HP-2 just fine.

mitbr

tHE 436 STILL has a better receiver than HP-2 in car but if using HP-2 as a base with a ST-2 antenna I have found the reception on HP-2 just fine.

Its funny you say this because that is what I do with my hp1 sits on the couch beside me while watching tv.
Tim

Voyager

Is there anything you can't do with a Uniden.? You need to write a Uniden for Dummies cause you seem to have all the answers.

Well, if you hold the scanner in your right hand (assuming you are right handed) with your hand about centered midway up the unit with only your fingertips sticking out the left side - basically your fingers, but only your fingers behind the scanner, your thumb should reach both the AVOID and the CHANNEL buttons (both corners). If it doesn't, you may be holding it too far into your palm. At the same time, your middle finger should be able to reach the MENU and FUNCTION buttons. If you need the scroll knob, just let the scanner slide slightly until you can turn the scroll knob between your index finger and thumb, then slide your hand back down holding the bottom of the scanner against your leg, belly, or whatever is convenient.

If you are left handed, do the same thing but press the FUNCTION and MENU buttons with your thumb.

Try it. It works.

stingray327

Well, if you hold the scanner in your right hand (assuming you are right handed) with your hand about centered midway up the unit with only your fingertips sticking out the left side - basically your fingers, but only your fingers behind the scanner, your thumb should reach both the AVOID and the CHANNEL buttons (both corners). If it doesn't, you may be holding it too far into your palm. At the same time, your middle finger should be able to reach the MENU and FUNCTION buttons. If you need the scroll knob, just let the scanner slide slightly until you can turn the scroll knob between your index finger and thumb, then slide your hand back down holding the bottom of the scanner against your leg, belly, or whatever is convenient.

If you are left handed, do the same thing but press the FUNCTION and MENU buttons with your thumb.

Try it. It works.

Thanks I will try that. I notice with this scanner using the GPS feature for first time today I had to constantly press the "Avoid" button. Too much junk out there like static and especially on the "Business" freqs. Perhaps I should have unchecked that from the selection. I did set the range to 00.

Status
Not open for further replies.