Need Help With SDR Setup Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I have successfully installed SDR# on win 7 and my Dongles with ZADIG. They are RTL2832U with T820 tuners if my eyes are correct. It works fine for radio listening and manual scanning of am, fm, side-bands but where is the digital decoding capability? I have also run these with GQRX in Kali Linux, moving on.

I have tried to get Unitrunker working but haven ever had success, gave up on it a while ago. Is there any other software setups that can do this? Are there any p25 decoders for SDR#? I wouldn't be against Linux programs either. I just need a simple setup process, preferably with good directions.

I figured this would be the best place to ask for help.

Flatliner

Hello. I have successfully installed SDR# on win 7 and my Dongles with ZADIG. They are RTL2832U with T820 tuners if my eyes are correct. It works fine for radio listening and manual scanning of am, fm, side-bands but where is the digital decoding capability? I have also run these with GQRX in Kali Linux, moving on.

I have tried to get Unitrunker working but haven ever had success, gave up on it a while ago. Is there any other software setups that can do this? Are there any p25 decoders for SDR#? I wouldn't be against Linux programs either. I just need a simple setup process, preferably with good directions.

I figured this would be the best place to ask for help.

SDR# doesn't have digital decoding modes, and only handles the de-modulation. There are third-party plugins, which can add controls for what are otherwise external applications, such as DSD+, with decodes P25 Phase 1. The best way is to pipe to an virtual audio cable and use DSD+, MultiPSK etc.

Last edited:

sporter

Premium Subscriber

I've been using unitrunker with an 820 and it works very well

I've been watching traffic on the local statewide p25 system sites this morning with it

DSDPlus also works well

as for setup...unitrunker just worked, I didn't have to do anything special

DSDPlus is a bit tougher (command line interface), but it will decode p25

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
I ran into a few issues back when trying out Unitrunker. I ran into dll issues i couldnt ever get it to trunk properly.

Is there a write up on how to do this simply?

sporter

Premium Subscriber
ok, I think I sense the issue

here's a quote from the unitrunker page in the wiki:

"UniTrunker supports control channel monitoring for the following trunking types:"

and it goes on to list several trunking systems, which includes p25

note that it monitors (and decodes) control channels

now, continuing the quote:

"UniTrunker cannot monitor or decode conventional P25 data or audio"

so that may be what you were looking for

If you wish to decode p25 audio, DSDPlus will do so

unitrunker runs independent of SDR software

DSDPlus uses the output of SDR software. I use SDR# to control the 820

hope that clears it up a bit

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
Going through this page https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/ i see something different from my setup. My Zadig shows the dongle as a 2838u not a 2832u, will this cause any issues?

Im going to try and follow this page from start to finish and see how it goes. I think this is the same page i tried before and hit a wall.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
So you need SDR# on the control channel with the audio output to unitrunker. And then Unitrunker output into DSDplus to decode the P25.

You will also need a program like virtual audio cable to split route all the audio.

Maybe there are other ways but that works for me.

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
So you need SDR# on the control channel with the audio output to unitrunker. And then Unitrunker output into DSDplus to decode the P25.

You will also need a program like virtual audio cable to split route all the audio.

Maybe there are other ways but that works for me.

Ok let me see if i get this. SDR# to Unitrunker via VAC? Can i use the stereo bridge that's included in my OS?

The modified rtlsdr.dll file is to allow that installation of SDR# to control the frequency that its following?

I have two dongles that i wish to use for this. One for the control and one to follow.

I ran into issues with the installation of Cygwin last time. The part where it asks what files i need during installation. Should i install normal or in advanced mode?

Thanks so far everyone.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
There are some great tutorials on youtube. Check them out if you can.

If you have all the latest versions of of all software you wont need Cygwin.

And let me correct myself....you need 2 versions of sdr# running. One on the control channel and the other for voice. Control sdr gets routed to unitrunker and the voice sdr routed to DSDplus.

Like I said maybe there are other ways but this is the only way i can get it to work. And same with analog trunking but i just dont run DSD.

Here is how I am setup minus the Cygawin part.....
http://youtu.be/Ii2h0Y1w-x8

Last edited:

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
Ok i got VAC installed and running 2 cables. I have gotten the control to pick up the stations and talk groups.

When i open the voice SDR# it gives me an error.
Screenshot by Lightshot

This happened right after i added the plugin line to the conf file.

I cant get uni to start the voice either.
http://prntscr.com/5l4kon

Any ideas? I really want to get this system working.

I have more questions but ill save them for another thread as they aren't relevant here.

Last edited:

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
I clearly don't have a clue as to what im doing. Besides banging my head off the desk lol

Can anyone fill me in with a simple difinitive guide to setting thios up. I have tried umpteen youtube videos and tuts from several sites. NONE show me how to get it working. Every methos ends in a different disaster.

It shouldn't be this hard.

I would be glad to give someone team viewer access temporarily to set it up for me.

I have been here three days solid trying to get it going and nothing.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This post will not answer any of your current questions. It's meant to save you some trouble down the road though.

In SDR#, at least for the copy whose audio will eventually be piped into DSDPlus for decoding, you need to absolutely, positively, make sure that "Filter Audio" and "Unity Gain" are UNchecked under the Audio section in SDRSharp. Unity Gain is not checked by default, which is good. However, I'm pretty sure that "Filter Audio" is enabled by default. And you do not want to filter audio that is going to be used by DSDPlus.

In actuality, unless you are listening to the demodulated audio (SSB, FM, WFM, etc) directly in SDR#, you never want to have "Filter Audio" checkmarked. Any external program that would need to decode a datastream from the audio would have issues with filtered audio.

So make sure you save yourself some trouble and ensure that "Filter Audio" is unchecked.

Mike

D

DaveNF2G

The latest Unitrunker release (30 or 31) can use two RTL dongles for trunktracking. One is set up for Signal and the other for Voice. It still requires an external program for demodulating digital traffic.

DXJR

Premium Subscriber
I have DSD+ Unitrunker and SDR# newest software. I got the file portion sorted out. I seem to have messed something up now. Im not receiving anything in DSD. I can not start the debug receiver for voice either.

This is my most recent setup.
http://prntscr.com/5l5uyw
http://prntscr.com/5l5vtr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.