HP-2 vs BCD436HP for MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

248panayiotis

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this topic has already been addressed but I did not see it anywhere. I am about to purchase a new scanner. I have narrowed it down to either the Uniden HP-2 or BCD436HP. I have been out of scanning for a few years and was looking for some advice.

Any input on which unit would do a better job with MPSCS given that everything else (antennas etc.) is constant. I have read in some posts that the 436 has better filtering and that the HP-2 may have a faster processor. Not sure if any of that makes a difference though.

Quality of reception (MPSCS Macomb County) would be my main driver for purchasing one or the other since I would listen to that 95% of the time. I live in Shelby Twp. (25 mile/Shelby Rd area).

I appreciate any feedback.

kb8rvp

I live in Genesee County Michigan and I have had every scanner made today and I really like the BCD436HP. It by far has the best reception of any scanner on the market for me. If you live in an area that is using simulcast I would go with the 436HP hands down. Genesee County is using simulcast and the 436HP blows all of the others away. If you are near a non-simulcast tower and don't have any cell phone towers real close by the home patrol may work just fine. If your not sure which is going to work in your area I would order the 436HP at a local radio shack and do the ship-to-store as most done have them in stock in the store then if you don't like it you have 30 days to return it. Make sure you install the sentinel software on your computer and connect the scanner and do the database updates so you're working with the newest information.

I was just in radio shack tonight and they have lots of scanners on sale too.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
I use 2 RTL-SDR dongles because you have the ability to decode pro voice with DSD. I have not seen a scanner on the market yet that can do that. That's what Clinton County E.D.A.C.S. system uses. Analog and Pro voice for the digital side of things I may be wrong?

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Go with the BCD436. I own many, many scanners (though not an HP1 or HP2, admittedly). The 436 is my favorite scanner right now. Love it. I don't think you will be disappointed. Just look into the serial # and get a recent version so you dont get the problems like display dimming or clock issue.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I live in Genesee County Michigan and I have had every scanner made today and I really like the BCD436HP. It by far has the best reception of any scanner on the market for me. If you live in an area that is using simulcast I would go with the 436HP hands down. Genesee County is using simulcast and the 436HP blows all of the others away. If you are near a non-simulcast tower and don't have any cell phone towers real close by the home patrol may work just fine. If your not sure which is going to work in your area I would order the 436HP at a local radio shack and do the ship-to-store as most done have them in stock in the store then if you don't like it you have 30 days to return it. Make sure you install the sentinel software on your computer and connect the scanner and do the database updates so you're working with the newest information.

I was just in radio shack tonight and they have lots of scanners on sale too.

Mike
as long as sold by amazon you may return the item. i have done this with battery chargers. i dont know the time limit as i usually act quickly. def check into that.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I use 2 RTL-SDR dongles because you have the ability to decode pro voice with DSD. I have not seen a scanner on the market yet that can do that. That's what Clinton County E.D.A.C.S. system uses. Analog and Pro voice for the digital side of things I may be wrong?

Well you are not wrong that they use ProVoice on the system for LE, however there are several scanners that work on ProVoice, including the Uniden BCD436HP.

freqs

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed but I did not see it anywhere. I am about to purchase a new scanner. I have narrowed it down to either the Uniden HP-2 or BCD436HP. I have been out of scanning for a few years and was looking for some advice.

Any input on which unit would do a better job with MPSCS given that everything else (antennas etc.) is constant. I have read in some posts that the 436 has better filtering and that the HP-2 may have a faster processor. Not sure if any of that makes a difference though.

Quality of reception (MPSCS Macomb County) would be my main driver for purchasing one or the other since I would listen to that 95% of the time. I live in Shelby Twp. (25 mile/Shelby Rd area).

I appreciate any feedback.
Now are you going to use it at home only or do you want a radio to use on the run and at home .?I have the 436 the only draw back is you can not charge and listen at the same time .with that I have 3 sets of batteries ....I use about six Scanners in my shack for a number of monitoring uses.
Iam looking for a base radio and the 536 or the Whisler is looking good

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
I have had my 436 for 2 weeks now and love it. I will be doing the Provoice upgrade as soon as I get some bills paid. I live in Allegan County and they are using Provoice. I can listen to them using DSD+ but I want to listen to them while mobile. I am very happy with the audio with this radio. I am using the radio shack telescopic scanner antenna at home and have it extended all the way and have great coverage. I will also be adding GPS to use mobile when I drive between here and Lansing for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.