Sunnyvale DPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dktmman

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but it looks like you may have some information I'm looking for.
As a 100% noob in the radio world I am having problems listening to Sunnyvale DPS on my old scanner. I understand they are in a transition to a new system (700mh?). My question is....do I need to upgrade my 20 year old Realistic/Radio Shack 10 channel programmable scanner to something more modern or will it be a simple frequency change that my scanner will be capable of picking up?
Thanks for any information/help you can provide.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you have to apologize for hijacking a thread, than you're probably better off just starting a new thread.

I've moved your post to a thread of its own. Hopefully you'll get the answers you need.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
You will need to get a new scanner capable of handling a P25 Phase 2 system such as the BC436HP or BC536HP. There is a discontinued model called the GRE PSR800 that can also handle the system, and i'm sure ebay has a few for sale. As of right now, SVRCS includes Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Silicon Valley Power, & Large events such as Levi's stadium. Basically events that previously used BAYMACS.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
What exactly do you mean by that? The entire county will be on it eventually. like 5 years at least before a good amount of people are on it. The system is up and running 100% in the sense that it carries the agencies and radio traffic I mentioned in the previous post.

dktmman

What I mean by that is this.... Has Sunnyvale transitioned 100% to the new system or are they still rolling it out?

I am not opposed to the cost of a new scanner but I want to be sure of two things.

1) I choose the right scanner that is capable of picking up Sunnyvale DPS/Fire on the p25 system

2) Sunnyvale has completed all their testing, worked out the bugs and the system is fully functional.

I have a scanner now that does me no good, I don't want to spend 400-600 bucks on a new scanner that also does me no good.

kma371

QRT
What I mean by that is this.... Has Sunnyvale transitioned 100% to the new system or are they still rolling it out?

I am not opposed to the cost of a new scanner but I want to be sure of two things.

1) I choose the right scanner that is capable of picking up Sunnyvale DPS/Fire on the p25 system

2) Sunnyvale has completed all their testing, worked out the bugs and the system is fully functional.

I have a scanner now that does me no good, I don't want to spend 400-600 bucks on a new scanner that also does me no good.

The system is operational and is monitorable on new scanners. That's the short answer.

UvGotIssuesToo

Premium Subscriber
If you don't mind one-sided conversations, Sunnyvale PD dispatch is still being simul'd on the old 482.9625. You can't hear the field units on the old frequency using the new digital radios though.

a4man4mbz

help, just purchased a Home Patrol 2, that is suppose to pick up P25 Phase 2, I paid the $50.00 for the extreme upgrade, and uploaded the latest from sentinel, is there a different sentinel for the HP2?
I can hear only the dispatcher on both, then HP 1 and the HP 2 if it is set to Sunnyvale, nothing on SVRCS. I hope I didn1t make a mistake the HP2.

fmalloy

Already been thru the Santa Clara migration to trunked, then the rebanding, and now P25. What's next?

If I have to buy another scanner again in a year because of yet another new whiz-bang digital system I'll just scream.

Of course with our luck we'll upgrade all our scanners to P25 Phase II TDMA and in a few months they'll go encrypted.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.