Best Resources for Studying in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriswc

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking at ham radio, and it has seem very interesting to me, and I am thinking about studying to get my basic qualifications. I would like to get honours as well, as this will most likely be easier then learning Morse code (Although I would like to learn it). My question is what are the best resources or ways to study for the exam, I have read over rac.ca, and it seems like they recommend just one book. Are there other books that you would recommend, or other study methods? Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

BrotherStare

2 routes:
1. do the test over and over again until you basically memorize the answers
or
2. actually learn the material.check your library for any books about ham radio
even if they're American. just ignore the legal stuff as its different here.
Google "ARRL - QST Magazine - Getting Into HAM Electronics" and "The Beginner's Handbook of Amateur Radio" "emcomm-ham-radio.pdf" download and read the pdfs
Look for a club in your area and inquire about beginner's classes
Download ExHaminer ExHAMiner V2.5 : Radio Amateurs of Canada
and take the test with the basic question pool. click on "Display explanation" for a better understanding
Download HAMpuzzle12

Once you can consistently score over 80%, find an examiner and take the test

DotNM

Feed Provider
Another possibility is to check for local amateur radio clubs in your area. Many often have courses to help you learn the material and pass the exam. Since your profile doesn't have your location, I'd suggest checking out Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC), the national association for amateur radio in Canada (like the ARRL but for Canada). Their website is www.rac.ca and they list affiliated clubs across the country.

chriswc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the ideas. I looked around at some of the clubs, and some of them do offer courses (or did at least), but their websites are not updated to show any current courses. Will definitely need to look around, as it is definitely something I am interested in getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.