ham radio on aircraft band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublescan

I've been listening to a long-winded conversation , two guys talking about places near by...for several minutes now At first I thought it was regular air traffic, since that's about all I listen to lately. Finally got up and looked at the scanner, and this is on 125.450 . It's really clear, like it's supposed to be on there, but I don't think these guys are in the air, as it's reallly raining with some heavy stuff coming in tonight. Is this just weird weather conditions maybe? I've never heard this before on aircraft freqs, and I can hear a repeater kicking in with the morse code every now and then, but I don't know morse so I can't ID it. I don't know of any amat operators living within 5 miles of me...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Very likely some sort of image or mixing product - not uncommon on older scanners (like Regency models with a 10.7 Mhz IF). If the repeater is particularly strong, this might be caused by overloading. Mike

MSS-Dave

21.4 Mhz is another common IF frequency. Add that to the 145.450 and you get 146.850 which is a very common 2 meter ham repeater output frequency.

Sent from Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk. Spelling errors free of charge

doublescan

atc noise

Thanks guys, I suspected some kind of 'mixing' anomaly was causing this. It's on an old RS Pro-30 handheld that I use just for ATC channels, that channel was scanned in quite a while ago, but never heard anything like that on it before. The weather system moving in tonight probably is causing it, just cut it off until tomorrow.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
21.4 Mhz is another common IF frequency. Add that to the 145.450 and you get 146.850 which is a very common 2 meter ham repeater output frequency.

Sent from Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk. Spelling errors free of charge

Actually that's 10.7 x 2, but the idea is the same...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.