Speaker Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Hi there. I recently bought another BCD396XT off eBay to add to my collection. I have another exact same one here with me. works great. This one arrived and immediatly I knew there was a problem because they audio was crap. It sounded like the speaker was blown as it was very low audio, sounded "mono" if that makes any sense and when turned up so I could hear it, all it did was vibrate the speaker from being up so loud but the audio was still distorted. Convinced the speaker was blown, I bought a replacement from 123 Radios and had a local technician install it but much to my disappointment, it was the exact same. I gave them the benifit of the doubt that maybe I got a bad speaker. I had them send me a replacement free of charge (great company to deal with by the way) It arrived, we repeated the process very carefully, even testing the speaker with an oHm meeter first and yet...exact same problem. I can sit it right beside my other XT and the audio is night and day. There is no other obvious damage on the machine and the inside looks great. Does anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss.

when plugging an external speaker into the headphone jack the audio is crystal clear with no problem. I have inserted the speaker jack multiple times thinking maybe that was causing some sort of problem but it hassnt helped.

Has anyone else had this issue?

The only thing I can think of now is that the box the speaker came in said "replacement speaker for 396T" and not 396XT. Are they different speakers? I cant see how they would be different, exact same machine with a few technical differences.

Please help!

rwier

I seem to recall that speaker problems with the BCD396XT were widespread with multiple threads concerning the same. Maybe a search of the Forums would result in an explanation?

Voyager

396T/XT should be the same speaker. It may be that someone blew the audio amp (or half of it).

wtp

ok then

it is the jack.
mine had the same thing after using the headphone jack.
my way of fixing it was to re-insert the plug a couple of times.
i was always coming home and plugging in a set of computer speakers.
also working in a lumber yard did not help with the radio in my pocket
all that dust and dirt
what would happen is that the radio would scan and never talk
it took a couple of weeks and i realized it was worse after using the jack.
the way the jack works is there is a metal clip (bent metal) that the plug pushes away from contact with itself and sends the audio to the headphones.
when you take it out it is not making the best contact back again.
you could try to clean it or use it the way you have it now, with the external speaker
you could send it is to be fixed but that is like 60 dollars so it is your call.
my 396t has stopped doing it and my 396xt has only done it twice
and remember it is a stereo jack.

prothink

Premium Subscriber
I am having this problem as well and I have used my headphone jack quite a bit. I opened it is and did a ohm test on the 24ohm speaker and it read 39 ohms which is probably fine. I believe mine could be the headphone jack as well because when I started to have problems with the audio for a short time I could tap the radio and it would start working again (the internal speaker). I don't think I am good enough to solder a new jack in there and I just checked Uniden's website and to repair the BCD396xt it is a flat 79.95 fee. I love the radio and all but I cant see paying that much on what is probably just a jack issue. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Voyager

You can also try plugging in and unplugging a 3.5mm plug into the jack to work the contact back together that mutes the speaker when an earphone is plugged in. That would cost nothing, and it's not like you are going to break it more.

wtp

another thought

i use my 396t as a handheld and i am well aware of the problem. my original thought was to use it as a base and get another radio. we did and now the 396xt is used by my girlfriend almost all the time, she takes it to work with her. it has had the same problem a couple of times. if you go that route use a stereo plug. i used to come home and plug in the computer speakers for muzak around the house. another thought is to open the radio and try to clean the jack connection. good luck.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue using a lapel mic that is used for zello phones and plugged and unplugged it a few times and the speaker works now

Status
Not open for further replies.