2012 Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Installed a Yaesu FT-7900 in my '12 Ford Fusion. The radio is under the driver's seat, the head unit is attached to the passenger seat.

Attachments

• SX8YpgIYRlvbMR57r5xGfSFTFJU5vIyNCA4qMRWA6ZU,3HZv_UzcVdHKWucycP9MorG8sRGTokTvHL3iT_goa9g.jpg
    SX8YpgIYRlvbMR57r5xGfSFTFJU5vIyNCA4qMRWA6ZU,3HZv_UzcVdHKWucycP9MorG8sRGTokTvHL3iT_goa9g.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,470
  • 2NjKBWh--XBKRwTGRYL4-YMhJNZInuJo6JY3mJxhO5s.jpg
    2NjKBWh--XBKRwTGRYL4-YMhJNZInuJo6JY3mJxhO5s.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,459
  • ODeUesJTKP7qCvm3R-7P_ISC0V56vsmQyk8uR8a-7Gc.jpg
    ODeUesJTKP7qCvm3R-7P_ISC0V56vsmQyk8uR8a-7Gc.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 2,258

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I had almost the exact same setup in my VW Jetta when I had it but I had a Larsen NMO 2/70SH with the trunk lip mount in the center of my trunk. But I see that you would run into problems opening your trunk if you did that. How is the performance of the antenna mounted where you have it?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thanks for posting. I have a 2006 Fusion and want to install a radio. What mount are you using to attach the control head? It looks like it is using the passenger seat bolt. Does the setup get in the way of the front seat passenger?

73 Eric

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
I found the mount on Amazon, just did a search for Yaesu 7800 car mount. The head is attached to the mount that came with the separation kit. My wife rode with me no problem. When I went to install it I looked at my seat and couldn't find a bolt to attach it to. I pulled off the plastic between the floor and seat and found one. It's a tight fit but I got it.

Yesterday I hit a repeater in Grants, NM, some 80 miles away.

If it was Mt. Taylor, it doesn't count. :)

That's a great antenna choice, and will give low VSWR with a good pattern mounted just about anywhere. It's stout in the wind, so will transfer a good bit of moment to the mount.

Pull that mount off every once in a while, and wash and wax the area under it. Moisture and dirt that get under it will haze the paint. Also keep an eye out for any warping of the edge of the trunk.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I love those newer fusions. Our agency got a couple of them for the motor pool, even in fleet trim they're nice.
Still unsure if they're getting radios or not, mostly depends on how many dollars are left this week, but thats a nice install

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Nice install. The fusions (2006-2012) are a very radio friendly car. Using remote heads and mounting the radios in the trunk you can fit 4 radios in there no problem.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
If anyone wants to volunteer to wash my car come on over. Forecast for the week is highs in the 30s and snow. As soon as it warms up I'll wash it.

I don't remember if the repeater was Mt Taylor, I was just going through them on my Repeater Book app.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thanks for the information. I assume this is the mount.
http://www.amazon.com/IC-706MKII-IC-2800H-IC-2700H-KG-UV920P-KG-UV920R/dp/B00M8DUVK6

I was looking at a Lido mount. I should get out my tape measure and see if the longer one from Amazon would be better.
LIDO LM-300 | 15 INCH GOOSENECK W SEATBOLT MOUNT

I am thinking about getting a new car next year, so I may hold off. The current style seems to be higher sloping consoles between the front seats. The new Fusion has an interesting hole in the console that looks perfect for a radio mount.

73 Eric

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Yes that's the mount. And i've seen somewhere someone had a 13 or 14 fusion, he put a CB in that hole in the console, and it fit perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.