• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MX vs MXI connector - what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesdotcc

Hi All,
What's the difference, if any, between an MX and MXI connector?

I received an Icom F3161 for Christmas and I'm trying to buy a better antenna for it, and the antennas that seem to be compatible seem to have an "MXI" connector, but the selection is pretty limited. There seem to be far more selection for antennas with an "MX" connector.

According to this selection guide from Laird, they appear to be different: http://www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Video/Land.pdf

But both connectors seem to describe themselves as "1/4-32 x 7/32" when I look at the descriptions on Tessco:
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=427755
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=492322

And I can't seem to find the right terms to get an answer out of Google.

Any ideas? Thanks.

-Charles

12dbsinad

If I had to take a wild guess, i'd say the one that says it's for Icom probably is a little different at the base. Same connector as the other one but the rubber may be longer so that when it is threaded on to the radio it bottoms out against the radio housing. The other one would thread on ok but may have a gap between the housing and bottom of the antenna. At any rate, the MXI is the correct one for the 3161.

charlesdotcc

Ok, thanks for the reply. I guessed it could be something like that as well. Good to get confirmation on the MXI though. One website called it a "J" connector. These designations are all over the place.

cmdrwill

Try to get and use the OEM ICOM antennas. Other knock offs may not work well and bung up the threads in the radio, not make contact, or wost off not be a good match to the transmitter.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I have been researching this same question.
It appears that the HT1250,1550 antenna works fine with my Icom F series BUT the rubber skirt on the Motorola antenna does NOT meet the frame of the radio so there is a slight gap.

It's the same situation between the motorola XTS series and 5100 series from EF Johnson.

Last edited:

charlesdotcc

Ok, thanks - that seems to lend credence to the idea that they're basically the same connector, except the rubber molding is different, which I suppose also effects the weather seal around the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.