171.250 MHz NYPD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

There has been mention of this frequency being used as a simulcast of NYPD Citywide frequencies in P25 mode NAC 069 at certain times. It was used during the protests. I heard it being used again today, yet it was not simulcasted from any of the known NYPD frequencies this time. I heard Unit 93 mentioned a few times. It sounds like crime scene units or investigators. If anyone has further info on this frequency, please post.

Analogrules

Thanks for the link, however it definitely sounds like NYPD units, nothing relating to immigration/customs.

BalunKnot

Been hearing that alot over last few months. Seems like it is only used when something is going on locally like with nypd. i have heard it carry nyc and newark traffic at times.

Last edited:

Analogrules

Balunknot, I must agree. It definitely is NOT immigration/customs. They are NYPD units and I am picking them up from union county NJ in digital mode, so the repeater being located closer (in West Orange) makes sense. I am just baffled as to why they recently opened a repeater for NYPD in NJ? Today, I couldn't even find a frequency that it was simulcasting. It was possibly being used directly. It does seem to be active during major events, however I did not hear any funeral activity today. Just units investigating some crime scene on 9th Avenue in Manhattan at about 8:15pm, and not very active, just sporadic transmissions. Definitely a frequency to keep in your scanner for futher monitoring.

BalunKnot

i was scanning a little this evening and heard something about 9th st or ave but think it was newark cause they mentioned the sheriff and crime scene.

ecps92

Analogrules

I know it was previously mentioned (first thing I said in my initial post). However, details were never confirmed or discussed. There are several unanswered questions regarding this repeater. Such as why would they suddenly set up a repeater in West Orange so that ICE can supposedly monitor nypd (during protest coverage) and now used by random crime scene units in Newark? (Two entirely different agencies for unrelated objectives). By the way, what I meant earlier was that it definitely wasn't ICE who were directly talking on the frequency. If anything, I would think the national guard or perhaps FBI would have more interest in these "situation awareness" events. So why ICE and why nypd Citywide and Nwk crime scene units are the only agencies so far being simulcasted, and only at certain times? There are many unanswered questions, which was why I started the thread. Another question would be if this was set up via Homeland Security request and whether there will be additional federal repeaters in the near future set up for similarly?

garys

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, there is a federal frequency in use in Boston. It's alpha tagged "Federal Interop" and is used when there is a big event in Boston. It simulcasts whatever special event channel BPD is using. You can usually hear a BPD channel, a regional Interop channel, a MA State Police Special Operations channel, and the Federal Interop channel on all of those channels. It's a patch of one UHF, one UHF-T, a trunked talk group, and a VHF federal channel.

I mention it because it might be used in a similar manner in NYC.

Analogrules

Again, it may be an ICE owned repeater, however the radio traffic on it is 100% NOT ICE agents. However, it is 100% NYPD and Newark PD we are actually hearing on this repeater!!

jaymatt1978

I just popped it in and haven't heard it yet BUT I think we need to step away from "|ICE owned" because it's confusing people and just agree it's a federal repeater that is available for agencies and can, but not limited to, be patched over different frequencies

garys

Premium Subscriber
Again, it may be an ICE owned repeater, however the radio traffic on it is 100% NOT ICE agents. However, it is 100% NYPD and Newark PD we are actually hearing on this repeater!!

My impression is that these federal assignments are somewhat fluid. It might have been ICE at one time, but it seems like it's reassigned now. ICE wouldn't be at the top of my list for federal agencies that want to listen to NYPD or Newark PD traffic.

BalunKnot

ICE wouldn't be at the top of my list for federal agencies that want to listen to NYPD or Newark PD traffic.

why do you say that? it could be some sort of task force thing or something.

google brought this up:

http://www.ice.gov/national-gang-unit

In 2005, ICE initiated Operation Community Shield, an international law enforcement initiative that combines Homeland Security Investigations' (HSI) expansive statutory and civil enforcement authorities to combat the growth and proliferation of transnational criminal street gangs, prison gangs and outlaw motorcycle gangs throughout the United States. With assistance from state, local, tribal and foreign law enforcement partners, the initiative helps HSI locate, investigate, prosecute, and where applicable, immediately remove gang members from our neighborhoods and ultimately from the United States.
Mission

HSI's NGU leverages its anti-gang initiative called Operation Community Shield to enhance U.S. public safety. The unit develops strategic domestic and foreign law enforcement partnerships and utilizes those partnerships, along with all of its unique legal authorities to target gangs, to suppress violence and prosecute criminal enterprises.
Gang Intelligence Gathering and Sharing

HSI is the investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security, and has positioned itself as the leader in transnational criminal gang investigations. As such, HSI is committed to sharing gang intelligence gathered through investigations to aggressively pursue leads.

APX7500X2

its a Federal Repeater that can be patched to 1 of over 100 channels in the NYC area or used as a stand alone. The FBIs field office roll call came over it the other day. It can be patched from many different Federal agency's consoles in many different places. I have seen 1 federal agency's Motorola Console and they have about 150 modules for different services and some of them are multi channels, any of those can be patched together

Analogrules

Speaking of the FBI roll call, I did not hear it this morning on any of the common frequencies. Don't they do it every Wed morning?

Analogrules

Ok, because RR db indicates it to be at 10am every Wed under the federal agencies Essex County page. I have heard them in the recent past, but nothing heard today.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Roll call is 10am wed on the fio channel, unless there is something going on.

Analogrules

There has been frequent analog key ups on 171.250 today. Perhaps a different user, considering there is no NAC code or PL. Signal Zero rudely closed the thread when asking about it on the NJ forum, so I figured I would post it here instead. Any ideas, feel free to let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.