Want to use laptop to decode and broadcast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajoe44

This is what I am trying to do, would like to see if it's possible. I have a R820T SDR dongle and I am familiar with setting it up to use TrunkTracker to monitor my local 800 system. I have 3 scanners I am using to monitor local agencies. One scanner is solely devoted to digital transmissions, one to other locals and one to broadcast my feed of local sheriff office, ems and fire for my county. I am wanting to broadcast the feed of the digital transmission but do not want to tie up that scanner for the live broadcasting. Is there anyway to do the monitoring and feeding of broadcast using only the laptop?

Thanks

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm not familiar with TrunkTracker, but with Unitunker, you could use up to three virtual cables to feed the signal through the software and out to a feed. One virtual cable sends the control channel signal to a voice receiver, another virtual cable sends the digital voice transmission to DSDplus for decoding, and a third virtual cable sends the decoded audio to RadioFeed or other broadcasting software.

shajoe44

Thanks for the reply and information. I am somewhat familiar in setting up the R820T but have not used the virtual cables and other programs you mentioned. Is their either you tube or written instructions on setting this up? Thanks once again.

fredva

Feed Provider
I may have been mistaken when I said to use 3 virtual audio cables - it looks like you might be able to get by with two. After looking at the instructions again, a cable between the control channel receiver and the voice receiver apparently isn't required.

Here are the instructions I've used for experimenting: RTL-SDR Tutorial: Following Trunked Radio with Unitrunker - rtl-sdr.com The one thing missing from those instructions is a virtual cable to pipe the decoded transmission from DSD+ to streaming software, which would send the audio over the internet.

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with TrunkTracker, but with Unitunker, you could use up to three virtual cables to feed the signal through the software and out to a feed. One virtual cable sends the control channel signal to a voice receiver, another virtual cable sends the digital voice transmission to DSDplus for decoding, and a third virtual cable sends the decoded audio to RadioFeed or other broadcasting software.

He's talking about Uniden TrunkTracker.

Status
Not open for further replies.