Newbie-Need help programming a BC345CRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiee1

I purchased a BC345CRS for my dad for Christmas. I have followed instructions in the booklet and can get everything to work except the scanning-the part I think he would like the most.
I looked up channels for my area and I entered them but nothing happens. I've tried calling the 800# and I never get off of hold. I called RS and they said they do not help program, even though I bought from there. Is there any help? If not I'm going to return this and get my money back.
Is there an easier device to purchase? I liked that this was a desktop model and had weather and radio as well.
Thank you!

shadcall

What are you trying to program? It would help us to know what state, county and city. This will allow others to offer specific instructions for your area.

sweetiee1

Any emergency frequencies. I'm wanting it for my dad as he is retired. Just anything to keep him busy. What is out there and how do I find the frequency numbers?

N1BHH

Where are you? What are you trying to listen to? You may be in an area where the frequencies shown in the database may be in limited use or are no longer being used due to frequency changes not noted in the database. They could have moved to an 800 trunk system which the scanner is not capable to even scan. More information from you is needed to answer your post.

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
Without a state and city it is hard to help you. I guess he wants police and fire.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Forum paranoia, I hear ya....you can look this information up yourself.

At the top of this page click on "Databases" then click on your state and county to go to your county page which will show all the frequencies and systems in use in your county.

Take into consideration that scanner receives conventional only. Nothing above 512 MHZ, no trunked systems, no digital.

Last edited:

pumpkin349

Premium Subscriber
after programming...not hearing any police in my area on this unit

I just purchased BC345CRS Uniden - struggling with getting any frequencies in my area... only a couple of fire/emergencybroadcasts come on. I have put in numerous frequencies in Pinellas County Florida but none work. Is it because the Uniden model I have purchased is analog? What is another alternative for me to use this scanner? Will consider having it programmed ONLY if it works in Florida...Tampa/St. Petersburg FL

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I just purchased BC345CRS Uniden - struggling with getting any frequencies in my area... only a couple of fire/emergencybroadcasts come on. I have put in numerous frequencies in Pinellas County Florida but none work. Is it because the Uniden model I have purchased is analog? What is another alternative for me to use this scanner? Will consider having it programmed ONLY if it works in Florida...Tampa/St. Petersburg FL
All Sheriff, Fire, and Public Works use the digital system, so you would need a digital scanner to receive these services. Your scanner will receive the FM mode frequencies listed on the page below.

Pinellas County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It will receive analog only:

AM Broadcast
FM Broadcast
25-54 MHz.
108-174 MHz.
406-512 MHz.

pumpkin349

Premium Subscriber
replacing my Uniden analog for digital -suggestions?

Thanks so much for the quick response.. I wish I would have known that the Uniden I recently purchased is analog. So I need to buy another scanner in order to hear local police, fire, emergency info... Any suggestions from the group on scanner - reasonably priced -
Thanks!!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You really need to do some research these days "before" purchasing a scanner. People see that lowest price on an BC345CRS scanner and jump on it without knowing what they need or what they are getting. It is a non trunking scanner too and trunking has been around for over 20 years. That is really a basic basic model.

The BCD396XT is an awesome scanner and due to the newer Uniden scanners being released you can get one for around $250-$320 on ebay. If you prefer a desk/mobile scanner it's brother the BCD996XT runs around the same price. If you are willing to pay just a little more a BCD996P2 would be even better. It also covers the newer Phase II system upgrades which are becoming popular these days.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

All Sheriff, Fire, and Public Works use the digital system, so you would need a digital scanner to receive these services. Your scanner will receive the FM mode frequencies listed on the page below.

Pinellas County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It will receive analog only:

AM Broadcast
FM Broadcast
25-54 MHz.
108-174 MHz.
406-512 MHz.

Sir I would like to thank you for posting this...I was thinking about getting one of these to replace an old scanner I currently use for local repeaters only (RS Pro-2023). I like to keep that part separate from my PS scanning. All I could find in the specs, after a lot of different searches, was, "25-512 MHz," and I see that, like the scanner I have now, it does not cover 1.25M. You saved me a few bucks and some frustration, and for that I am grateful.:D

DJ11DLN

The Wiki here on RadioReference is a great source to research radio models prior to purchasing.

Category:Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Link is broken...but I did look in the Wiki, it was my first stop. Many models are there but the 345 isn't one of them. I was kind of surprised that I had so much trouble finding exact specs on the model. One can learn all one wants about newer digital trunking scanners...but plain old work horses like this one, not so much. I guess they're just not "sexy" enough!:lol:

pumpkin349

Premium Subscriber
I returned the Uniden that I purchased recently.... not digital. Now I am back to researching scanners -digital ..What is trunking? What other factors should I be looking for to listen to local and state frequencies in Florida? What else is important me to have with new scanner-
Thanks!
Monica

pumpkin349

Premium Subscriber
I have the opportunity to buy a Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker IV Digital Scanner (BCD396XT) around $285... good price. Good scanner for me?

DJ11DLN

I have the opportunity to buy a Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker IV Digital Scanner (BCD396XT) around $285... good price. Good scanner for me?

Good choice, they're good scanners. According to the wiki Hillsborough County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference, it should take care of things for you fairly well. There is some Provoice (County Sheriff, Fire), which no scanner will decode, but you should be able to get everything else as I see no Phase II (the 396 will only decode Phase i). And you're right, that's a great price.

Nasby

Great scanner but you should be able to beat that price. Check Amazon and Ebay.

Also check here in the for sale forums.

Good luck to you!

Nasby

Also, you may want to look at the Radio Shack PRO-668. It too is a great scanner for less than $250.00.
And it may be easier for you to program.

Status
Not open for further replies.