• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Who do I get to repair my Galaxy DX99V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfoto

Premium Subscriber
When you read about peaking and tuning horror stories it makes you wonder who really knows what they are doing.

So i have to ask this loaded question.

Who do I get to repair my Galaxy? I dont care where it has to go in the USA to get done, Im a commercial driver and go EVERYWHERE. And of course USPS works fine too.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Ask other drivers about shops in your normal(ish) lanes. Find one with good feedback that you'll know you'll pass every couple weeks and take it there. Make sure you get a work ticket with number on it so you can prove you dropped it off. I've heard horror stories from other drivers that have lost radios by dropping them off and coming back a month or so later. "We didn't think you were coming back, so we sold it to cover repair costs"

We have a decent shop at I-39 exit 115

Jerry's CB Shop
4752 Baxter Road Rockford, IL 61109
(815) 873-1313

KB0VWG

You can also try Valley Radio Center in Harlingen Texas if you come this far south, This shop has been here for years and I know the owner and the tech.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

mrfoto

Premium Subscriber
Ask other drivers about shops in your normal(ish) lanes. Find one with good feedback that you'll know you'll pass every couple weeks and take it there. Make sure you get a work ticket with number on it so you can prove you dropped it off. I've heard horror stories from other drivers that have lost radios by dropping them off and coming back a month or so later. "We didn't think you were coming back, so we sold it to cover repair costs"

We have a decent shop at I-39 exit 115

Jerry's CB Shop
4752 Baxter Road Rockford, IL 61109
(815) 873-1313

That one of the problems.....You hear about good shop and then you read or are fed horror stories about how they dont know what they are doing..... then they star talking about what NOT to clip and unsolder when peaking a unit, and my head starts spinning cause it all WAY over my head.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've taken my radios to Jerry several times, and never had a problem. He's been in the business for decades. His own shop for about 10-12 years now, and before that he apprenticed with a shop that was open for over 40.

Give him a call, he may or may not accept repairs UPS, If he does, ask him to ship it back UPS when it's done.

LoyalServant

When you read about peaking and tuning horror stories it makes you wonder who really knows what they are doing.

So i have to ask this loaded question.

Who do I get to repair my Galaxy? I dont care where it has to go in the USA to get done, Im a commercial driver and go EVERYWHERE. And of course USPS works fine too.

Loaded question... especially in CB land.

The issue is that there is such an aberration to doing it right that it's done wrong.
You cannot argue with people that have their mind made up that their ear is better than my instruments.
Their "gut" tells them or they can hear RF.... yeah right.

The problem today is.... it is a roll of the dice.
One tech will flame the other for doing it wrong and all the people that are supposed "customers" are caught in the middle. I view these people as victims.

In all fairness the golden screwdriver crowd is just catering to demand, and that demand means they have to use instruments that lie or measurement methodologies that are false.

Nobody wants to accept that their method of measurement is all wrong.
Those that do a measurement using a proper frequency compensated RF power meter are laughed at because it will show half the power of some rubbish wattmeter they have - but it's the right number!

And that is what bothers me... so if you read this whomever you are... read up on the difference between a wattmeter and a frequency corrected power meter... and then know why your 10 watts is really 5.

mrfoto

Premium Subscriber
Loaded question... especially in CB land.

The issue is that there is such an aberration to doing it right that it's done wrong.
You cannot argue with people that have their mind made up that their ear is better than my instruments.
Their "gut" tells them or they can hear RF.... yeah right.

The problem today is.... it is a roll of the dice.
One tech will flame the other for doing it wrong and all the people that are supposed "customers" are caught in the middle. I view these people as victims.

In all fairness the golden screwdriver crowd is just catering to demand, and that demand means they have to use instruments that lie or measurement methodologies that are false.

Nobody wants to accept that their method of measurement is all wrong.
Those that do a measurement using a proper frequency compensated RF power meter are laughed at because it will show half the power of some rubbish wattmeter they have - but it's the right number!

And that is what bothers me... so if you read this whomever you are... read up on the difference between a wattmeter and a frequency corrected power meter... and then know why your 10 watts is really 5.

You know my pain well dont you. LOL

So Jim... what kinda meter do you use?

And speaking of meters.... What brand/model numbers could I look for to tell the pro from the bootleg? Questions to ask about my repair.

All functions on the radio work except no output. Roasted finials?

LoyalServant

You know my pain well dont you. LOL

So Jim... what kinda meter do you use?

And speaking of meters.... What brand/model numbers could I look for to tell the pro from the bootleg? Questions to ask about my repair.

All functions on the radio work except no output. Roasted finials?

(if your asking me)

What I use is going to be pricey for a CB shop... BUT.... a Bird 43 is acceptable
as long as they know how to use it properly and keep it in cal.

Bird 43 meters are mostly shunned by the golden screwdrivers but they are just fine.
They just don't like that they show less power because they are not broadband wattmeters
unless equipped with an appropriate element.

You want a clean radio not a splatterbox.

The proper way:
- use a spectrum analyzer.
- use a frequency compensated power meter.

CB radios are channelized gear that have 10Khz spacing.... and that's your maximum bandwidth.
If you "peak and tune" a radio and now it's consuming 40Khz of bandwidth.. your wasting a bunch of power AND causing interference.

So... ask them how they intend to keep your radio transmitting within the allotted channel.. and not waste power.
The radio will thank you too.

(Keep in mind they don't like us engineers very much... they know more than we do....)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the tone generator for adjusting audio from the microphone. We had one when I apprenticed at the local CB shop when I was a teen..much more reliable then a whistle or the ubiquitous "audio" over and over.

sent from an electronic device...

LoyalServant

Don't forget the tone generator for adjusting audio from the microphone. We had one when I apprenticed at the local CB shop when I was a teen..much more reliable then a whistle or the ubiquitous "audio" over and over.

sent from an electronic device...

Then you were somewhere they had sort of a clue.

That "audio audio audio" drives me nuts. Where does it say in the alignment instructions to yell "audio" over and over? :p

To quote the alignment instructions of a Washington: (1st generation)
"Output of 2-tone generator to mike input. 500Hz and 2400Hz at .5 volts"

Doesn't say yell "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooo"

Not like a couple audio gens is expensive... dime a dozen.
Can even homebrew one in an hour.

mrfoto

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate all the input everyone. Maybe we will get the 99 going again soon. :)

comoman

Premium Subscriber
One of the best and most dependable radio shops I've had experience with in 48 years is Barkett Electornic in Trinity Alabama. Fairly quick turn-around time and great communications. 256-350-3848

comoman

Premium Subscriber
I realize this is an old thread but one of the best radio tech's I have dealt with is Barkett Electronics in Trinity Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.