Northern Indiana INDOT drivers...disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I have been a scanner listener for almost 24 years, and in all that time of monitoring, I've never heard plow/salt truck drivers as rude, crude and nasty as the INDOT drivers I've heard over the past three days. The language they use and how they talk about drivers on the road is quite astonishing. And believe me, I'm not using astonishing in a good way, that's for sure. I wonder if they're getting their butts chewed off whenever they get back to "base," because I have yet to hear any kind of boss / supervisor say anything to them over the air. For some reason, I'm thinking they're not.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have observed that INDOT plow/salt truck drivers are "chatty". They don't seem to understand that their idle conversation not only takes up valuable resources on the SAFE-T system, but that scanner listeners can hear them. I assume that they are probably bored and just trying to stay awake. I've not heard language as you describe, but that's probably because I've quit listening to them as the "signal to noise" ratio is pretty poor.

In my opinion, in case you asked ;) , I think putting INDOT and other non-life safety users on SAFE-T was a bad idea. They really do not need to be on the same system as police and fire users.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I have observed that INDOT plow/salt truck drivers are "chatty". They don't seem to understand that their idle conversation not only takes up valuable resources on the SAFE-T system, but that scanner listeners can hear them. I assume that they are probably bored and just trying to stay awake. I've not heard language as you describe, but that's probably because I've quit listening to them as the "signal to noise" ratio is pretty poor.

In my opinion, in case you asked ;) , I think putting INDOT and other non-life safety users on SAFE-T was a bad idea. They really do not need to be on the same system as police and fire users.

I couldn't agree with you more.

W9NES

Well then someone needs to MONITOR MECA SYS 2 during the day and when DPW crews are out. You hear the same things going on that are being heard on Safe-t. When is the City of Indianapolis/Marion County going to do some thing about Sys 2.??? Talking about women, drinking, and all types of stuff while on the taxpayers dime .At least IPL That is( Indianapolis Power and Light) do not do that. They are all professional communications.(Thanks IPL) for keeping our lights and power on for our electric heated homes and maintaining our power grid in Indianapolis/Marion County.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Same issues with any Public Works departments on any system. There are good, and bad. You can hear the same kind of stuff on VIPER, Palmetto, etc.... Most Public Works users are not taught to use professional radio etiquette. Most don't care anyway, all they care about is that the radio is an radio. And I can promise you if anyone "got on their case", they would just go to the Union Reps. And that would be that. Yes, you can also find very unprofessional and unethical use of radios in Public Safety as well, but it gets handled better. Better training, and thus usage of "Car to Car/Talk/Talkaround" freqs/TG's etc.... If too many folks got to complaining about the way they operate on air, back in the past, there would have been a move to train them better,... Sadly, i can guarantee you that now, they would just encrypt and thus shut out you hearing it... "Problem solved" in the eyes of the bureaucrats.

scover5555

From my point of view from someone who was listened to over the scanner and have listened to a scanner, I have the same opinion on this as someone who complains about TV/Radio programming. You are not being forced to watch/listen. If you don't like what you are hearing there is a switch to change channels and a switch to turn it off. It would be different if you were someone who had to use the radio along with these users. No I am not one of these people or associated with any of them that you are referencing above.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
I concur. There were two of them barking like dogs at each other yesterday morning. I don't think they totally understand the concept that they are being heard by the likes of the citizens of this state. Many of them are temps/part timers who are hired for snow plowing only.

I have been a scanner listener for almost 24 years, and in all that time of monitoring, I've never heard plow/salt truck drivers as rude, crude and nasty as the INDOT drivers I've heard over the past three days. The language they use and how they talk about drivers on the road is quite astonishing. And believe me, I'm not using astonishing in a good way, that's for sure. I wonder if they're getting their butts chewed off whenever they get back to "base," because I have yet to hear any kind of boss / supervisor say anything to them over the air. For some reason, I'm thinking they're not.

DJ11DLN

This is why I don't have INDOT (and some other things) in my scanners.

And I agree with W9BU: They don't belong on Safe-T.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
In contrast, every one of the folks I hear on INDOT's TG's here in Indy, are professionals. they observe correct radio etiquette at all times. Just goes to show, even on the same State Government Agency (Which is part of the Public Safety line up *Hoosier Helpers/TMC* which not all states have anything like yet.), the vast differences in attitudes, and behaviors in just a different zone/area.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, either INDOT has new drivers for this snowstorm, or the drivers are behaving themselves this time around LOL. Haven't heard them cuss anyone out...so far. Maybe because the snowfall is worse this time around and they're too busy being careful themselves to worry about how slow someone else is going.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Idot d1 etp minutemen chatter

You should give IDOT ETP a listen on ADMIN PRIMARY when they try communicate with the Com center in Schaumburg. Even on the Maintenance freq EXPRESSWAY PRIMARY tension can be heard between the full-timers/Leads and the monthly snowbirds. Makes for great entertainment during blizzards working 18 hour shifts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.