Classic HH scanners of the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

Over the last year, I've been collecting examples of the best scanners available from 90's. Back then, scanners were simpler and when the top of line models came out I remember running to Radio Shack to scope them out. These 4 were my favorites. Being patient and very selective, I managed to grab each of these on eBay for between $20-$40. They're all in near mint condition and came in their boxes. Left to right are: The legendary Pro-43. The Pro-43's successor, The Pro-60. The Pro-26. And the dual-trunking revision "B" version Pro-94.

2gxloya.jpg

JustLou

Thanks. These radios are still very usable in my NYC area . The PD and FD are still on analog UHF, and they're great for VHF-Air.

JustLou

I had and sold all of these in the past too. I regretted selling them also, but now that I was able to reacquire them for much less than what I sold them for, I'm happy. :)

Nasby

The PRO-43 is the gem of them all. I hated the PRO-26. It had the crappiest, low volume speaker ever!

Thanks for the great memories.

JustLou

The PRO-43 is the gem of them all. I hated the PRO-26. It had the crappiest, low volume speaker ever!

Thanks for the great memories.
The 26 is definitely not all around as good as the 43. The audio on my 26 is "OK" though. The main thing the Pro-26 had/has is the 25-1300 MHz coverage.

wheels63

My favorite hand held from the 90s was the Pro-46.I took it every where with me and then lost it at one of the race tracks I went to every Friday night.

Tom

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I had like 25 HH scanners at one point in the middle 90's. My favorites were the Regency HX-1000/1200/1500 (Same radio with more channels, it was a killer rail scanner), the great Pro-43, my all time favorite for all the great reasons, and the Pro-93. I only have a few now, a Pro-106, GRE PSR-500, an old Bearcat 210XLT (Works, no battery), and a couple of old timers I don't even know the model number of.

There haven't been too many "clunkers", but the GRE PSR-800 had problems galore, The Regency HX-2000 was a colossal dog, and the AOR 900 and 1000 were pure garbage.

JustLou

I'm surprised the PSR-800 has issues, as my stripped down Pro-18 works great. Much better than the hunk of garbage Home Patrol -1 I wasted my money on. This is my go-to radio for monitoring at home. One of my 2 Pro-2004's. I have one in my basement with my computers, and one in my "Ham-Shack". My favorite radio of all time despite the backlights eventually dying and the cold solder joint issues.

2ecglq8.jpg

PACNWDude

I'm still using a Pro-94 for radio maintenance checks. Works very well, although it looks a little beat up compared to yours.
Also use a Pro-95 and a Pro-97. Work well for DSD and monitoring military aircraft int he area. Every one of them has some acid leakage scars inside the battery area where I left them too long with batteries installed though.

Eng74

The 94B my first trunking scanner. I still hate that thing. Can't program talk groups into it unless you were in an area with a trunked radio system.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I really appreciated the Pro-92. I believe it was the first scanner with alpha tags.

JustLou

I really appreciated the Pro-92. I believe it was the first scanner with alpha tags.
I had one of the later 92's that had the bugs fixed. It was a good radio and the alpha tags were best thing about it. Performance wise, I didn't think it was that great. I thought the 94 was more sensitive, and had better frequency coverage. It is a rare instance where I thought a Uniden radio outperformed a GRE radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.