Orlando Area P25 II Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I am coming soon to Orlando for a conference and would like some guidance regarding which scanner to pack. From RR, it appears that while there are a few P25 II trunked systems in the area, virtually all agencies are either using encryption (E) on their talkgroups, or, they are using digital (D) transmissions. I don't recall seeing that anyone was shown in RR as using TDMA (T). That being the case, I'm hoping I can pack my more-familiar 396XT rather than my BCD436HP - am I correct?

Thx in advance for the assistance.

Metrofire31
WQIT636

Voyager

Don't forget to pack your ham license, too, as otherwise scanners are not legal in FL.

S

SARCommCoord

Agencies in Orange County are Phase II TDMA. Only agency that is conventional is Rural Metro Ambulance which provides 911 transport for Orlando, MCO, Ocoee, Eatonville, Winter Garden and Windermere. They are soon to be transferring to a TRBO system ( They already have the equipment). And yes, monitoring PD or EMS frequencies while in your car is illegal unless you have an amateur radio license, or are active LE, EMS or FD

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Orlando

Now Voyager - since I'm FLYING in, not driving, and only using a handheld in the privacy of my hotel room, I think your advice is a bit austere. Do you have any information relative to my original post?

Metrofire31
WQIT636

S

SARCommCoord

FLORIDA STATUTES (1995) -
Title 46, CRIMES; Ch. 843, OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE; § 843.16
843.16 Unlawful to install radio equipment using assigned frequency of
state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions;
penalties

(1) No person, firm, or corporation shall install in any motor vehicle or
business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch
vehicle as herein defined or a place established by munincipal,
county, state, or federal authority for governmental purposes, any
frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned
as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the
Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement
officers of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of
its agencies. Provided, nothing herein shall be construed to affect
any radio station licensed by the Federal communications Commission
or to affect any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in
covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor
certified pursuant to Part II of Chapter 489, Operating a Central
Monitoring System.

(2) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Emergency vehicle" shall specifically mean:

1. Any motor vehicle used by any law enforcement officer or
employee of any city, any county, the state, the Federal Bureau
of Investigation, or the Armed Forces of the United States while
on official business;

2. Any fire department vehicle of any city or county of the
state or any state fire department vehicle;

3. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles when said
vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the
state;

4. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the
sheriff of any county in the state when said vehicle is to be
assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said county

5. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the
chief of police of any city in the state when said vehicle is to
be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said city.

(b) "Crime watch vehicle" means any motor vehicle used by any
person participating in a citizen crime watch or neighborhood
watch program when such program and use are approved in writing
by the appropriate sheriff or chief of police where the vehicle
will be used and the vehicle is assigned the use of frequencies
assigned to the county or city. Such approval shall be renewed
annually.

(3) This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur
radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications
Commission or to any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged
in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system
contractor certified pursuant to Part II of Chapter 489, Operating a
Central Monitoring System.

(4) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions
of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor of the second
degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

S

SARCommCoord

Rural Metro is dispatched by Orlando on OFD 1D and dispatched by Orange County on OCFR-11. Tone outs for West Orange units are done on 453.0250, and interfacility traffic is also dispatched on that in conventional. 453.0500 is used for the RMA OFD units as a transport coordination frequency. 453.0750 is the Sumter County frequency, but since Rural Metro own and operates Sumter Fire/EMS 911 PSAP, they are on P25 up there. That frequency is only used for mutual aid with Orlando RMA units

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked.... the Orange County P25 system is TDMA *capable* but FD traffic is still FDMA. I am still able to monitor Orange County, Orlando, and Winter Park FD's on a BCD996XT I have out there as we speak.

TO ADD:

Orange - All law enforcement encrypted, most fire departments in the clear
Lake - All law enforcement and fire rescue encrypted, Lake Co FD has a conventional dispatch simulcast in the clear
Seminole - Law enforcement and fire rescue clear, transition to from Motorola to P25 in progress, program both systems?
Osceola - All law enforcement encrypted, fire rescue clear
Volusia - Law enforcement and fire rescue clear

Unless Orange Co suddenly goes TDMA, you should be fine monitoring with a BCD396XT. Performance however may vary.

Last edited:

RadioBoy69

Thanks for the reply on RM.
Metro fire31, everytime i have ever been to orlando, the 396 did not do very well. I am hoping the 436 will do better the next time i go.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
My hat is off to TAMPABAYNEWS - the only person who answered my question. So many on RR are so anxious to tell other "how" and "what" they can and can't do. I simply asked, in so many words, whether any agency in Orlando is actually using TDMA (P25 phase II) and the thread changed direction in assumptions that I would be violating Fla law. First, I am fully aware of Florida's scanner laws (and others). Someone even decided to paste the statutes. :)

TAMPABAYNEWS - thank you for actually answering my question - you've been very helpful. Sorry to disappoint the others - since I'm flying in and remaining in a hotel classroom, I won't actually have an opportunity to violate any part of the law.

trooper890

Phase II

Agencies in Orange County are Phase II TDMA. Only agency that is conventional is Rural Metro Ambulance which provides 911 transport for Orlando, MCO, Ocoee, Eatonville, Winter Garden and Windermere. They are soon to be transferring to a TRBO system ( They already have the equipment). And yes, monitoring PD or EMS frequencies while in your car is illegal unless you have an amateur radio license, or are active LE, EMS or FD

Come ON, they are NOT! There is ONE System using 2>1 Phase II and that is Apopka.

Everyone else is vanilla Phase I. Yes the systems may be capable down the road, but that's like saying an agency is secure because the system is capable. WAY too many legacy radios in the field yet for phase II.

Let's stop perpetuating bad info and share what we know is really happening. Tampabaynews, you are correct in that the actual phase II users are very limited.

S

SARCommCoord

Metrofire31 your question was answered by others, you just chose to ignore them because it wasnt what YOU wanted to here. I answered and told you that it was a Phase II TDMA system, which it is. SOME agencies are using the TDMA. I work public safety locally, so I think I would know. In regards to the law, its still ILLEGAL to transport radio equipment capable of receiving LE frequencies regardless of the mode of transportation.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Oh yes, Apopka (on their own system) is Phase II but encrypted anyway. Assuming the DB is correct. :-(

trooper890

Don't forget to pack your ham license, too, as otherwise scanners are not legal in FL.

This is also BAD INFO. You cannot have a scanner permanently installed in a vehicle in Florida unless you meet one of the exceptions in the statute. Search the threads and look at the sticky's for details, so this doesn't turn into a legal opinion thread as so many other have.

You'll be FINE with a handheld, so long as you don't flaunt. Simple. Easy. Enjoy.

S

SARCommCoord

trooper890 since you continue to post bad information...

843.16 Unlawful to install or TRANSPORT radio equipment using assigned frequency of state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions; penalties

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Ok guys, knock it off. The OP's question had nothing to do with transporting a scanner in Florida.

If you can answer his question, do so. If you can't, don't post.

Thanks.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
. In regards to the law, its still ILLEGAL to transport radio equipment capable of receiving LE frequencies regardless of the mode of transportation.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Not asking you directly, but wouldn't that include USPS, UPS, and Fedex as well? I don't think the definition of transport is as literal as some make it to be. I'm sure law enforcement is going to use common sense and not cite anyone unless it's on and accessible.

EDIT: Was still typing when mod posted.

trooper890

Phase II

Agreed, way too many threads here have fallen into chaos in dealing with that statute.

Metrofire, bring your 396. The Phase II traffic is limited to Apopka only at this time which is all ENC anyway. You are correct in that there aren't any (T) talkgroups shown in the DB because as of this writing there are not any in daily use.

Have a good trip!

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. In the meantime, I would recommend you drugstore lawyers stop " transporting" your scanners, even between your den and bedroom. You'll probably go to federal prison

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked.... the Orange County P25 system is TDMA *capable* but FD traffic is still FDMA. I am still able to monitor Orange County, Orlando, and Winter Park FD's on a BCD996XT I have out there as we speak.

TO ADD:

Orange - All law enforcement encrypted, most fire departments in the clear
Lake - All law enforcement and fire rescue encrypted, Lake Co FD has a conventional dispatch simulcast in the clear
Seminole - Law enforcement and fire rescue clear, transition to from Motorola to P25 in progress, program both systems?
Osceola - All law enforcement encrypted, fire rescue clear
Volusia - Law enforcement and fire rescue clear

Unless Orange Co suddenly goes TDMA, you should be fine monitoring with a BCD396XT. Performance however may vary.

For Seminole County, everything is on P25 except for County Net and county public works.

Status
Not open for further replies.