FreeSCAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roc54

Greetings. I'm new here.

Really struggling with attempting to get my new 346xl going...trying to figure out the programming based on the standard manual and the EZ Read manual is just not working for me...

That said, I have learned that there is, or was, free software available for the scanner. It is called freeSCAN. I've attempted to upload it from the internet, but have discovered that the website carrying the software is not operational.

Does anyone know of a current website which will allow the upload OR an alternate programming software program which might work on the 346? Any help will be appreciated.

This damn scanner is NOT user friendly.

roc54

Greetings! Thanks for the responses.

I found that website. I attempted upload from there. The .zip file uploads and then, on execution, I get a Freescan execute file in my program files, but when I command it to execute and install, it just sits there and does nothing.

Back to the drawing board...

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
You are actually downloading the software, not uploading it. Once you have the zip file, like all zip files you have to right click it and select extract all. Then double click the extracted file to install it. If it isn't working when you do that you have an issue with your PC. What version of Windows are you using?

roc54

Thank you, Dave, I'll try to do better with my terminology.

The zip file executes as you've described and it says Freescan has been installed. When I go to the program files and find the Freescan file, what I have is FreeSCAN.exe....clicking on that to open it does nothing.

I have Windows 7. It should work, so I'm guessing operator error or ignorance somewhere along the line...

John072343

Premium Subscriber
Cable Software

You may also need the software for your transfer cable to work properly.

SCPD

QRT

The zip file executes as you've described and it says Freescan has been installed. When I go to the program files and find the Freescan file, what I have is FreeSCAN.exe....clicking on that to open it does nothing.

I have Windows 7. It should work, so I'm guessing operator error or ignorance somewhere along the line...

You need to read the scanner into it.

Or you need to create conventional or trunked systems in FreeScan and write it to the scanner.

If the scanner is already programmed you can use the Virtual Control to log or otherwise control the scanner.

The program doesn't do anything unless you tell it what to do. :)

NHdave

Premium Subscriber

Interesting, if you go to start > all programs > freescan and click freescan it does nothing at all? Sounds like you may have other issues. Something is causing the install to not complete correctly, as it sounds like you did everything right.

Voyager

You DID UNZIP it first before running it, right?

SO many people try to run things from within a zip file...

roc54

Yes, I unzipped it.

I'll try things again later and update you.

Meanwhile, I'd like to thank you all for helping me on this. I'll get through it...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When you install, you should 'run as administrator' when Win7 asks you - just a thought....Mike

ChrisM83

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat with Freescan issues. The last time I updated my scanners was about 2012. I had an old laptop I would use. Well that laptop took a dump, so I bought a Dell. It runs Windows 8.1 and I can not for the life of me figure out how to download Freescan. It won't run or save off the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.