HP-1: Continuous static on CSQ channels after being on for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I recently upgraded to the latest firmware for my HomePatrol 1. I made my own favorites list and I only scan that list. Most channels have PL decode except for some high traffic railroad channels. After a day or so of scanning without power cycle or turning on/off, the scanner will not "hang up" after a transmission on one of the railroad channels. After the user is done talking, it will stay hung up with continuous static until I intervene by tapping the display to hold on the channel and then tapping again to start the scan. It happens at random and on random channels that do not have PL decode.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

Voyager

1. Increase squelch

2. Move the scanner farther away from the source of the noise (perhaps a PC).

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
HP1 squelch problem

I don't see if this problem was ever resolved; I am having sounds like the same problem with my HP1 hanging on conventional channels with csq squelch settings such as mutual aid channels, statewide channels, etc. Squelch increase does not help, not an interference problem it seems, it just will do this after the scanner has been on a while

timkilbride

Database Admin
Question for both posters...Are you using the attached antenna?

No, antenna mounted on tower around 50' AGL. I have since removed the two channels that were CSQ in the scanner. These channels would be keyed up well over a thousand times a day making the scanner hang up quite frequently. I now have very few seldom used CSQ in the radio and don't experience the hang up as frequently now.

Tim

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
My thinking is that *something* in or near your respective locations is emitting a weak, on-frequency signal. The signal might not be strong enough to break squelch on a CSQ frequency, but once the squelch is opened by a target signal, the weak signal is just strong enough to hold the channel and prevent scanning from resuming.

An unfortunate by-product of our tech-oriented lives is the proliferation of all types of electronic devices that can (and often do) emit low power signals anywhere in the radio spectrum. As I drive around my location, I am often amazed by how many of these "unintentional emitters" can be heard. As one example, I often hear very weak, local signals on the air band VHF and UHF distress frequencies. As I drive away, these signals quickly fade but one wonders how far these signals might travel from ground to air with few obstructions.

John AC4JK

Pat

Premium Subscriber
My HP-1 used to have the same issue where it would lock up on random CSQ frequencies (most frequently RR channels) after being powered on for a period of time. Raising the squelch would do nothing so I'd usually temporarily lock out the channel or reboot the scanner. It seems like the latest 2.06 firmware may have fixed whatever was causing this issue, at least in my case. Since updating it has not locked up on random CSQ channels.

Pat

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Now that you said that I don't remember mine doing it until I updated the firmware a couple months ago. It worked fine for a couple weeks after I got it until I noticed it hadn't been updated and then did the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Well for what it's worth, I finally deleted the offending frequencies and redownloaded them into my favorites list and so far since a week ago the radio has been working fine. Not sure what the problem was because everything looked identical to the way i had it programmed in the first time. Maybe some kind of corruption in the sd card? Anyways it seems to be fixed...

Status
Not open for further replies.