Trumbull Fire Dept

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimTailor

For quite some time now the Trumbull Fire channels (33.56 and 33.86) constantly hang on what sounds like just a carrier or static on my HP-1. Seems to happen randomly, not just after a transmission. The system hangs long enough that I usually have to avoid the channel to continue scanning. I'm pretty confident its not anything in my house. Any ideas what's going on?

owenbricker

Next time the scanner locks up, unplug any wireless modems, dvr, dvd/cd players and game systems. locks my radios up on UHF,VHF hi/low. should stop at once.

Sporadic E enthusiast
Its not in your house as I had to L/O .860 for the same reason at roughly 11:50 am. There was some skip around noon here.

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
33.56 (Fire Channel 1), 33.74 (Fire Channel 2) and 33.86 (Fairfield County Fire Mutual Aid channel) are not repeated. I haven't had any interference or hang ups where I am. It could be skip or something else your picking up near by. Have you tried listening to Trumbull Center's VHF High repeater to see if it could be coming from that? That repeater is crossed patched to 33.56.

JimTailor

I see the RR listing for Trumbull Center fireground as 460.63750. Is that the repeater you're referring too?
I'll add that to my favorites and see what happens. This has been going on for too long at all different times of the day and night to be skip. Its not constant so I don't think its anything else in my house like the furnace or my wifi or other computers.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
No, those are / were for fire-ground usage, not sure how active they actually are. 155.9625 is the TCFD repeater output and I believe its a DPL of 311. This repeater has been active for about 3 years now.

And I miss typed VHF-Low Fire Channel 2, its actually 33.76, not 33.74.

JimTailor

I've never seen 155.9625 listed. I'll definitely try that beginning today. Thanks for the info.

APX7500X2

the 155 MHz patch to the 33.56 has been having a lot of issues lately. Trumbull's biggest issue is they have no interest in radio systems, its all about the trucks for them LOL...They have had a UHF repeater pair licensed for almost 15 years and have never used it. The PD is spending tons of money on a new system that is going to be like 3 or 4 site simulcast (Sorry Encrypted) with microwave ect, what better time to piggy back a 3 or 4 site UHF system at the same time (All the departments have UHF portables in all the trucks)...Nope they need new trucks! LMAO

JimTailor

Never heard about the TPD radio system upgrade until now. The encryption is NOT good news at all. I know there are other issues but when was the last time anyone has heard about the "bad guys" getting an edge on the police by listening to the scanner? I've always been concerned about what's going on around me and listening to the scanner has been a part of that awareness especially in a town where lots of things are kept quiet. Since the newspaper stopped reporting actual news a few years ago, its always been important to have another way of knowing what's going on. Apart from this awareness factor, I've always liked to listen to the scanner during inclement weather. What's happening is always a lot more interesting than anything on the TV or radio!
Any idea when the target date is for this system? I've actually been considering purchasing another new scanner but I might put that money elsewhere now.

APX7500X2

I believe the system is still a year or so away. I love listening to the scanner but having worked public safety for over 30 years im all for 100% encryption on all public safety channels. We all know we have no real need to hear the info live but we all want to.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
" im all for 100% encryption on all public safety channels"

Just what would be the reason for saying this? It appears you dont have a problem either way so why state you are 100% in favor of encryption?

I wont try to convince you otherwise but if we dont have a need to listen to public safety radio, it follows we dont have a need to listen to any comms of any type heard on two way systems. While this can be true, its also unnecessary to encrypt everything. Sensitive information is always, or should always, be transmitted on an MDT or cell phone connection, in other words, a system that does not use audio. The police car with the window down, or the PA system on broadcasting to the officer outside his car, or the portable he has blaring away can be overheard by those within earshot. The progressive departments notify officers of a message they need to review on their mobile data terminal or they get a call on the officers cell phone. There is no need to encrypt. It's turned into a selling incentive. Motorola, just using them as an example, will throw in encryption with the new digital system at no charge, telling us that its a major savings over previous analogue system encryption options which cost big bucks. The advent of digital makes encryption cheap and easy. So its accepted in any new shopping spree for a new comm system. But its not needed and they know that.

Sorry to learn you have no interest in scanning. It makes me wonder why you are posting here at all...

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Just what would be the reason for saying this? It appears you dont have a problem either way so why state you are 100% in favor of encryption?

I wont try to convince you otherwise but if we dont have a need to listen to public safety radio, it follows we dont have a need to listen to any comms of any type heard on two way systems. While this can be true, its also unnecessary to encrypt everything. Sensitive information is always, or should always, be transmitted on an MDT or cell phone connection, in other words, a system that does not use audio. The police car with the window down, or the PA system on broadcasting to the officer outside his car, or the portable he has blaring away can be overheard by those within earshot. The progressive departments notify officers of a message they need to review on their mobile data terminal or they get a call on the officers cell phone. There is no need to encrypt. It's turned into a selling incentive. Motorola, just using them as an example, will throw in encryption with the new digital system at no charge, telling us that its a major savings over previous analogue system encryption options which cost big bucks. The advent of digital makes encryption cheap and easy. So its accepted in any new shopping spree for a new comm system. But its not needed and they know that.

Sorry to learn you have no interest in scanning. It makes me wonder why you are posting here at all...

Awesome post & Well said bill,he may have his reasons and i respect him for that and you cant please everyone when it comes to encryption,some people want it and most don't ( at least the scanner monitors don't want it) washington dc went encrypted recently and that started a crap storm,we have no control over it unfortunately.i love listening to several pd & fd on the scanner.like you said the dealers are making it easier to have these system encrypted.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The great /\/\otorola Hype!

Someone, ( Motorola ) sold yet ANOTHER department on the solution to all of their problems by way of encryption! Now, don't get me wrong, encryption has it's rightful places. The medics talking to a hospital giving out patient vital information, the detectives working a sting or special teams like SWAT, etc...
Imagine the nightmare of some member of the media or even the bad guy himself having radio access to play by play of a SWAT team at a hostage negotiation. Ok, that I understand. But full time encryption on everything? Nope! Instead of spending money on data technology, MDTs like has already been mentioned are a perfect way to send and receive sensitive info without the need of full time encryption. It's not the fault of the regular patrol officers. It's the people further up the food chain making the decisions. We all KNOW who is the one entity pushing and / or selling this to departments. /\/\ore and /\/\ore-torola. I will never understand why this state works the way it does. Better yet, I am absolutely amazed how the different departments manage not to trip all over each other and get hurt. When it comes to communicating and working together, the northeast has a "0" rating overall. I had the pleasure of working with Emergency Management personnel for about 3 years. Conference after conference that we attended, made one thing very clear: everyone wants to play by themselves. People make frequency and band choices without thinking about who else they may need to talk to during an emergency. In some cases, there is animosity within the town agencies themselves. PD won't talk to FD because of XXXX. EMS gets lost in the shuffle somewhere. It's ridiculous. Emergency management? forget about it! Some towns don't even have a person in that position as director or manager. and these are the people you are supposed to rely on in an EMERGENCY! Take a look at Trumbull for example: PD is on 800mhz. WHY? because at the time of them looking to get off low band, they were told this was the miracle cure for what ails them. This was the wave of the future and you need to ride it!. Yeah right! They used to have to call dispatch from their cars in the parking lot BEFORE going into the mall on a call because there was no reception at all once they went inside..Mind you, this is a PILICE department I'm talking about here.What happens if they need help once inside the mall? HMM. Anybody know exactly how far is the mall from the police station? 2-3 minutes maybe less. After years of negotiations, Westfield, the mall property owner finally let them put something on one of the roofs and now that is no longer an issue. Now, lets move on to FD. They shared a low band frequency 33.56 with Easton Fire. The channel had NO PL / DPL tone! NONE! Yet, as has already been pointed out, they have been licensed for UHF for years! YEARS! Then, they complicate things by adding a VHF frequency to patch in the low band that clearly should be abandoned altogether. Now, public works is on low band I believe. There is no frequency listed for Emergency Mgmt. So, in case a major emergency where wires are down, lights out, phone lines down, etc..nobody can talk to anybody to get anything done. PD would not be able to talk to FD because there is no current way for them to patch in from their 800 mhz channel, then FD would not be able to talk to PW for things such as tree removal, street clearing etc.EMS is all by itself somewhere in the frequency shuffle on VHF not being able to talk to anyone outside the medical realm. Pure chaos in town, but then again, we are all set,, we have encryption.......

Manny

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Came across a new license for the Trumbull Center Fire District that was filed on January 23rd 2015

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0006631963 - TRUMBULL CENTER FIRE DISTRICT

154.1975 Mhz
Associated with the WQKV506 license....looks like with the antenna locations for this one they are trying to improve the repeater. Interesting to see what happens next. And it looks like the locations look like Long Hill Station 3, Long Hill Station 2 and the PD

Thanks for the find Chris.

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Nichols has a fire going on right now. Listenting through broadcastify and there is a lot of activity. Unfortunately my scanner antenna is down so I only have the wick on it, not picking them up to well.

APX7500X2

100% because I have worked in public safety over 30 years, and those who work in public safety know what a PIA ignorant scanner listeners can be, flapping about things they know nothing about and making big deals over nothing.

Nice dig about my interest in scanning. Iv been scanning for almost 40 years and love to listen, but unlike people who "wonder" things I know and can accept its just a hobby.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Nichols has a fire going on right now. Listenting through broadcastify and there is a lot of activity. Unfortunately my scanner antenna is down so I only have the wick on it, not picking them up to well.

It was a good fire Joe. Got there about an hour into it when it started up again. Weird that they are moving forward with VHF when 90% of the mutual aid they get or give is on UHF and they already have a UHF Repeater pair and 6 or 7 low power UHF channels.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.