New to SDR and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpminchey

Hey everyone

I just got my first Sdr got the nooelec r820t2 sdr

I am having trouble getting it setup and working.
I have downloaded sdr sharp and hdsdr and still can only get static.

can Any one help me or point me to a place I can find instructions to get it you work.

thanks

WQPW689

SDR#

Try this page:

Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com

You have to use Zadig to make sure you have the right drivers.

I got mine running yesterday, and I must admit, I pretty much stumbled through it.

Once I had the program up and running, I couldn't receive anything either, until I started fooling around with the Configure button, and turned on Tuner AGC in the Controller splash screen.

Hope it helps.

BTW, I use SDR#, not HDSDR.

Edit: Just for kicks, I went back and installed HDSDR and that page walked me through it perfectly. Only other thing I can add is to start off trying to get your local FM stations and leave the other bands alone until you have that accomplished.

Last edited:

rbm

Once you have the zadig driver properly installed, you can use these settings for the NOAA weather broadcasts to get you started.

Once you calibrate your dongle, the ppm setting will be different.

Rich

SDR# NOAA weather radio reception.

Last edited:

spelunk68

Same issue, baffled, just noise, here is my set up...

you can see the spike where my local WX should be at 162.400 but just static.

Also to note I am using the antenna that came with it and I also have a diamond quad band antenna outside on a mast connected by the mini connector to pl259. Same result, same static both antenna.

My settings...

Attachments

• !wxissue.jpg
    !wxissue.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 465

spelunk68

Some additional info...

Also to add I ran Zadig and used it to install the driver, and have actually re-ran it since. You can see the final results below. The one thing of interest is that there are no devices in the dropdown unless I click list all, could this have anything to do with the issue?

Attachments

• !z1.png
    !z1.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 376
  • !z2.png
    !z2.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 350

rbm

It looks to me like it's working.

I would go to the center slide bar all the way on the right side 'Range' and adjust it until your baseline is around -60 to -70.
There's no reason to look at anything below the noise floor.
Also, until you get everything working the way you want, I would set the sample rate somewhere around 1.4 MSPS.
That just makes the screen less cluttered.

Both of those settings are personal preference and not really important for reception.

Turn the squelch off.
Make sure the frequency correction is proper for your USB dongle.

Turn the gain up.
In the image below, I'm using a base antenna with a good preamp intalled.

Rich

spelunk68

Still nothing

Thanks Rich, I just get quieter noise in the area where the signaling should be but nothing resembling the broadcast or hints of a broadcast. I wonder if I got a dud dongle. Took the FC to +/- 100 and nothing different. Just quieter noise in band as opposed to real static noise out of band. That or I just missed something stupid. I am new here so I do not know when this post will show up, I added another post with my Zadig info and that has not shown up yet.

spelunk68

Frequency Change takes effect real time just not when you close correct? Getting so frustrated, NooElec says since they see signal it must be either I have the wrong decode and or bandwidth. I have followed every guide to the T and every image of settings like yours I have mirrored and I have yet to hear anything resembling speech or anything but static. I assume from your pic you are receiving the Mount Holly WX? I am sure I must have a setting wrong somewhere, but very odd that I have the same results in SDRSharp and HDSDR. Going to keep plugging away at it, but if I am not hearing anything but static but I see the signal is there and strong I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. I miss my FT-847 all Band I had to sell :(

SCPD

QRT
Spelunk do you want me to remote into your system and set you up properly?

Download teamviewer and email me the login/password (mikexeno@aol.com) details and i will have you up and running in about 10 min

www.teamviewer.com

SCPD

QRT
you can see the spike where my local WX should be at 162.400 but just static.
Check the "Correct IQ" button to remove the spike in the center of your display.

Can you post a screen shot of your RTL SDR settings? (click the gear icon)

spelunk68

Mike from Mike Xeno helped me out, it looks like the factory antenna is not getting any signal in the house and the quad band I have outside may have cable damage so I am going to see about resolving those issues. But I will post if I am still having issues. Thanks Mike if you read this, you were a huge help!

spelunk68

this waiting for admin approval is making me nuts!! We are all good now it was an antenna issue, the one that came with unit is receiving nada and had a wiring issue with the quad band, all is good now! Thanks Mike Xeno!

spelunk68

One other question, bringing levels up even UHF/VHF

Thank you for all of your help. I am making good progress figuring it all out now. I do have one question though. I want to be able to scan UHF and VHF in one group but it seems like the floor on one is low and the other is high so it makes setting my signal strength level work for one and not for the other. I need to either bring UHF levels down or VHF levels up. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.