2015 GMC Yukon Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGOOSE2754

This is my buddy's 2015 GMC Yukon install I did for him. The three radios are mounted inside the factory center console with a Havis vehicle-specific mounting kit that utilizes the inside of the factory center console compartment under the center armrest. Three radios installed are the Uniden BCD536HP, Uniden BCD996XT, and a Uniden 980 CB Radio.

The scanners have GPS hooked up to both units. I ran a power wire through the firewall to the battery to provide constant power to everything inside the console, including GPS units. I installed a lighted rocker switch that controls the power to everything going to the center console so nothing gets left on to drain the battery. There is a factory cigarette lighter outlet already inside the center console, but it is only powered on when the ignition is turned on, so that power source wouldn't work.

I ran three antenna cables to the back cargo area where I have three magnetic mount NMO style antenna mounts. This allows the antennas to be quickly stowed when entering a parking structure.

I installed two external potentiometers (circled in red in third photo below) next to the coin tray area on the outside of the center console that permit the driver to adjust the volume level of each scanner without having to open the center console lid to reach the scanner's volume control knobs. These potentiometers control the volume level running to the two uniden external speakers mounted on the side of the center console. There's an external speaker for the CB too, but no external potentiometer for that radio.

For the most part, the entire install allows the vehicle to be returned to factory appearance when it gets traded in. No holes in the roof, console etc.

The only problem I ran into was that the GPS antenna cables were not long enough to reach the dashboard. I put the GPS antennas in the center console side pocket tray and they seem to be getting an adequate GPS signal just sitting in there.

This install allows the radio gear to remain concealed while still providing easy control of the volume for each scanner. The only drawback is that you can't see the radio display without opening the center console lid.

Attachments

• Yukon1.jpg
    Yukon1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10,411
  • yukon2.jpg
    yukon2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8,512
  • yukon2knobs2.jpg
    yukon2knobs2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 10,110

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
WOW! What a slick install! I have been anxiously waiting for someone to share an install in a '15 Tahoe or Yukon so thanks for sharing. The 'external' volume controls are a nice tough! And the hide-away install is very slick. Sometimes I wish my radios were a little more hidden when I'm parking in a risky area.

I'd like to see a pic of the antennas.

Some may criticize that the antennas are magnet mount but sometimes you do what you gotta do. You mentioned the reason and that's the same reason I can't roof mount the antennas on my Pathfinder - I have about 10" clearance above my roof when I pull into my garage. In my case, my scanner antenna is on my left front fender and my ham dual band antenna is on an adjustable lip mount on my lift gate. I wish they could be on the roof but it just isn't possible.

avgas

Slick install. I agree that not being able to see the displays without opening the lid is a bit of a pain but you cant have everything.

PACNWDude

Very nice. My last job had me driving a 2008 Suburban with that same console. A vendor mounted two Vertex VX-3200's in the console, but did not use the Havis mount. It looked a lot worse. No thought was given to getting the audio out either.

This would have been the way to go for my last company vehicle.

Great install and looks nice in there.

MGOOSE2754

These are the antenna photos. The center antenna is a low-profile cellular look-alike CB antenna, which is ok for short range. My buddy has a larger magnetic mount CB antenna stowed in the back for long trips where better reception is needed. The other two antennas on the left and right of the CB antenna are magnetic NMO style mounts with two Laird 806-866 Mhz low profile antennas for the two scanners. These Laird antennas seem to work well for overall reception even down to 150 Mhz, and are fantastic for 800 Mhz reception.

Attachments

• yukon3.jpg
    yukon3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 5,369
  • yukon5.jpg
    yukon5.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 5,274

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
These are the antenna photos. The center antenna is a low-profile cellular look-alike CB antenna, which is ok for short range. My buddy has a larger magnetic mount CB antenna stowed in the back for long trips where better reception is needed. The other two antennas on the left and right of the CB antenna are magnetic NMO style mounts with two Laird 806-866 Mhz low profile antennas for the two scanners. These Laird antennas seem to work well for overall reception even down to 150 Mhz, and are fantastic for 800 Mhz reception.

That ride looks slick! And since the mag mounts are necessary due to clearance issues then that's what works. Overall a nice install!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Great install.

Have you considered just removing the console cover screws? You could then take the cover off when in use so the radios can be seen and toss the cover in the back seat. When parked you could just put the cover back on top of the radios to hide them.

I did this with my Expedition and it worked great!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Oh no no no, you HAVE to go with drilled nmo mounts if you're going to have nice radios such as you have! Mag mounts so distract from the install! You will thank everyone who suggests this, as performance will be so much better also!

Mike

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Oh no no no, you HAVE to go with drilled nmo mounts if you're going to have nice radios such as you have! Mag mounts so distract from the install! You will thank everyone who suggests this, as performance will be so much better also!

Mike

He explained in his original post why that wasn't an option.

Also, keep in mind this is not his vehicle.

N5TWB

He explained in his original post why that wasn't an option.

Also, keep in mind this is not his vehicle.

I think I detected a slight hint of sarcasm in that declaration. I happen to agree with the sentiment for drilled, permanent mounts but I also understand reasons why they're not used in some circumstances. Obviously, they're being made/sold so I guess there's enough demand for them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Interior looks great, nice job.

Exterior, not so much. I understand, limitations due to clearance and all, I read that. Just sort of destroys the whole look. Seems like building an awesome muscle car with a built crate motor, then putting cheap tires on it…. just sayin'. Low profile antennas would be useful to replace the 800MHz whips. A simple 1/4 wave won't stick up much higher than the roof rack rails. CB, well, not much you can do there….

Status
Not open for further replies.