Which Scanner would you get if you had 375 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

I've got 375 dollars in gift cards to Sears and am thinking about adding another scanner to go with my 536HP at home. I can't decide whether to get a 396xt or a 436HP. Let me explain my needs.

1. This will be for the car/portable
2. Has to have FTO so I can cut down to local traffice only (both do)
3. Only put in my local county radio system, don't really listen to much else.
4. As small and compact as possible

As far as I'm concerned the 399xt will suite my needs and will cost just about what I have to spend. I guess I'm looking to see if there is any reason why I should spend more for the 436HP?

Interested in your responses

Roveer

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
Is the system you intend to monitor P25 Phase2 if so, get the 436. If not, & its a TRS that can be monitored, get the 396XT. Although, you could use the same file for the x36HP's & gain that convenience...

Roveer

I'm pretty sure the current system I monitor is P1 as I am able to monitor it on my RS106. My only hesitation would be not being able to monitor P2 if any of my systems move to P2. I'll keep mulling it for now.

My thoughts right now are that the 396xt is smaller than the 436 which mike make it slightly more attractive to me.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm pretty sure the current system I monitor is P1 as I am able to monitor it on my RS106. My only hesitation would be not being able to monitor P2 if any of my systems move to P2. I'll keep mulling it for now.

My thoughts right now are that the 396xt is smaller than the 436 which mike make it slightly more attractive to me.

Its lighter also. Seems to do better on the VHF signals than the x36, if that is a concern for you.

TedRHayes

For what its worth, a lot of systems here in Ohio are moving to P25 Phase 1 Simulcast (LSM). The 396 doesn't do that well with simulcast systems, the 436 does.

Voyager

MARCS-IP will likely go Phase II at some point, so I would go with the 436 (not sure where the OH reference started unless someone knows you are in OH). Since you have the 536, the operation would be nearly identical and your files will program with the same software and same files.

BUT, the 396XT is definitely more compact. It, however, has many more memory limitations, and how you like your 536 to work may not work at all in the 396 - such as having as many TGs in one System. You also cannot enable/disable Sites as easily on the 396, and only have 10 Group Quick Keys as opposed to 100.

In fact, the compact design is the only thing the 396 has going for it over the 436.

It would greatly help if you said where you are.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I like my 396XT except when listening to a simulcast P25 system. Depending upon where I am, I have simulcast distortion issues.

So if receiving P25 Phase II isn't a requirement, or the system to be monitored isn't a simulcast system, then the 396XT may be reasonable.

Roveer

MARCS-IP will likely go Phase II at some point, so I would go with the 436 (not sure where the OH reference started unless someone knows you are in OH). Since you have the 536, the operation would be nearly identical and your files will program with the same software and same files.

BUT, the 396XT is definitely more compact. It, however, has many more memory limitations, and how you like your 536 to work may not work at all in the 396 - such as having as many TGs in one System. You also cannot enable/disable Sites as easily on the 396, and only have 10 Group Quick Keys as opposed to 100.

In fact, the compact design is the only thing the 396 has going for it over the 436.

It would greatly help if you said where you are.

Wow.. Lots of good information. Just what I was looking for. I'm in northern NJ and monitor the Morris County Public Safety system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7494 which appears to be a P25 Phase I system.

What is the likeliness of the county upgrading from P1 to P2?

I'm starting to think maybe I should spend the additional money and go with a 436 for many of the reasons above and to also have familiarity with my 536

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
I have both. I bought the 436 first, mainly for recording audio, then got the 396 afterwards for its size and ease of use. Personally, I would get the 436 because it has virtually unlimited space for radio IDs, quick-playback and long-term recording, and would program easily with your 536. The 396 is a great radio but I now realize how far superior the 436 really is in so many ways. Honestly the 396 is easier to use, so your major issue to decide is whether you need recording/playback or not. Also I think the 396 only does 10 tone-outs and the 436 does 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.