Loop Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

W0ACT

Premium Subscriber
I have been thinking about getting a loop antenna to add to my Elad FDM-S2 receiver.

I am currently using an L F Engineering H-800 Skymatch vertical active antenna mounted in the attic, due to subdivision restrictions.

I enjoy listening to all of the bands, but really enjoy 500 kHz and below.

I have been reading about the “Pixel RF Pro-1B”, “AOR LA-400” and the “Palstar LA-30”.

I see pros & cons to all three, and am looking to see if anybody has any experience with them they are willing to share and also open to other ideas.

Thanks,
Steve

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can add the Wellbrook Communications line of antennas from the UK to your list.

There's been quite a lot written about loops - here are just a few links to wet your whistle...

https://pixel-antennas.com/?page_id=31
(there are reviews linked at the bottom)

Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Product Reviews
(Note: there are some significant changes between the earlier PRO-1A and 1B.)

Wellbrook Communications
(links to reviews are found on the bottom of this page)

Wellbrook ALA-1530 Active Magnetic Loop Antenna Product Reviews

Wellbrook ALA-330 active magnetic loop antenna Product Reviews

http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Documents/Loop vs Loop Final-Final.pdf

And of course, our own wiki on the subject, which has links to 2 antennas-related Yahoo groups at the bottom, along with some homebrew stuff and much more on this subject;

Loops - The RadioReference Wiki

And it goes without saying that you can use the Search tools to search this forum for additional info.

Get a large cup of your favorite tuning oil - you're going to be here a while...Mike

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I highly recommend this, even for a restricted area. You can mount the loop vertically outside a couple of feet above the ground and get awesome results!

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased one of these. I haven't had an opportunity to install it outside, so it's simply sitting on a box In my shack. I am amazed at the level of performance!! I cannot believe the level of noise reduction and reception, especially considering the fact that this is a brand new house and the roof sheathing is foil backed!!

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I recently purchased one of these. I haven't had an opportunity to install it outside, so it's simply sitting on a box In my shack. I am amazed at the level of performance!! I cannot believe the level of noise reduction and reception, especially considering the fact that this is a brand new house and the roof sheathing is foil backed!!

You will be even more amazed when you install your Loop outside.

OHIOSCAN

I also have the Wellbrook 1530+, its the best antenna I have ever owned. And Wellbrook is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. If your HOA limited you won't find a better RX option.

W0ACT

Premium Subscriber
After doing some additional reading along with consuming a few bottles of tuning oil while doing so, I decided that I need to brew up another batch of tuning oil, I am thinking a nice double IPA this time around, oh yea, and to order a Wellbrook ALA1530S+ Imperium antenna.

Just finished installing the tripod in the attic so we will be ready when it arrives.

Going to swing it with a Channel Master 9521A rotor which should do the trick while in the attic, and I already have a plan of wrapping a 20w brew belt around the rotor to keep it warm if the grease gets too cold to swing the antenna in the winter.

I know it’s the attic, but it’s the best that I can do until I retire and move to our next place that will be warmer in the winter.

Thanks for everybody’s input!

:)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Good deal, Steve. Keep us appraised of how you're progressing...and do be careful about brewing the tuning oil -- can be very explosive :.>>

Mike

I currently have a Wellbrook LA5030 indoor loop that I actually use outside sitting on my patio wall using a cheap $15 camera tripod connected to my Elad FDM-S2 & it works phenomenally well!! If you can set up something similar to this I highly doubt that you'll be disappointed!
499387f7ce0d07e176d082b0869a4fe6.jpg
0192aaca8802b3263d047b1e1086ab66.jpg

hfxChris

Database Admin
I find Wellbrook's website really difficult to figure out. I can't seem to figure out what the differences are between the ALA1530S+ Imperium and the ALA1530 Aluminium, aside from the cost.
I find hunting through paragraphs to find the technical details a little off-putting...

WM7C

Premium Subscriber
I find Wellbrook's website really difficult to figure out. I can't seem to figure out what the differences are between the ALA1530S+ Imperium and the ALA1530 Aluminium, aside from the cost.
I find hunting through paragraphs to find the technical details a little off-putting...

I thought so too, but the comparison page spells it out. The + says it's active while the non + says it's passive.

Comparison Chart

hfxChris

Database Admin
I saw that comparison chart, but I wrote it off as being either out of date or just plain incorrect, as the ALA1530's own page calls it an active antenna and does not state passive anywhere on it - unless I'm just not understanding the terminology used on this website.
Also the comparison chart has the incorrect frequency coverage listed for that antenna as well - chart says 30kHz-30MHz but the page for the product says 50kHz-30MHz.
Although after a lot of comparing the paragraphs of text the ALA1530S+ does appear to have greater gain.

I'm going to email him and see what he says...

SCPD

QRT

Both antennas are "active antennas" or in this case "active loops" but the S+ model has a 2nd amplifier in the actual interface unit as well as the "amp head" on the loop itself.

Both interface boxes have FM filters and electronics for the DC power insertion.

The increased gain is from this 2nd amplifier. (The increased gain reduces the bandwidth of the loop very slightly.)

Both are fine antennas and should work well for any HF receiver; however, if you live near any AM transmission towers then the S+ model might not be as effective.

The 1530S+ is geared at the full HF spectrum whereas the 330S model is geared for the primary shortwave bands.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
How much are loop antennas affected by trees, bushes, and vegetation? If I put one up, I need to try to keep it fairly hidden, least I get a letter from my HOA giving me 30 days to take it down....:mad:

SCPD

QRT
How much are loop antennas affected by trees, bushes, and vegetation? If I put one up, I need to try to keep it fairly hidden, least I get a letter from my HOA giving me 30 days to take it down....:mad:

No discernible effect. You can even paint most of them.

Find the loop:

findtheloop.jpg

findtheloop2.jpg

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Now that's what I call hidden! Many people wouldn't see it even if you pointed it out to them. Is that the Wellbrook 1530?

Status
Not open for further replies.