• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM 1250 External Speaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmer166

Feed Provider
Hello,

I have a CDM 1250 radio, programmed & works great. I bought the external speaker adapter, plug it in and no audio for the external speaker, only the main speaker on the radio. Do i have to have it programmed to use the external speaker and not use the internal speaker?

Thanks

cmdrwill

"Cable 62 Motorola CDM CDM750 CDM1250 CDM1550 Recording Adaptor "

Wrong cable.

BTW, the proper connector comes with the external speaker for the CDM series radios.

Pins one and sixteen.

elmer166

Feed Provider
I am new to mobile radios, only using scanners in the past.

What I want to do is use the CDM 1250 for my online scanner that I currently use a scanner for. I was told this was the correct cable to connect the radio to my computer then to my online scanner.

Tried searching and found something about pin 1 & 16 but the person who programmed the radio does not know. Going to another place tomorrow and will hopefully get it to work.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wait,
Do you want an external speaker, or an external low level audio output to feed your computer?
Two different things.

Your post heading says "External Speaker Question".
On the CDM's, the SPEAKER output is on pins 1 and 16. This is amplified audio for feeding an external speaker, much to high level for feeding a line input.

Pin 11 is "flat RX audio" and is listed as "partly" programmable. Pin 7 is the ground.

You need to choose the correct output for what you want. You can use both outputs at the same time, if you want, 1 & 16 feeding an external speaker and 7 & 11 feeding your audio input.

Depending on how the radio is set up, you might need someone to check the settings in the programming. I don't have my programming computer here with me, but I could take a look tomorrow.

elmer166

Feed Provider
You are correct. I am new to radios. I figured like a scanner if you plug in a cord it will disable the speaker and be able to be connected to the computer. As I am finding out, it is not that easy to make it work.

I am going to a different person tomorrow to hopefully get the radio programed correctly.

Thanks for your help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you hook up an external speaker (or even the "flat audio") connection on the rear, it will not disconnect the internal speaker.
The "flat audio" output isn't altered by the volume control on the front of the radio, so if you want to hook up to your computer and just turn the volume down on the radio, that'll work just fine. The flat audio won't be affected.

Front volume control does control the external speaker, however.

cmdrwill

What he really wants is Filtered Audio on pin 11. And it is not affected by the volume control.

And that is close to line level.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I think he really wants both. Just add two more wires to the cable you bought and connect them to pins 1 & 16 of the connector. Those will run the external speaker. Connect the pre-wired connector for your audio feed to a computer. To disable the radios internal speaker you have to remove the control head and unplug the speaker wire from the speaker.

elmer166

Feed Provider
I got it to work. Thanks for all your help.

The problem I have now is the low audio.

Am hosting my online scanner using this radio.

800trashman

Can I ask, the "cable 62" mentioned above, will it allow me to still listen to the original speaker, and plug the radio into my digital recorder to record clean audio? I have a CDM 1550ls+, looking to record clean audio from it into my digital recorder with normal 3.5 jack in. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can I ask, the "cable 62" mentioned above, will it allow me to still listen to the original speaker, and plug the radio into my digital recorder to record clean audio?

Yes, that's exactly what it's for.

I have a CDM 1550ls+, looking to record clean audio from it into my digital recorder with normal 3.5 jack in. Thanks

That's the item you need, then. It will allow you to record and not interrupt the front speaker. The volume control on the front of the radio will only control the speaker(s), not the output that this cable uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.