Middlesex - Fire Academy Tower getting antennas! Sayreville

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
I work directly across from Middlesex County Fire Academy on Main St Ext. in Sayreville.

The tower they have there at the fire academy at one point was pretty barren.
However, this week they have been having 2, 3, 4 tower climbers up there at once.
They are putting a bunch of antennas on that tower it seems.
Just figured I'd alert all RR people to keep their ears open & check out those tower climbers.
Not sure what exactly is going onto the tower? PSIC? Middlesex OpenSky? Just a guess?
There is some directional microwave link antennas on the tower. One appears to be pointing towards New Brunswick making me hopeful for a PSIC link to New Brunswick? Anyone know?
I've been CC'ing on my Uniden Scanners at my work to see if anything is coming on..

Last edited:

Tech792

Its not cellular. I just talked to the contractor doing the antenna work. He said it for police/fire comms for the new 700 and I believe he said some VHF/UHF also. It all going to be linked via microwave throughout the county.

Last edited:

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Tech792 Thank you for the info!
It really is a sight to see. They are working on it constantly.
By the 700 Mhz..you mean the new OpenSky system right? Or has Middlesex decided to pull the plug on OpenSky yet and do P25?
If you get any more info I'm sure there will be lots of interest here on RR. Thanks again.

ansky- I'm 150% positive those aren't cellular antennas. I've been watching with binoculars daily on my lunch breaks.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Here are some pictures I took today. Notice there is a tower climber up there!
zP6OsLw.jpg

vSl3ey5.jpg

KZXX1AX.jpg

6W0kB3s.jpg

9EbMnVE.jpg

Bzca9Xn.jpg

ansky

Last I knew Opensky was out the door so I suspect it will be P25.

Are you saying the Middlesex County system that is currently using ProVoice will move to P25? Given that ProVoice is basically unmonitorable I would think this would be a welcome change for listeners.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Figured I would give you all a major update here. Thanks to another administrator for posting this in another forum related in a way to this one. Will help gauge the timeframe for all of this hence if the FCC approves their timeframe for buildout. From what I gather Middlesex County has already done a lot to complete the setup for the 700/800mhz system. Here is paperwork of their progress and should be up and running by September 2015

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...ttachmentKey=19602327&attachmentInd=licAttach

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
They certainly have a very aggressive schedule to put the system online, sounds like vcomm can't wait to get out of the contract

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
They certainly have a very aggressive schedule to put the system online, sounds like vcomm can't wait to get out of the contract

I think the letter from the FCC has facilitated a rush to convert from EDACS to P25 Phase 2. Most if not all the radios and hardware is easily upgradeable. I'm sure some talkgroups will be encrypted but maybe not a first for testing purposes until the talkgroup is fully up and running.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Been noticing.
The tower work for now appears to be done, however the company that did it I guess? left lines going up to the top for hosting antennas etc. Further, they have a spot up on top of the tower I think I see.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Been noticing.
The tower work for now appears to be done, however the company that did it I guess? left lines going up to the top for hosting antennas etc. Further, they have a spot up on top of the tower I think I see.

Thanks for the update

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Just drove past the Fire Academy. Sorry I couldn't snap any pictures. Tower still looks the same as the previous updated picture post. Still one or two cables hanging down. Nothing interesting to note at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.