Uniden 396XT Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Hi guys. Question technical question. I live in a cold environment and right now we are in a bit of a cold snap with the average temp at night going down to around -15 degrees Celsius. I have a Uniden 396Xt that I keep in my car and power with both batteries and the car adapter. The other morning I got "Voltage Error" or Battery Error presumably due to the extreme cold over night and sitting for 12 + hours. It went away after the car warmed up. My question is..... if I take the batteries out and run simply off the car adapter, will I lose any programming memory if I start the car atleast once a day and / or will it harm the scanner at all?

Thanks guys!

Voyager

Best advice is to bring the 396 and batteries inside.

At those temps, condensation is a concern.

joeuser

The Wretched
Hi guys. Question technical question. I live in a cold environment and right now we are in a bit of a cold snap with the average temp at night going down to around -15 degrees Celsius. I have a Uniden 396Xt that I keep in my car and power with both batteries and the car adapter. The other morning I got "Voltage Error" or Battery Error presumably due to the extreme cold over night and sitting for 12 + hours. It went away after the car warmed up. My question is..... if I take the batteries out and run simply off the car adapter, will I lose any programming memory if I start the car atleast once a day and / or will it harm the scanner at all?

Thanks guys!

Should be fine to run it like that, but pull the batteries. Where its a portable... I'd do what Voyager suggested. Don't leave it in extreme heat or cold... Take care of your stuff & it will take care of you.

osiris

396xt question

Hi
The temp should not affect the radio, other than the condensation problem mentioned.
Taking the batteries out would solve that if you will be running on ignition power.
And, no, you won't lose your programming.
I had my BCD996T in my truck 24/7 when I lived in upstate Pennsylvania and never had a problem except when I first turned it on the display was sometimes a little dim.

Voyager

Extreme hot or cold can also damage LCD displays.
(over and above the slow response when cold)

Status
Not open for further replies.