home patrol base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastport1950

I put my hp-1 back in service today. just wondering if I could get some input on a base antenna. im
currently using a antennacraft st2 now. have the st2 pointing slightly off due north. I live in a area called cape st Claire about mile & half from bay bridge. any input would be appreciated.

mciupa

How is your Baltimore reception? The ST-2 should be able to pull it in.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
From what I read that is the best scanner antenna made. Get it up higher like Kingmobileaudio said.

There could also be some interference source near you. Cell towers are notorious for interfering with scanner reception.

Voyager

Best omnidirectional, all-band antenna? Well, it's certainly in the top 5, but all antennas have limitations. A Yagi, for example, will easily outperform it in one direction on one band.

It is the one I most often recommend based on performance/price/value/all-band coverage/ease of assembly/availability.

eastport1950

hp 1

thanks for the replys, its up 40 feet so I don't think that's the issue. I think the issue is there are thick trees on our property especially holly trees. I have a feeling they might be partially blocking
the signal. I mean I guess trees can block radio signals. the antenna is slightly off of north. balti
more city p.d. & f.d. come in loud and clear. state police sound like there next door. and a.a.c.p.d.
come in clear. oh by the way we have like 15 trees on our property which is just about a acre. wond
er what reception I might get at roof level. i.e. peak of the roof.

eastport1950

hp-1 antenna

well we just figured out whats going on. my st-2 is swinging around when there is wind. apparently
2 sections of the mast are not tight so what I did was drill a hole thru the 2 sections put a nut & bolt thru it and tightened it up. also put lock tight on the nut. lets see if this takes care of the problem. want to THANK every1 for the replys

eastport1950

hp-1

quick update we took down the antenna to put a bolt & nut on it. and found the section that was swinging around was only a foot long so we took it out. we put the mast back up to where it was
only a foot above the top of roof & now im getting md state police out of westminister md. so im
happy with the improvement this made. so im getting all md s.p. Baltimore city fire. and basically
all county f.d frequency and frequencys I wasn't getting before. so 1 again thanks ALL. also I would suggest when putting up a antenna use loc tite also

Status
Not open for further replies.