AZ File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
I have been thinking of starting a thread for AZ and scanner files or your programming files to see what works the best for you and maybe learn more from each other what the best practices are. I would like to see how others have programmed their scanners and see what I can improve on to help me scan better and catch more. If some could tell me how to upload those file then I can contribute to this.

KB7MIB

Since I don't have a computer, I program my GRE PSR-500 by hand.
I want to reprogram my main V-scanner, based on what my main interests are, versus how it has been programmed up until now.

Having a computer to do it would make it easier, however.

John
Peoria

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
The easiest way to upload is to take the file you want to share, ZIP it.

Then post the zip file with proper software program ID, telling us what type of file it is.

That should allow others download an view, assuming they have the correct program to view the file.

llicht

great idea. for myself I am having trouble with programming my new Uniden 436
I live int Scottsdale. Perhaps I could get together with someone and have a cup of coffee and they could give me some help

tipster67

I would have no problem sharing my files... I use only Radio Shack/GRE radio's and have no ideal how to translate for Uniden's use. I agree that file sharing is GREAT.. Maybe you find something to follow that you never thought of listening to before. Or you just missed it while doing a search.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I have several files for both Phx & Tucson for the BC15XT & the BCD996XT if you want then just drop me a note

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
What is a good way to distribute these files

What is a good way to distribute these files. I will set it up for all people in AZ. There will be no scanner platform excluded because I know we all use different scanners.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
This is why I thought of this.

I would have no problem sharing my files... I use only Radio Shack/GRE radio's and have no ideal how to translate for Uniden's use. I agree that file sharing is GREAT.. Maybe you find something to follow that you never thought of listening to before. Or you just missed it while doing a search.

This is why I thought of this. I want this to be more of community for at least AZ. I hope i get to learn more. Upload your GRE files for those who use GRE This may inspire me to get a GRE if my wife permits lol.

SCPD

QRT
I hope this link will work for everyone.. Again, it's for use with Win500. If anyone knows of a way I can convert this for the people with Uniden's, please let me know. Any problem downloading, please let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8S29VKqEJTTT3Q1Y1dYbEZUblk/view?usp=sharing

I will share my Southern Arizona file when I can figure out how to post it like you did. I'm not all that computer savvy.

I happened to notice a couple things in your file when I took a quick look at it. First, near the bottom of the conventional frequency list are 5 CBP air frequencies. They are all in the federal government's VHF High allocation (162-174 MHz) and as such are narrowband FM frequencies (NFM). You have programmed them as AM frequencies and any receptions made of them will be garbled. AM modulation is used in the VHF-AM aviation band (108-137 MHz) commonly referred to as "Victor" frequencies.

Air to ground and air to air frequencies in all the other bands; VHF (both Low and High), UHF and 700/800; use FM modulation. A good example of this is the air to ground and air to air tactical frequencies used for wildland fires, law enforcement and other types of federal agency operations. Almost all of these are in the fed's VHF High band and use FM modulation as ground resources communicate with aircraft on these frequencies Some Victor frequencies using AM modulation are employed, but it is rare for ground personnel to carry AM aviation band radios. State and local agencies operate in this way also.

Another observation is that you use FM modulation for nearly all of the conventional frequencies you have programmed. These should be programmed as narrow FM modulation. NFM filters the radio's reception of frequencies to a narrower signal. In the federal government narrowband was required in 2005 and everyone else beginning in 2013. The NFM setting prevents adjacent channel interference now that additional radio channels have been created.

Narrowband modulation is not as strong of a signal so the volume of anything received is lower. I need almost all the volume I can get the radio to put out when operating mobile, especially if I'm using my PSR-500 in addition to the 600s I have in each vehicle. I program each narrowband channel with audio boost to maintain the volume I need. I do so for each aviation AM frequency as well because AM has less of a signal strength than the old wideband FM signals. In California the CHP uses VHF Low and narrowbanding has not been required for that band. I program each CHP channel with FM rather than NFM and without audio boost. This equalizes the volume of the low band channels with the higher band channels. If I program the low band channels with audio boost I get blasted out when the scanner lands on them. If I don't utilize audio boost I have to adjust the volume for the low band channels resulting in weak volume for everything else.

I didn't see any low band frequencies in your file, but if you are using your scanner in a mobile setting or in a high noise environment applying the audio boost will help.

SCPD

QRT
I have been thinking of starting a thread for AZ and scanner files or your programming files to see what works the best for you and maybe learn more from each other what the best practices are. I would like to see how others have programmed their scanners and see what I can improve on to help me scan better and catch more. If some could tell me how to upload those file then I can contribute to this.

Over the years people have sent me their files when I need some help writing one for an area I don't normally visit. I've picked up a few tips by doing so. I think it's a great idea to have a central place for people to post their files. I think a spot to do so for an area larger than just one state would be good.

I didn't think your idea to be useful until I downloaded the file provided below and began to compare some of my settings to those of someone else's file. I also compared the frequencies and talkgroups of that file with my "Southern Arizona" file. I picked up a thing or to by doing so. I passed along some programming tips to the owner of that file that may be of use to him.

My opinion changed. I think a file sharing mechanism for all members would be very useful. At least more than half of RR members use Uniden products and in order to view those files Uniden software would have to be used. I know I'm not going to buy additional software just to read the files of the people who use Uniden radios, so some of the utility of file sharing would be compromised. I wish there was a way to boot up either no matter the software installed. This is comparable to Apple Computers that will boot up in Windows when an application is only written in Windows. Dream on, huh.

thomasbillman1

Feed Provider
Phoenix

Does anyone have a file that I can upload in Arc 500 of phoenix and surrounding areas? I have a pro197. Thanks

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
This is awesome I like this looks like I will have to see if my settings on my scanner are correct. Thank you for contribution to this thread.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
For the Uniden scanners I have found most of the software to be free and they can import the file to each other. I am still doing research on how we can do this effectively.

tipster67

I will share my Southern Arizona file when I can figure out how to post it like you did. I'm not all that computer savvy.

I happened to notice a couple things in your file when I took a quick look at it. First, near the bottom of the conventional frequency list are 5 CBP air frequencies. They are all in the federal government's VHF High allocation (162-174 MHz) and as such are narrowband FM frequencies (NFM). You have programmed them as AM frequencies and any receptions made of them will be garbled. AM modulation is used in the VHF-AM aviation band (108-137 MHz) commonly referred to as "Victor" frequencies.

Air to ground and air to air frequencies in all the other bands; VHF (both Low and High), UHF and 700/800; use FM modulation. A good example of this is the air to ground and air to air tactical frequencies used for wildland fires, law enforcement and other types of federal agency operations. Almost all of these are in the fed's VHF High band and use FM modulation as ground resources communicate with aircraft on these frequencies Some Victor frequencies using AM modulation are employed, but it is rare for ground personnel to carry AM aviation band radios. State and local agencies operate in this way also.

Another observation is that you use FM modulation for nearly all of the conventional frequencies you have programmed. These should be programmed as narrow FM modulation. NFM filters the radio's reception of frequencies to a narrower signal. In the federal government narrowband was required in 2005 and everyone else beginning in 2013. The NFM setting prevents adjacent channel interference now that additional radio channels have been created.

Narrowband modulation is not as strong of a signal so the volume of anything received is lower. I need almost all the volume I can get the radio to put out when operating mobile, especially if I'm using my PSR-500 in addition to the 600s I have in each vehicle. I program each narrowband channel with audio boost to maintain the volume I need. I do so for each aviation AM frequency as well because AM has less of a signal strength than the old wideband FM signals. In California the CHP uses VHF Low and narrowbanding has not been required for that band. I program each CHP channel with FM rather than NFM and without audio boost. This equalizes the volume of the low band channels with the higher band channels. If I program the low band channels with audio boost I get blasted out when the scanner lands on them. If I don't utilize audio boost I have to adjust the volume for the low band channels resulting in weak volume for everything else.

I didn't see any low band frequencies in your file, but if you are using your scanner in a mobile setting or in a high noise environment applying the audio boost will help.

I very much appreciated the comments. Your comments on the " 5 CBP air frequencies" was just a bad assumption on my part, I am guessing. Now as for the NFM vs FM mode, I have read so much on this subject and no two articles seem to match up. I see people all the time say just set it to FM and the audio will work out great. I have also read to set it to NFM and use the audio boost. Nothing has been very clear to me on the subject.. I will be going your direction..

ecps92

YMMV as to FM vs NFM

Altho 99% of Feds have gone NFM the audio quality from a Scanner perspective will vary from area to area. I have one Local FD who went Narrow and the audio is so low and quiet, yet the neighboring town who also went narrow (two different Techs - Same Radio Shop) and the audio is awesome. You just need to play with your settings to your liking.

As for AM vs FM 162-174 is always going to be FM or NFM

I very much appreciated the comments. Your comments on the " 5 CBP air frequencies" was just a bad assumption on my part, I am guessing. Now as for the NFM vs FM mode, I have read so much on this subject and no two articles seem to match up. I see people all the time say just set it to FM and the audio will work out great. I have also read to set it to NFM and use the audio boost. Nothing has been very clear to me on the subject.. I will be going your direction..

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
I think I might of found the Best solution for an all in one place for AZ scanner files and settings. People that want the username and password will have to PM me to get. I think I would want a person with a GRE scanner to curate the files a s I am not familiar with win 500 so if I can get an extra person to help that would be great. The service I am talking about is called mediafire. So tell me what you guys think.

AirScan1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
just wish there was more to tune in for
nothing wrong with gre psr scanners.
there just has to be more scan than what is issued ,

Status
Not open for further replies.