• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BF-888s software

Status
Not open for further replies.

davmax

The BF-888s ham transceiver is great value and can be programmed easily with the correct cable and software. I have found that the software downloaded from Miklor.com does not work correctly. When data is transferred from the BF-888s it is incorrectly identified with Model info reading VHF 245 -246 Mhz even though the displayed set frequencies are in the 460 Mhz band. When entering a new 400Mhz + frequency and hitting ENTER the frequency entry is shifted to one in the VHF band!!!!. So I uninstalled the app that was installed by BF888s_v1.05.exe. Then used the BF480 software (bf480.exe) and had no problems re-programming.

Some owners complain that the BF-888s will not go into programming mode. These are the correct steps
1. Install the programming cable USB driver (use the correct version for the computer OS). Run the driver software supplied and when finished plug in the USB programming cable and allow the driver install to complete and assign a COM port typically COM 4
2. Run bf480.exe, in setup select the correct COM port.
3. With the BF-888s switched OFF plug the programming cable firmly all the way into the body. USB end still plugged in. If the cable is not fully inserted the BF programming mode will not be achieved.
4. Switch ON the BF-888s and it will be in programming mode. The programming cable must always be connected before switching the BF ON.
5. In the BF-480 software select to READ from transceiver. Then clicking OK to read.
6. The original setup can then be saved to a file before re-programming. Once re-programmed the settings can be saved into a new file that can be used for cloning.
7. The new frequencies can then be loaded into the transceiver by selecting WRITE and then OK to write.

Check that the frequencies have been loaded by processing a new READ from the transceiver.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
The BF-888s ham transceiver is great value and can be programmed easily with the correct cable and software. I have found that the software downloaded from Miklor.com does not work correctly. When data is transferred from the BF-888s it is incorrectly identified with Model info reading VHF 245 -246 Mhz even though the displayed set frequencies are in the 460 Mhz band. When entering a new 400Mhz + frequency and hitting ENTER the frequency entry is shifted to one in the VHF band!!!!. So I uninstalled the app that was installed by BF888s_v1.05.exe. Then used the BF480 software (bf480.exe) and had no problems re-programming.

Some owners complain that the BF-888s will not go into programming mode. These are the correct steps
1. Install the programming cable USB driver (use the correct version for the computer OS). Run the driver software supplied and when finished plug in the USB programming cable and allow the driver install to complete and assign a COM port typically COM 4
2. Run bf480.exe, in setup select the correct COM port.
3. With the BF-888s switched OFF plug the programming cable firmly all the way into the body. USB end still plugged in. If the cable is not fully inserted the BF programming mode will not be achieved.
4. Switch ON the BF-888s and it will be in programming mode. The programming cable must always be connected before switching the BF ON.
5. In the BF-480 software select to READ from transceiver. Then clicking OK to read.
6. The original setup can then be saved to a file before re-programming. Once re-programmed the settings can be saved into a new file that can be used for cloning.
7. The new frequencies can then be loaded into the transceiver by selecting WRITE and then OK to write.

Check that the frequencies have been loaded by processing a new READ from the transceiver.

I would use CHIRP instead of the OEM software. Or at least the newer OEM software for the BF-888s instead of the BF-480 software.

Jim KC9HI

Jim KC9HI

davmax

Hi KC9HI, Would love to use more recent software. Miklor seemed to have the latest for BF-888s and it had problems as described. I believe CHIRP needs to be a particular version, is that correct?
Until something better is found to work the BF-480 version is still easy and effective. Thanks for the input.

I will have a closer look at CHIRP.

davmax

Have taken a look at CHIRP. Certainly it has great diversity but for the BF-888s it is overly complex, many features not used and can be confusing for any body other than an enthusiast. The BF-480 software is simplicity and sufficient. For the simple BF-888s it is just the ticket. Thanks again for your input.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
make sure to use the latest nightly build on chirp. the BC888 programs very easity, quickly, and efficiently with chirp. as do all my other models.

davmax

awasser1. With two recommendations I just had to try CHIRP fully. I agree that it is easy to use with the BF888s however I could not find any ability to change a number of functions as can be seen in the attachment. Just maybe the BF software is more specific.

Attachments

• BF-888 functions.JPG
    BF-888 functions.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 11,286

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
awasser1. With two recommendations I just had to try CHIRP fully. I agree that it is easy to use with the BF888s however I could not find any ability to change a number of functions as can be seen in the attachment. Just maybe the BF software is more specific.

davmax,

Please explain which functions you are not able to change? As far as I know, CHIRP programs all functions that the radio is capable of and is not "broken" like the OEM software (see "Mic Sensitivity" = "English" in your attachment).

Jim KC9HI

Attachments

• BF-888s.jpg
    BF-888s.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 11,167

davmax

That is great Jim. Thanks I missed the Settings tab that has more correct English eg the BF software Mic Sensitivity should read Voice Language as in CHIRP. Thanks for you help.

psychojoe151

Soteware BF - 888S - Figured out how to open it !

Hello All,

Though this thread is old, I wanted to extend what I found and hopefully can help others with the same problem (Hopefully).

I ordered my Bf-888s Radios on amazon, The CD it came with didn't have the Software for my Model Number (big surprise). I look online and find the program ( BF888 BF888S Software - Miklor ) WOOO!.
After downloading the program (thinking it was that easy)...I click to install it and!!....it didnt want to open! I followed the instructions on the web site step by step to the point of frustration! So what now...

What else can it be!... I tried this as a long shot..[ right click> open as administrator ] ....Eureka! it opened! and installed!
So I am guessing that the program will not prompt you to run as admin but runs under admin privileges.

NOTE** I am using a system with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Hope this helps someone facing the same problem .
If not...sorry I tried =p

psychojoe151

CHIRP would work if it was a solo work station but I need these radios to feed of a current frequency that's being used - long story short , our department works as a 3rd party vendor and the radios will help to communicate with the other in house departments .

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Unless I missed something, none of those people who had programming difficulties with the 888 indicated they had any kind of license. The radios are not FCC-acceptable for FRS because the antennae are removable and they're programmable.

Aero125

CHIRP works great, no need to make programming a 16 channel $10 radio more complicated than needed. Having a proper FTDI cable and making sure it is seated properly into the radio is important as the quality control on the casing is poor and often the cable needs help being seated.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
CHIRP would work if it was a solo work station but I need these radios to feed of a current frequency that's being used - long story short , our department works as a 3rd party vendor and the radios will help to communicate with the other in house departments .

That makes no sense. CHIRP is free software, and much more capable and easier to use than the often malware-infested factory crapware. There's no rational reason not to use it.

docdepulmones

Hello All,

Though this thread is old, I wanted to extend what I found and hopefully can help others with the same problem (Hopefully).

I ordered my Bf-888s Radios on amazon, The CD it came with didn't have the Software for my Model Number (big surprise). I look online and find the program ( BF888 BF888S Software - Miklor ) WOOO!.
After downloading the program (thinking it was that easy)...I click to install it and!!....it didnt want to open! I followed the instructions on the web site step by step to the point of frustration! So what now...

What else can it be!... I tried this as a long shot..[ right click> open as administrator ] ....Eureka! it opened! and installed!
So I am guessing that the program will not prompt you to run as admin but runs under admin privileges.

NOTE** I am using a system with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Hope this helps someone facing the same problem .
If not...sorry I tried =p

Where can i find this “right click>open as administrator”?

rbarker

Robert
I have a Baofeng 888s and a few questions. I have enabled scan and put it on Ch16. I see the green light blinking (more like flickering) and it doesn't do that on other channels. Does that mean it's scanning? It does seem to be scanning but i have no idea how fast it scans. Does that mean I cannot program any freq into line 16? and that I have to keep the FM radio disabled?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a Baofeng 888s and a few questions. I have enabled scan and put it on Ch16. I see the green light blinking (more like flickering) and it doesn't do that on other channels. Does that mean it's scanning? It does seem to be scanning but i have no idea how fast it scans. Does that mean I cannot program any freq into line 16? and that I have to keep the FM radio disabled?

It sounds like something is programmed in to channel 16 and it's picking up fragments of someone's signal or some interference. It will only scan what's programmed into the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.