VIA Rail frequencies inactive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapper1

I have been scanning for only a couple of months with very entry level scanner (Uniden Bearcat BC 144XL)
Almost daily since I started, I was receiving Via Rail 451.725 (Red Cap/Porters Union Station),160.200
( Inter-Car, Inter-Train) and 161.415 (Road Channel End to End)
However, I have not received any activity on these 3 frequencies for 2 weeks now and do not know why so
is there an explanation for this? Thank You!

ATCTech

I'm hearing voice traffic on 161.415 right now from the Milton area.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I believe the database was recently updated to show 451.725 and 160.200 are nxdn.

ATCTech

Just caught some brief analog voice traffic on 160.200 as well.

mciupa

I believe the database was recently updated to show 451.725 and 160.200 are nxdn.

I've only noticed 160.77 as NXDN for VIA. Those other two are still analog as far as I know.
I have noticed CN using NXDN up at Mac Yard.

I've been trying to catch some CP NXDN activity on 161.01, but nothing yet.

mciupa

Your scanner will stop on the frequencies, but anything that is NXDN will come through as a muffled warbling sound on your scanner.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Still puzzled why scanning no longer stops on the those Via frequencies which are not nxdn.

How close to a VIA station are you? I haven't done much rail scanning lately. I live close enough to the Aldershot station and can see the trains from our apartment. The only time I hear the VIA frequencies are when a train is close to the Aldershot GO/VIA station.

Are you close to Oakville? Guildwood? Union or Aldershot or another VIA station?

zapper1

I am in east end and can see CN Tower, face west about 10 kil northeast of Union.
I have always heard dialogue between staff about boarding or assistance needed for passengers on
451.725, I forget what I've heard on 160.200 (not much).
On 161.415 have heard time and 'no alarms' message and train staff nearing Kingston inquiring about track restrictions and being advised " any track-no restrictions". Also have heard infrequent messages on
161.205 dispatcher. I am new to all this but baffled that after several weeks of activity-now nothing.

ATCTech

Zapper, if you can take your radio with you it might be wise to try another location for a little bit. I just turned on two receivers here and both 160.2 and 161.415 are currently active, including a hotbox announcement. You may be suffering from some very localized off-channel interference that didn't used to be in your immediate vicinity.

Quick update - both frequencies are very busy this morning, hearing analog voice traffic from the Georgetown, Oakville and Stouffville lines.

Last edited:

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
161.415 is CN's mainline frequency. Every train at some point is on that channel, as well as the hotbox detectors, so if you're not hearing anything, you likely have some new interference in your area.

zapper1

Two replies suggest I may have a new interference in my area so I will wait it out hoping for a return of
the Via rail activity. Nothing has changed within my own listening environment and I may never know what
outside sources are causing this. Other than Via, several other frequencies still come in very well.Thanks!

ATCTech

Zapper1 you haven't mentioned your surroundings - are you in an apartment, a detached house or something else? Nor have you told us what type of antenna you're using and where it is, in the great outdoors, at ground level, up high or simply near a window but inside. When you say nothing has changed that may be true in your room, house or apartment unit but that doesn't mean your neighbor doesn't have a new device; light dimmer, new router, TV set, monitor or a new computer. They all radiate RF energy to some degree as virtually all of them use very cheap, noisy power supplies. As I suggested yesterday if you can take the radio even a few hundred feet away from where it and/or the antenna are now you might be surprised what changes. Waiting it out is probably going to be a frustrating, fruitless effort. The more details you provide us here the more we can help.

zapper1

Thanks. I am on top floor of 4 floor condo east end of Toronto facing west . I replaced the short whip
antenna two weeks ago with a better one supplied( and appreciated) by another member of this forum. It is 24 inches in length and is located
6 inches away from window inside and 2 feet from scanner. It is affixed to a bracket so not easily removed .I will take scanner to another area about 100 feet away still indoors and try it with the supplied whip for a day or so and report my findings.

Other frequencies I receive:
TTC - 3 freq.- excellent copy and active
Toronto Eaton Center- noisy but decent active copy
CN Tower ( hams) -good copy but not too active
VE3 MIS- good copy but not too active
Unidentified property management-2 freq.noisy and not too active

I have given numerous other freq, from RR a trial but not successful and not many Toronto area ones left to try.
Taxis are very good but not interesting to me.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I am on top floor of 4 floor condo east end of Toronto facing west . I replaced the short whip
antenna two weeks ago with a better one supplied( and appreciated) by another member of this forum. It is 24 inches in length and is located
6 inches away from window inside and 2 feet from scanner. It is affixed to a bracket so not easily removed .I will take scanner to another area about 100 feet away still indoors and try it with the supplied whip for a day or so and report my findings.

Other frequencies I receive:
TTC - 3 freq.- excellent copy and active
Toronto Eaton Center- noisy but decent active copy
CN Tower ( hams) -good copy but not too active
VE3 MIS- good copy but not too active
Unidentified property management-2 freq.noisy and not too active

I have given numerous other freq, from RR a trial but not successful and not many Toronto area ones left to try.
Taxis are very good but not interesting to me.

Why don't you try the following:
149.440, MOH Pagers, For EMS providers outside the 416, you might be able to pick up York (Georgian) or Durham (Oshawa) EMS pages to calls.

150.100-This is a MOH frequency used these days for the various MOH communications centres to Ornge Heli's. You should be able to listen to a communications centre like Mississauga, Hamilton or Niagara (if you are close to the lake without a wall of buildings) talking to Ornge when they are being dispatched to calls. If a Ornge heli is in your area you might be able to hear them as well. They also communicate on 413.6875.

Check out the TIA-Pearson Air frequencies, I am not sure if you are close enough to listen to the ATC's but you should be able to listen to the pilots.

Check out the OPP repeaters, OPP squad cars have repeaters, and if you are within a few Km's of them you will be able to listen to analog audio traffic. Since you are in Toronto this is a bit of a long shot but if there is for instance a OPP cruiser on the 427 or around the 401/404/DVP there is a chance that you are high enough for your scanner to hear one of these repeaters.

And finally, punch in the following frequencies for a 'one-and-done' signal strength search: 142.905, 141.420, 142.380 and 143.145. They are the control channels for the following towers that the OPP/MOH/MTO/MNR use, 142.905 is located in downtown Toronto, I can hear this tower out as far as Niagara Falls, 141.420 is located in Mississauga but it doesnt seem to have much coverage towards the east, 142.380 is in King City and the final frequency is in Whitby. You wont hear anything of interest on these frequencies, all you will hear is a grinding constant sound but it will give you a good idea of how your antenna is.

Finally if you are close to the lake you might be able to listen to some of the conventional frequencies in Niagara County and maybe Monroe, I can monitor Niagara Co activity in Aldershot.

zapper1

Thanks. I can't get airport freq. on this simple scanner but I do get TIA on a shortwave radio which has airband. Tried OPP - only 1 transmission in a week . I will try others you mentioned.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I can't get airport freq. on this simple scanner but I do get TIA on a shortwave radio which has airband. Tried OPP - only 1 transmission in a week . I will try others you mentioned.

Good luck.

Scanning has changed radically since I got my first scanner in 1983 but it still is a great hobby. The Toronto Public Safety system P25 is new and no one is sure (or won't tell) if the police are going to use encryption or Phase 2 technology. Even with pretty much every other area around here having police use encryption (Save Waterloo region for now) there is a great deal to monitor as long as you have a more modern scanner.

When you are ready you can get support and ideas on what to buy should you move forward and there are buyers and sellers here as well.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Your scanner will stop on the frequencies, but anything that is NXDN will come through as a muffled warbling sound on your scanner.

Mike: I like your quote in your signature, lol, I figured you as more of a Q107 rocker type more than Jay-Z. But the song has heavy geetars and Rick Rubin discovered/produced and recorded everyone from Slayer to the Beastie Boys, the Cult and JayZ

zapper1

Good luck.

Scanning has changed radically since I got my first scanner in 1983 but it still is a great hobby. The Toronto Public Safety system P25 is new and no one is sure (or won't tell) if the police are going to use encryption or Phase 2 technology. Even with pretty much every other area around here having police use encryption (Save Waterloo region for now) there is a great deal to monitor as long as you have a more modern scanner.
When you are ready you can get support and ideas on what to buy should you move forward and there are buyers and sellers here as well.

Shortwave listening has changed also ( fewer broadcasters) .But I can get TIA on the air band and hams throughout the US on the 41m band.. I hesitate throwing more $$$ at newer scanners considering my limited antenna placement limitations. As it is.TTC and Eaton Center, in particular, give me a lot of listenable activity.
BTW, the long wire for my SW radios is taped to the same window where the scanner antenna is near but
I don't think they interfere with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.