Newbie help? Wanting to listen to London Fire dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

can00k

Hi all,

As a kid I convinced my parents to get me a police scanner for my birthday, and the other day I found the old Realistic Pro-50 sitting around. She still works, but obviously doesn't pick up any modern public safety channels.

I'd like to get back into listening to a scanner, but I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the terminology and hardware that is available now. My main interest is listening to the London Fire talkgroups.

What's the cheapest and/or most recommended scanner available that would allow me to listen to London Fire? I found a document last night "How to Make a $19 Police Scanner" at https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/ - would that work for what I'm aiming for? I don't mind spending a little money, but just starting out I'm trying to avoid paying $500 for something like a HomePatrol-1.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

mciupa

A used BCD 396XT or something with digital trunking is what you should be looking at. Unfortunately, you are probably looking at ~ $300.

The $19 option would work with you parked on one voice channel and picking up bits of the conversation.
Then, another user would show up unrelated to what you are listening to. You'd have to tune the next frequency and by the time you do that they could move along again.

A digital scanner is a logical choice.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You can go with a couple of sdr dongles and a computer but get ready for some tinkering. I have several sdr's and scanners and the scanners are obviously easier to get set up. However if you enjoy messing with electronics the dongles are fun. I just glanced on eBay and there are several radio shack pro 197's for less than 300 "buy it now". I paid 225 for mine a few years ago and loved it. You can really spend as much our as little money as you want but the setup time and scanning quality may differ. Also confirm your area isn't p25 phase 2 or encrypted before you get too far into shopping. Phase 2 scanners just cost more but there's nothing consumer based for scanning encrypted traffic.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
And touching further on the dongle thing, you can get two of them and use unitrunker and dsd and it will scan just like a digital scanner. You can lockout talkgroups just like a scanner. Naturally as stated above if you only had one locked on a voice channel you will hear one sided conversations and things that aren't on the same talkgroup. But with two dongles it's just like a scanner (after some setup).

can00k

I actually found a HomePatrol-1 on eBay yesterday for around $350, so I jumped on it. Seems simple enough to use for a newbie. Sounds like it would a whole lot easier than trying the dongle, anyway.

From what I've read on RadioReference, London Ontario Fire doesn't use P25 Phase 2 so I think I should be good. Thanks for your input!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That's a good deal for sure. That's without a doubt easier than setting up dongles.

can00k

So I recevied my HomePatrol yesterday and have spent today using Senintel to create favorites lists, but I find I'm hardly hearing anything. I've downloaded the database and firmware updates.

I'm able to hear OPP and MOH when I select those lists, but I've heard very little London Fire traffic except for a couple of trucks this morning, but not dispatch. I created a Favorites list that includes London Public Safety frequencies and I've avoided London Police since they're encrypted, but tonight I'm hearing nothing from London Fire. Is there something I'm missing?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
How is your signal? I know their P25 system gets somewhat washed out by other junk depending on where you are in the city and what sort of antenna you are using. Try using the Attenuator function and see if that helps at all. LFD does their weekly radio test every Sunday morning around 8:30 and it lasts a good 20 minutes, so that might be a good time to tinker.

can00k

I think I've figured it out, I don't think I had set up my favorites list up properly.

I am still having a few issues only hearing one side of a conversation, but I think that could be due to my delay settings. If I'm listening to a call on TAC 1, for example, is the delay preventing me from hearing both sides? I guess what I'm asking is do different sides of a conversation on TAC 1 use two different frequencies?

I'm currently using the stock antenna that came with the unit, but do you think I'd get noticeably better reception using something like the Diamond SRH-77CA?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well they are on a trunked system so the frequencies are changing usually with every PTT. Delay settings shouldn't affect you as you are holding on the talkgroup, not an individual frequency.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I was going to say try using the full database and just hold on Lines 1/2London Fire System/Group (while still scanning the 3rd line) and then see what you hear.

I think I've figured it out, I don't think I had set up my favorites list up properly.

I am still having a few issues only hearing one side of a conversation, but I think that could be due to my delay settings. If I'm listening to a call on TAC 1, for example, is the delay preventing me from hearing both sides? I guess what I'm asking is do different sides of a conversation on TAC 1 use two different frequencies?

I'm currently using the stock antenna that came with the unit, but do you think I'd get noticeably better reception using something like the Diamond SRH-77CA?

can00k

Thanks all for your advice. I think I've got it working the way I want now.

Any thoughts on getting that Diamond antenna? Would I see any noticeable difference in reception compared to the stock antenna?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

I don't think that the Diamond antenna would work well with your HP. The antenna you speak of is not flexible, it will not bend, the home patrol really either needs an antenna that bends or you can buy a Yagi or one you can mount and run coax to it. This antenna is fine for a handheld scanner thou, I have had a few of these over the past 15 years or so, just not compatible with a Home Patrol.

But for sure, the antenna that comes with the Home Patrol isn't all that bad with your scanner but something that is designed for whatever frequency you want would be better.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I actually found a HomePatrol-1 on eBay yesterday for around $350, so I jumped on it. Seems simple enough to use for a newbie. Sounds like it would a whole lot easier than trying the dongle, anyway.

From what I've read on RadioReference, London Ontario Fire doesn't use P25 Phase 2 so I think I should be good. Thanks for your input!

I think you are going to love your scanner. In many ways I miss giving this scanner up as it was so easy to program and set up favourite lists. It was also great at catching the RID's while on a trunk radio system. Even more impressive was that you could tag this RID with more 'characters than the 396XT and a PSR800.

You got it at a good price.

I still have a good many files for the Sentinel but nothing for the London Fire Service

moonbounce

Hi all,

As a kid I convinced my parents to get me a police scanner for my birthday, and the other day I found the old Realistic Pro-50 sitting around. She still works, but obviously doesn't pick up any modern public safety channels.

I'd like to get back into listening to a scanner, but I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the terminology and hardware that is available now. My main interest is listening to the London Fire talkgroups.

What's the cheapest and/or most recommended scanner available that would allow me to listen to London Fire? I found a document last night "How to Make a $19 Police Scanner" at https://sites.google.com/site/policescannerhowto/ - would that work for what I'm aiming for? I don't mind spending a little money, but just starting out I'm trying to avoid paying $500 for something like a HomePatrol-1.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

If you are in the London area it shouldn't take much of an antenna to pickup LFD, I would think a 4" high antenna would do the trick.

Jasonmce2015

TACs for middlesex county EMS

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but would the person who has the EMS feed be able to add in the TACs for them when their talking to ER on route? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.