STARS VDOT TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Does every VDOT Division have a TOC TG on STARS? I recently noticed VDOT Division 7 has one and here in VSP D5 I've been hearing them reference the TOC more than usual?

W4UVV

VDOT Transportation Operations Centers (TOC)

VDOT has five contractor operated TOCs. They are located in:

District 9 (Chantilly) Northern VA
District 4 (Richmond)
District 5 (Suffolk) Hampton Roads
District 8 (Staunton)
District 2 (Salem)

Salem District 2 TOC additionally controls talkgroup 5280 TAC 2 (Interstate 81 Motorists Assistance) from MP 1 at Bristol to approximately MP 175 in Rockbridge Co. From approximately MP 175 in Rockbridge Co. to the Maryland state line Staunton District 8 TOC controls talkgroup 5280.

Here is some general info:

Transportation Operations Centers

John
W4UVV

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
So I know you have a high range antenna, have you come across any other VDOT TOC tg's besides the two in the database?

W4UVV

VDOT STARS Monitoring

So I know you have a high range antenna, have you come across any other VDOT TOC tg's besides the two in the database?

Yes, but that is because I am able to monitor a couple of distant STARS sites mainly Leigh Mtn in Diviison 3 and Fork Mtn. Infrequently, I have heard a few SW VA VDOT talkgroups including Bristol District 1 via Salem North from Leigh Mtn. I hear an occasional out of area VDOT TOC comm from Fork Mtn.and Thornburg such as last week when apparently a wreck occurred on Rt. 7 in Loudoun Co. The VDOT vehicle on scene was giving updates of the cleanup process to the Chantilly TOC. Like everyone else I hear temporary comms resulting from out of area STARS vehicles which have affiliated with one or more of the VSP Division 1 and/or 5 STARS sites.

Mysteries remain. For many months tg 5280 from the Salem TOC was affiliated with one or more Division 1 and other STARS sites. But I never heard the Staunton.TOC for tg 5280. The key word is "affiliated".

Complicating monitoring distant STARS sites, in my opinion, is the STARS techs reuse of the same frequency for one or more STARS primary control channels (PCC). There are a significant number of 161 mhz. unused frequencies available for PCC use but none were used. For example, 152.8025 mhz.is the PCC for Division 1 STARS site Rumford and Division 7's Mount Weather and Fairfax STARS sites. Again, other 161 mhz. unused frequencies were available but not used. In Division 6 White Oak Mtn., North Mtn. and Apple Orchard STARS sites all use 161 mhz. frequencies for PCC control channels mixed with 150 mhz. frequencies which work fine. I wish these PCCs would be reassigned 161 mhz. frequencies.

Another example is 152.7125 mhz. which is the PCC for the Fork Mtn. STARS site. When the Waverly STARS site was activated 152.7125 mhz. again was used for the PCC.. An unused 161 mhz. frequency could have been used mixed with 150 mhz. or another 161 mhz. frequency(s) but wasn't. Now for me to receive Fork Mtn. I had to program and scan the site's voice repeaters as conventional. 152.7125 mhz. also was used as the PCC for the Div 7 Dumfries Scales STARS site. Again, an unused 161 mhz. frequency for Waverly could have been used but wasn't
I noticed this problem again a few weeks ago when testing my new 536 which is more RF input sensitive than my 996XTs. I hoped to receive one or more distant STARS sites. First, I scanned only Div 7 STARS sites and immediately had good PCC locks for Dumfries Scales and Mount Weather. I knew something definitely was wrong. Checking my Division Frequency/Sites Chart I realized it was the same PCC frequency reuse problem again. The 546 actually was locked on the Waverly STARS Div 5 and the Rumford STARS Div 1 sites PCC's respectively.

It is a very frustrating monitoring situation but it is what it is and you have to deal with it.

John
W4UVV

trumpetman

Database Admin
There are many things to consider with the frequency reuse in a large statewide radio system. Frequency plans, licensing, regional plans, adjacent channel interference, co-channel interference, and in your specific case reusing control channels. Most radios have a limit on the number of control channels that can be programmed so they HAVE to be reused otherwise you're stuck waiting several minutes for a full spectrum control channel scan. Trunked sites can have different NACs in use in certain cases to mask potential interference as well, which is a luxury that scanners do not have. Also I'm sure that STARS wasn't designed with massive fixed antennas in mind and more for mobile vehicle operations. Just some things to consider.

jim202

Yes, but that is because I am able to monitor a couple of distant STARS sites mainly Leigh Mtn in Diviison 3 and Fork Mtn. Infrequently, I have heard a few SW VA VDOT talkgroups including Bristol District 1 via Salem North from Leigh Mtn. I hear an occasional out of area VDOT TOC comm from Fork Mtn.and Thornburg such as last week when apparently a wreck occurred on Rt. 7 in Loudoun Co. The VDOT vehicle on scene was giving updates of the cleanup process to the Chantilly TOC. Like everyone else I hear temporary comms resulting from out of area STARS vehicles which have affiliated with one or more of the VSP Division 1 and/or 5 STARS sites.

Mysteries remain. For many months tg 5280 from the Salem TOC was affiliated with one or more Division 1 and other STARS sites. But I never heard the Staunton.TOC for tg 5280. The key word is "affiliated".

Complicating monitoring distant STARS sites, in my opinion, is the STARS techs reuse of the same frequency for one or more STARS primary control channels (PCC). There are a significant number of 161 mhz. unused frequencies available for PCC use but none were used. For example, 152.8025 mhz.is the PCC for Division 1 STARS site Rumford and Division 7's Mount Weather and Fairfax STARS sites. Again, other 161 mhz. unused frequencies were available but not used. In Division 6 White Oak Mtn., North Mtn. and Apple Orchard STARS sites all use 161 mhz. frequencies for PCC control channels mixed with 150 mhz. frequencies which work fine. I wish these PCCs would be reassigned 161 mhz. frequencies.

Another example is 152.7125 mhz. which is the PCC for the Fork Mtn. STARS site. When the Waverly STARS site was activated 152.7125 mhz. again was used for the PCC.. An unused 161 mhz. frequency could have been used mixed with 150 mhz. or another 161 mhz. frequency(s) but wasn't. Now for me to receive Fork Mtn. I had to program and scan the site's voice repeaters as conventional. 152.7125 mhz. also was used as the PCC for the Div 7 Dumfries Scales STARS site. Again, an unused 161 mhz. frequency for Waverly could have been used but wasn't
I noticed this problem again a few weeks ago when testing my new 536 which is more RF input sensitive than my 996XTs. I hoped to receive one or more distant STARS sites. First, I scanned only Div 7 STARS sites and immediately had good PCC locks for Dumfries Scales and Mount Weather. I knew something definitely was wrong. Checking my Division Frequency/Sites Chart I realized it was the same PCC frequency reuse problem again. The 546 actually was locked on the Waverly STARS Div 5 and the Rumford STARS Div 1 sites PCC's respectively.

It is a very frustrating monitoring situation but it is what it is and you have to deal with it.

John
W4UVV

Have you ever thought about the issue of just how many sites that VSP has for this system? There is a finite number of control channels that can be entered into the radios to be able to go any place in the state and have the radio find the system. This may be the reason that control channels are re-used so often. You have to understand the functionality of the entire system, not just a few of the sites.

W4UVV

PCC reuse

Have you ever thought about the issue of just how many sites that VSP has for this system? There is a finite number of control channels that can be entered into the radios to be able to go any place in the state and have the radio find the system. This may be the reason that control channels are re-used so often. You have to understand the functionality of the entire system, not just a few of the sites.

Jim,

I am well aware of the number of STARS sites statewide. I have no interest in debating the issue. I believe my comments have some validity. Others may disagree which is fine.

John
W4UVV

W4UVV

PCC Considerations

There are many things to consider with the frequency reuse in a large statewide radio system. Frequency plans, licensing, regional plans, adjacent channel interference, co-channel interference, and in your specific case reusing control channels. Most radios have a limit on the number of control channels that can be programmed so they HAVE to be reused otherwise you're stuck waiting several minutes for a full spectrum control channel scan. Trunked sites can have different NACs in use in certain cases to mask potential interference as well, which is a luxury that scanners do not have. Also I'm sure that STARS wasn't designed with massive fixed antennas in mind and more for mobile vehicle operations. Just some things to consider.

I agree. But sometimes there is more than one acceptable frequency configuration solution for such situations. I believe some of my comments have validity and I don't have any interest in debating the issue. Others may disagree and that's ok.

John
W4UVV

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I too have experienced that distant site, same frequency many times. With the Hampton, Elliot Knob,Cumberland sites. But digging through the forums , I found the old STARS TG discussion forum. One very interesting channel I found tg 83, VSP Aviation 1, didn't find any on VDOT. Guess I'll just have to log with Pro96 com.

Status
Not open for further replies.