What is the 800mhz or better antenna for the 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

Any certain one your looking for?
All I see on ebay are BNC connectors. According to the wiki the scanner came with an SMA to BNC adapter. Do you still have it?

jfhtm350

That antenna has the BNC connector. Part #20-283.

If you dont have the adapter then you wont be able to use it. I thought they had the SMA version of it, but I cant find it.

If you want to really be cheap the find you a copper wire the same size as the hole, cut it to length, and poke it in the hole. You may have to tape it up or something to secure it.
Antenna Length Calculator

DickH

That antenna has the BNC connector. Part #20-283.

If you dont have the adapter then you wont be able to use it. I thought they had the SMA version of it, but I cant find it.

If you want to really be cheap the find you a copper wire the same size as the hole, cut it to length, and poke it in the hole. You may have to tape it up or something to secure it.
Antenna Length Calculator

That's the renowned Rube Goldberg antenna. :)

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Looking for the 800mhz rs job by on the link posted above..... I have seen them on here before

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'll find a cheaper one even if it used. These RS-800 antennas are well known by many RRDB members to be excellent antennas given their cost. They are probably the most inexpensive option one can add to a scanner to get decent 800 Mhz coverage.
However, with the slow (or not so slow) demise of RS stores, it might not be a bad idea to stock up on a few of these antennas. I own 5 or 6 but if I see one at a RS, I usually buy it.
Steve AA6IO

baayers

I don't think you'll find a cheaper one even if it used. These RS-800 antennas are well known by many RRDB members to be excellent antennas given their cost. They are probably the most inexpensive option one can add to a scanner to get decent 800 Mhz coverage.
However, with the slow (or not so slow) demise of RS stores, it might not be a bad idea to stock up on a few of these antennas. I own 5 or 6 but if I see one at a RS, I usually buy it.
Steve AA6IO

I snagged one at a closing store for $12.00. Was also able to grab a center loaded one for $7.00. Both were well worth it.

marksmith

I just picked up 2 more at a 50% off closing store for $12 a piece. Best addition you can make to a radio for 700-800mz scanning. They only come in BNC so I picked up a couple half price adaptors too.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

mike619

I use a radioshack 800 MHZ antenna on mine and I use the adapter that it came with since the BCD396XT is SMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.