Scanner Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

alconbury

I own a Uniden BC346XTC and am having trouble receiving ANY frequencies other than the weather service. Can anybody tell me the maximum range of this unit not using any external antennae. Thanks Ed

phask

Premium Subscriber
I own a Uniden BC346XTC and am having trouble receiving ANY frequencies other than the weather service. Can anybody tell me the maximum range of this unit not using any external antennae. Thanks Ed

At least 200 statute miles - easily monitor Space Station.

In all seriousness - question is impossible to answer.

Terrain, frequency, antenna,transmitting station.

Need to know where you are and what you trying to hear for a start.

teufler

figure about 10 miles with the rubber duck. More range if you are higher, like on a mtrip, or the 2nd or 3rd floor of a house. Other variables will be the placement, close to a window rather away from a window. Also maybe your area has gone to p25 digital so analog is vacant now. Rubber ducks are a convenient item, external antennas help dramatically.

cookandcamera

Unsure if the 346 has a Global Attenuator setting, but if so make sure that it is OFF. I ran into that with my 396, and could not hear down the street.

alconbury

I live in Southington using a rubber duck. I put in Southington ,Wallingford, Cheshire, Middletown, Troop H and Bradley Field. Problem the radio is silent all the time can not receive anything. All the frequencies I put in are either FM, FMN, or AM. We can not have external antennae's here so if I can not receive anything might just as well put it back in the box and leave it there. Ed

jim202

I live in Southington using a rubber duck. I put in Southington ,Wallingford, Cheshire, Middletown, Troop H and Bradley Field. Problem the radio is silent all the time can not receive anything. All the frequencies I put in are either FM, FMN, or AM. We can not have external antennae's here so if I can not receive anything might just as well put it back in the box and leave it there. Ed

My guess is that your in CT. Would be nice if you added your location in your profile. That way others on the group can help you that may know the region your in. Otherwise, your rolling the dice for an answer.

teufler

there are better inside antennas than the stock rubber duck. Austin Condor is a good one, there are some antennas that stick on glass, hang from an inside window. A tv set of rabbit years can improve things abit. If you are on a upper floor, moving to a window thats facing the area you want to monitor will improve your reception. You might check your squelch setting. Black rubber button on the left, top portion, then prtess the black knob on the radio. You will see your squelch setting. usually a 2 works, but try a 1 and see if you can live with that setting. power down to save, then power up again. Or you can press the black button onm the side top portion, then the black knob on top and you see your digfital setting, that if you hold on a digital signal fort awhile the radio is suposed to adjust itself for better reception.

w1haf

Well if the systems are digital or P25 you need to set the type of system and trunking. If you just entered frequencies as FM you won't hear them.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Well if the systems are digital or P25 you need to set the type of system and trunking. If you just entered frequencies as FM you won't hear them.

He has a 346, it does not do digital.

Op, move by a window to improve reception. Or go into town to see if it works. Good luck.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
The first question anyone should be asking you is how did you program your scanner? Did you manually put the frequencies in through the key pad or did you use a programing software on your computer and then upload it to the scanner?

If you used a software program, then its a little easier to check what you uploaded into your scanner and compare it to the information in the d-base here.

I updated a few things because I just realized your scanner is not able to pick up p25 digital transmissions

More than likely if you are not receiving anything but WX, you probably either:
A - put in the wrong frequencies

B - put in the wrong PL / DPL

C - didn't select the correct modulation (FM, NFM or AM) or it may have defaulted to something else in
the scanner

D - your squelch is turned up all the way

E - your ATT (attenuator) setting for the frequency is on / set high

F - any combination from above.

Best thing to do is wipe the scanner clean and re-load everything in. Get yourself a good scanner software program as well. Sometimes the ones that come with the scanners are not all that great but other times they are. I don't have the new scanner model I run a 996T and use the Butel programing software. Pro Scan I hear is another good one. I don't know what comes with the new scanners, others here will be able to put their knowledge in here.

Southington ,Wallingford, Cheshire and Middletown (city, Westfield and South District) fire departments are all conventional systems analog systems.

Southington and Middeltown PDs are standard analog (non digital P25) transmission systems.

Wallingford and Cheshire Police are a conventional P25 digital transmission system. You will not hear these systems, same with CSP Troop H. Your scanner is not able to listen to digital systems

Meriden Police is encrypted so you will not hear them anyway.

Bradley Airport you will not pick up any conventional frequencies from where you are. Bradley air field is just too far away for any local traffic.

For starters with the conventional frequencies, program them into your scanner without any PL or DPLs. This way you can hear them free and clear. Programing the wrong PL / DPL will prevent you from hearing the local department you want to listen too because the scanner is set to "hear" something else.

After doing that, what I like to do is to make a new bank of frequencies and put in all the PL / DPL codes and compare it to the "open" non PL / DPL bank. One problem that it could be is that you are not picking up the "private line" codes on your scanner because the signal is to weak.

try that and see what happens.

Last edited:

alconbury

Frequencies

I guess I do not the knowledge to do this right. I was reading all the suggestions from Izzy, But still am so confused. What does Pl/DPl mean where do you program for that? What about system type and trunking what is that? I put the frequencies in by hand which took quite awhile, did not and do not know whether to use MOT-RDCS-LT- or Conventional and have no idea what they mean. Would I be better off with a more expensive base unit, and does that need outside antenna?

I am a disabled vet with 100% disability so I have the time to keep trying, but it is getting very frustrating. I really appreciate everyone's help, maybe I just do not know enough to set this up. Ed

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Alconbury,

First off, thank you for your service in the military.

At the top of this page, there is a link labeled "WIKI". If you go there and surf around, there is a lot of detailed information about everything you need to know. There are a lot of guys here that really explained everything very well. Take a look at it. I'll try to simplify some of the question in your last post for you and as always if you don't understand something, someone here will answer your question the best way.

Newer scanners are a pain in the you-know-what compared to the older ones. So trying to program them feels like we need to be a rocket scientist. One thing I would suggest is to look into getting a scanner programming software package to install on your computer. There are free ones out there as well as one that you can purchase for a few dollars. This may help you a lot more and keep your frustration level down. If you program it in by hand through the key pad you are going to have to really follow the directions to make sure you get it correct. It will take a few to learn and navigate through the programming but you will get it.

"PL" and "DPL" are sub-audible tones that prevents a two-way radio user from hearing other users on the same frequency. For example I work at Foxwoods as a firefighter and our truck radios are programed to use 33.84. Well Southbury Training School FD in Southbury also uses 33.84. On a good day even though my work and STS FD are over 60 miles away from each other, I can hear them on our radios. Well a "PL" is put in our radios so I cannot hear STS and only the other trucks at Foxwoods or our mutual aid units that need to talk to us have the code to let our radios "hear" each other. So they put the PL code of 179.9 in all their radios that need to talk to Foxwoods FD. For the S.T.S. FD they use 127.3 as their PL and it blocks out any of our transmissions. Think of it as a door key, you have the right one you can go in the house, the wrong one you are locked out.

When you are programing straight frequencies in like 33.56, 154.3700, ect you want them to be set at conventional in the scanner. You are only listening to one specific frequency per channel ion the scanner.

The MOT, LT & EADCS are for trunked radio systems. Programing those are more complicated. A Trunked Radio System (TRS) is a radio system that has many users operating over several frequencies. The best way to explain how it works is going to the bank. You are one user, the bank itself is another user and the tellers are the radio system. When you are in line, you go to the next available teller to make you transaction with the bank. Well a trunked system operates the same way, you key up your radio, the radio system finds an available frequency and then you can talk to the bank. When you program one of these systems in your scanner, you have to find out what type of system it is as there are a few different ways these radio systems operate. MOT is for Motorola, EDACS is another type of system as well as LTR (Logic Trunking Radio), think of these a Windows, Linux and Apple software computers. They basically are the same but each operates differently to get the job done.

Buying a more expensive unit really is not going to make things work better. They will allow you to listen to more. I looked up your scanner and you cannot listen to digital radio transmissions like the CT State Police radio system.

Changing your antenna from the "rubber duck" that it came with to something else will help improve your reception greatly. I wouldn't go that route yet unless you really want to listen to radios that are farther away from you. If you are just interested right now with the local area stuff, stick to that for now.

There might be someone in your area also that can help you get it programmed as well. There are places where you can pay to get the scanner programmed but I would stay away form that, I'm sure someone will be more than willing to help you.

a417

My guess is that your in CT. Would be nice if you added your location in your profile. That way others on the group can help you that may know the region your in. Otherwise, your rolling the dice for an answer.

where in southington are you, roughly? it is a natural valley of sorts, that has Ragged to the east and Wolcott hills to the west...you might be in a deaf spot for some of those sites (like Bradley and Troop H), so you might not be able to pick any more of them up with out going vertical (drive, walk, fly, aerial antenna) to improve your reception abilities.... If you're hearing the Meriden NOAA channel on 162.40, at least your unit is working...

alconbury

Thank you to everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated and I will your suggestions and see what happens. All this information will be very helpful. Again thanks again. Ed

freightguy

Ed, if you are still having issues, email me at freightguy@aol.com . I am frequently in Southington to check on my mom. Southington PD and Fire are very active. So is Middletown, and they have good reach. It may be something simple.

Mike

alconbury

Thanks again to everyone, to take so your advice I have wiped my scanner clean and am looking into buying a Butel program to load. Being the technical "PRO" that I am, I have no idea how to use it. How does it go from computer to scanner? How does it know what frequencies to put in? If I have put them in I might as well do it myself and save the $70.00. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Ed

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again to everyone, to take so your advice I have wiped my scanner clean and am looking into buying a Butel program to load. Being the technical "PRO" that I am, I have no idea how to use it. How does it go from computer to scanner? How does it know what frequencies to put in? If I have put them in I might as well do it myself and save the $70.00. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Ed

Basically what you are doing is putting the information into the programing software then transferring it to the scanner. The software is like a database program. Think of loading the files tot he scanner the same as saving a file on you C: hard drive in your computer then you copy the file over to a thumb drive or 'burn" it onto a CD-ROM. It is the same concept.

Your scanner should have came with a programing cable. It attaches to you computer either using one of the USB rectangular shaped slots or the older style trapizoid 9-pin connector (usually found on the back of your computer). The other end of the cable had another smaller size port that should connect somewhere on you scanner, usually its located on one of the sides. Refer to your scanner's operators manual on connecting it to the computer, its fairly simple.

The software has instructions how to input the information (frequencies, name tag, ect ect ect) into it. Also detailed instructions how to have your computer detect the scanner after you connect the cable between them and also to upload all the information.

alconbury

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the software per the instructions from the company. It loaded ok, BUT the instructions from the company are giving me a lot of things that are supposed to be happening, BUY nothing is. I have e-mailed them and I am waiting for a reply. It is beginning to sound like I should have just done it myself by hand and saved all the time, money and aggravation Thanks again. Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.