536HP on ProScan remote from Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Hooked up one of my 536HPs to ProScan remote server over IP. Have it on one of business computers (Win 7) right now. Already have had some folks log on with ProScan client, one from Sweden for a couple of hours. If any one interested, you see what one of my 536HPs sounds like on LAPD (P25), LA ICIS (P25), and analog LA Co./City Fire. Any feedback is welcome.
Steve AA6IO

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Doesn't sound all that bad. I see you have that irritating ICON for the WI FI dongle. I got rid of mine. Hated that Signal indicator and ! on my screen. Did you feed the audio from the front Headphone jack?

Edit: Sounds worse at higher volume. Too much Bass

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
eaf1956
I don't know why the Wi-Fi is on. It is turned off in the scanner, and I have never even opened any of the Wi-Fi dongles yet that came with the 536HPs. Yes, I agree, listening myself on a remote client, it does sound better at a bit lower volume. Going to try and set something like this up on a dedicated laptop so I can run it most of the time. I have had several people log in as clients today, including a couple listening from Europe for a few hours.
For anyone listening to this feed at night, you can hear things are pretty nonstop here in Los Angeles. This represents just a few of the FLs I have going. I don't even have the LA Sheriff on because of some of the beeping they use on dispatch channels.
If I ran the LA Sheriff and CHP, they would dominate the channel hits together with LAPD. This is a real active place for scanning. My location in Cerritos is on the LA/Orange County border. Can monitor stuff in LA, Orange, San Bdno, Riverside, and Ventura counties.

Steve AA6IO
Steve AA6IO

eaf1956

Feed Provider
WI FI Icon

That's the way it is from the start. The only way to get rid of it is to set up WI FI and let it connect then disconnect the dongle. Or at least that is the way I got rid of it. No big deal really, I just hated the reminder that WIFI wasn't working on the 536HP.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
BCD 536HP feeding

I put my 536 online on port 5001 not the one on port 5000 at Evansville_Scanner.noip.me. hard to get good audio from the 536HP from the headphone jack.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I put my 536 online on port 5001 not the one on port 5000 at Evansville_Scanner.noip.me. hard to get good audio from the 536HP from the headphone jack.

I found my best audio with the 536HP. was using a mono to mono jumper audio line between rear speaker output and microphone in on computer. 996XT works OK with line in, but found mic in better with 536HP.
Steve AA6IO.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Really like seeing it up for listening, thank you.

One thing though was the other day someone went and turned down a bunch of channels as I watched the feed. Audio was great before but now its low. Just for information as the way I understand it people with Pro version can control scanner. I don't know if you were aware of that happening or not. The +V3 was nice while it lasted.

Really hope you can keep it going. LAPD used to be lots of fun to listen to. Still preferred LASO myself but kept 154.83 in a radio always so I could switch over when I heard the famous line "All units all frequencies stand by...." LOL

mule1075

Feed Provider
Really like seeing it up for listening, thank you.

One thing though was the other day someone went and turned down a bunch of channels as I watched the feed. Audio was great before but now its low. Just for information as the way I understand it people with Pro version can control scanner. I don't know if you were aware of that happening or not. The +V3 was nice while it lasted.

Really hope you can keep it going. LAPD used to be lots of fun to listen to. Still preferred LASO myself but kept 154.83 in a radio always so I could switch over when I heard the famous line "All units all frequencies stand by...." LOL
He the feed owner was doing the adjustments. Their is no pro version so to speak.If Steve wanted to he could give me control by password if he wanted to.Gwolf guessing you have not used proscan to feed correct?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
i got that part

just dont know the IP to use?
Click update and it should give you a server list.Double click on the feed you want to listen to and click start.Make sure you are on the remote scanner over IP tab to see the listing of online scanners.Fyi most of the Colorado feeds will not connect.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
First, eaf1956, listening to your 536HP on RSOIP and sounds pretty good. Wonder if you switched to mic input, because you have plenty strong audio.
Second, mule1075, Ghstwolf62, and others. Glad you are enjoying the feed. Have noticed several people from different parts of US, and a couple from Europe, log into my server. Yes, that was me adjusting the volume the other day.
Some people just want the LAPD, some want wider coverage, some say it is too loud, soft, too soft, so trying to find a happy medium. What I have going is a temporary set-up to see what interest there is in the feed. Will eventually try and devote a separate computer, or perhaps just another sound card in the Dell XPS (Win 7) that I am using now.
One problem is that I do a lot with DSD+ using RTL and now AirSpy. When set output to VB Cable, lose the audio to the feed. Don't know if a couple of more USB sounds cards would resolve issue. From what I have read about ProScan server and multiple feeds, I assume that those doing so have multiple sound cards. Will buy some in next few days.
A bigger potential problem is the following. I am a semi-retired physician, who spent a lot of time in ER work, and through that connection, and through being active in our local Rotary Club, I know a lot of LA Sheriffs and members of the LAPD and CHP. Have worked with these folks in my capacity as a physician over the last 35 years. I am still active in giving drug-prevention lectures to youth in this area, in conjunction with the LASD and LAPD.
They know I listen to scanners, and they have begged me not to run any feeds. This is why I have never had a feed (and never will) that can be readily monitored by anyone and his cousin on a simple I-Phone, IPAD, etc. application. If it is ProScan or the 536HP Wi-Fi (eventually), that is a different story.
With those apps, at least I believe that we are keeping things relatively limited to scanners with some experience.
However, the LASD and one LAPD officer, I don't know how, already know that I have this feed up, and a couple of higher ups (LASD) called and said "Steve, what are you doing." I've tried to reassure them that this is a limited audience. We will see how things work out. The other possibility is to leave the ProScan feed on, but not publicly listed. For those few selected persons who I know from this list who want to use it, I can always pass along my IP and you can log in.
We will just have to see how this whole thing works out. But I do enjoy having the feed going for others to hear. As you can hear, there is a lot of stuff happening in Los Angeles. Right now I will leave the LAPD on. However, if I get a few more requests for wider coverage, I will add LA ICIS, LAFD, and perhaps the CHP.
Thanks for the feedback.
Steve AA6IO

mitbr

Hey Doc! Thanks for this feed its very interesting to hear the tac channels for a change.
Can you change some of the LAPD channels to FM instead of NFM as the NFM one have garbled audio.
Can you increase the delay on the channels so we can hear the cars response this would also make it more interesting.
Thanks again.
Tim RN

eaf1956

Feed Provider
However, the LASD and one LAPD officer, I don't know how, already know that I have this feed up, and a couple of higher ups (LASD) called and said "Steve, what are you doing." I've tried to reassure them that this is a limited audience. We will see how things work out. The other possibility is to leave the ProScan feed on, but not publicly listed. For those few selected persons who I know from this list who want to use it, I can always pass along my IP and you can log in.
Steve AA6IO

I was going to say if you really want to limit who can listen then just don't publish and then they would have to know either your IP or the name used if you use something like NO IP service. By not PUBLISH I mean don't check the PUBLISH Server box in ProScan. You could get a No IP address and call it say LAFeed.noip.me or whatever if you use their service.

(I use Evansville-Scanner.noip.me for my scanners)

mitbr

Hey Doc! Thanks for this feed its very interesting to hear the tac channels for a change.
Can you change some of the LAPD channels to FM instead of NFM as the NFM one have garbled audio.
Can you increase the delay on the channels so we can hear the cars response this would also make it more interesting.
Thanks again.
Tim RN

Oh I will make my request for LAPD only due to the busyness of the LA area the less channels the better the listening.
Tim RN

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
He the feed owner was doing the adjustments. Their is no pro version so to speak.If Steve wanted to he could give me control by password if he wanted to.Gwolf guessing you have not used proscan to feed correct?

Okay that explains that and no I haven't. I probably have something screwed up in my understanding of it. I thought if you had the Pro version it allowed you to control the scanners while the client version didn't.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
First, eaf1956, listening to your 536HP on RSOIP and sounds pretty good. Wonder if you switched to mic input, because you have plenty strong audio.
Second, mule1075, Ghstwolf62, and others. Glad you are enjoying the feed. Have noticed several people from different parts of US, and a couple from Europe, log into my server. Yes, that was me adjusting the volume the other day.
Some people just want the LAPD, some want wider coverage, some say it is too loud, soft, too soft, so trying to find a happy medium. What I have going is a temporary set-up to see what interest there is in the feed. Will eventually try and devote a separate computer, or perhaps just another sound card in the Dell XPS (Win 7) that I am using now.
One problem is that I do a lot with DSD+ using RTL and now AirSpy. When set output to VB Cable, lose the audio to the feed. Don't know if a couple of more USB sounds cards would resolve issue. From what I have read about ProScan server and multiple feeds, I assume that those doing so have multiple sound cards. Will buy some in next few days.
A bigger potential problem is the following. I am a semi-retired physician, who spent a lot of time in ER work, and through that connection, and through being active in our local Rotary Club, I know a lot of LA Sheriffs and members of the LAPD and CHP. Have worked with these folks in my capacity as a physician over the last 35 years. I am still active in giving drug-prevention lectures to youth in this area, in conjunction with the LASD and LAPD.
They know I listen to scanners, and they have begged me not to run any feeds. This is why I have never had a feed (and never will) that can be readily monitored by anyone and his cousin on a simple I-Phone, IPAD, etc. application. If it is ProScan or the 536HP Wi-Fi (eventually), that is a different story.
With those apps, at least I believe that we are keeping things relatively limited to scanners with some experience.
We will just have to see how this whole thing works out. But I do enjoy having the feed going for others to hear. As you can hear, there is a lot of stuff happening in Los Angeles. Right now I will leave the LAPD on. However, if I get a few more requests for wider coverage, I will add LA ICIS, LAFD, and perhaps the CHP.
Thanks for the feedback.
Steve AA6IO

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't suggesting covering LASO just saying when I lived there that was my primary interest followed by LACoFD.

I like LAPD on your feed just fine as it is.

Good to know it was you wasn't sure. For me its a question of its easier to turn it down than try to turn it up if limited. That's all.

Again thanks and I understand your concern about the reaction from agencies. That might well be a deal breaker. You'll have to do whatever is best for you and them on that front.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Glad everyone enjoying the feed. Tried to run LAPD, LA Sheriff, CHP, ICIS, and LAFD earlier today, but the problem is, each of these systems is so busy, that the scanner can end up on CHP channels or ICIS trunk sites for a while, bypass the LAPD, etc. so you really don't get to hear good coverage of any one system. In reality, you could easily devote a single scanner to each of these systems. In fact, you could devote a single scanner just to law dispatch, law tac/talk groups, fire dispatch/tac, air, EMS, etc.
An these are just five of many other systems We have EDACS sites with about 250 TGs each (public works, DOT, etc), we have multiple trunking systems, we have the Orange County CCCS (where one could devote a couple of scanners). I live right below the flight path of LAX approach from the east. I could run separate scanners just for LAX departure/landing and another one just for ZLA.
For those who like LTR systems. I have a FL with just LTR that is basically nonstop day and night.
Then we have San Bernardino County with its huge trunk system. It goes on and on and on.
And now, the new LA CWIRS P25 (Phase 2) and LA-RICS P25 (Phase 2) are testing. Ran one of my 536HPs today and logged over 500 hits on Phase 2 P25 that included some LA Sheriffs and LA County Fire. And for CHP enthusiasts, you can run a scanner or two just for all those channels, day and night. And now we are seeing more NXDN and DMR coming on line (railroad and business).
The traffic is terrible here, but this is scanner haven. Oh by the way, we have plenty of military with Camp Pendelton, Seal Beach Naval Weapons, Los Alamitos Army Air Base, and the list goes on.
Anyway, LAPD seems to be the favorite among listeners, especially with the TAC, detectives, and SWAT on. So I am going to basically run LAPD for a while and see how my issues with LE colleagues (that I referred to previously) work out. Eaf1956's idea about don't publish and use a NO IP may be the way to go. I will look into that. However, broadcasting on an app for IPAD or Android, apart from something like ProScan will be out of the question.
Going to be in Phoenix for a few days visiting daughter and grandson. I still don't even have the full version of ProScan on another computer yet, so I have to do that this weekend so I can control the scanner myself from a remote location. This is kind of a work in progress.
Last, but not least, a big thanks to ProScan Bob who wrote this software. Never realized the potential of it until recently. Really a great and versatile program. Hope we get something going for the 436HPs.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.