Greenwich PD Gone Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Greenwich PD has switched over to full time encryption.
Here is a couple of the talkgroups that i heard.

14040 GPD Dispatch (nothing but encrypted transmissions)
14544 Heard EMS on this talkgroup un-encrypted.

I did hear 1 transmission on the GPD Digital talkgroup 14032 from a PD unit but not dispatch.
Could be they still are transitioning over.

I was only in town for a few hours, someone closer who can monitor them on a regular basis may be able to provide some more details.

Dave

APX7500X2

They went encrypted 100% EMS has not upgraded the radios yet for DES Encryption but are in the process and if the officer hits the switch by accident he can be in the clear but im told they are going to change it so its not an option. Rumor has it the new Harris P25 TDMA system is going to be 100% encrypted all talk groups for all services

garys

Premium Subscriber
No doubt the street gangs of Greenwich are a major problem. ;)

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Here is the list of the other towns in ct that are encrypted that i know of,
Bridgeport police
Greenwich police
Monroe police
Wilton police
Weston police
Meriden police
Milford police
Bristol police
Naugatuck police ch2 and on & off on dispatch ch

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Here is an article about the police chief making the decision to go encrypted.
He had some "credible intelligence" to make the switch!

Police encrypt radio traffic - Greenwich Real Time

I am a little surprised as I know the police chief personally and he is a former volunteer FF.
Maybe some politics or lawyers behind it. Who knows.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Greenwich PD has switched over to full time encryption.
Here is a couple of the talkgroups that i heard.

14040 GPD Dispatch (nothing but encrypted transmissions)
14544 Heard EMS on this talkgroup un-encrypted.

I did hear 1 transmission on the GPD Digital talkgroup 14032 from a PD unit but not dispatch.
Could be they still are transitioning over.

I was only in town for a few hours, someone closer who can monitor them on a regular basis may be able to provide some more details.

Dave

We have the GPD dispatch in the DB as being 14032. So which is it?
Also are the old analog TGs gone?

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
All of the old analog TGs for FD and PD went away when they switched to digital a few years ago.
Some of those have actually been reassigned I believe. You can remove them from the DB.

jdanon

I wonder what really drove the decision to encrypt. A year or two ago the first selectman said they would not encrypt. Running out of local public safety to listen to as radio systems are replaced with encrypted ones. Wonder what they are trying to hide.

APX7500X2

Here is the list of the other towns in ct that are encrypted that i know of,
Bridgeport police
Greenwich police
Monroe police
Wilton police
Weston police
Meriden police
Milford police
Bristol police
Naugatuck police ch2 and on & off on dispatch ch

Here is my list, This is full or part time encryption All PD unless noted some have it in portables and mobiles only for simplex operations and don't use it on the system and some use it just for command staff or Swat in simplex, It could be as little as 2 radios

Greenwich
Stamford
Darien
Norwalk
Wilton
Weston
New Canaan
Redding
Newtown
Monroe
Monroe FD
Trumbull
Ansonia EMS
Bridgeport
Milford
Southbury
Woodbury
Waterbury
Naugatuck
Wallingford
New haven
Branford
Meriden
Bristol
New Brittan
Weathersfield
Manchester
Enfield
Waterford
New London

jdanon

Here is my list, This is full or part time encryption All PD unless noted some have it in portables and mobiles only for simplex operations and don't use it on the system and some use it just for command staff or Swat in simplex, It could be as little as 2 radios

Greenwich
Stamford
Darien
Norwalk
Wilton
Weston
New Canaan
Redding
Newtown
Monroe
Monroe FD
Trumbull
Ansonia EMS
Bridgeport
Milford
Southbury
Woodbury
Waterbury
Naugatuck
Wallingford
New haven
Branford
Meriden
Bristol
New Brittan
Weathersfield
Manchester
Enfield
Waterford
New London
That's depressing. Not even the state is encrypted. Nor is NYPD. Why would these small towns need it if they don't? Plus FD and EMS are also encrypted on a lot of those systems. I know the Greenwich police chief cited "privacy concerns," but last time I checked calling 911 resulting in an emergency services response does not entitle one to privacy. The whole internet feed/phone app that he also cited is just plain BS. It's not the feeds or cell phone apps and there is no evidence that they pose any threat to public safety. If cops, firemen, and EMTs are so scared for their safety that they need to keep their job in total secrecy, then there are plenty of other jobs out there that are a lot safer, and they probably pay a lot better too.

I chalk it all up to the militarization of the police fed and encouraged by a seemingly endless supply grants. Greenwich just paid $5+ million to go digital 5 years ago, and now they are shelling out I think $12 more million for a whole new system? The radio arms race is getting to be like new iPhone releases where everyone just has to have the latest one even though the old one works just fine. The new police cruisers + equipment costs more than my Lexus. And then the emergency service workers want raises on top of it. No wonder municipal budgets and taxes are getting out of control.

This trend of hiding communications comes at a particularly poor time. I like the way Greenwich's previous police chief put it: the benefit from the transparency of keeping communications in the clear overwhelms any potential risks. Confidence in the police is at an all-time low following many high profile incidents across the country. Many in the public believe that cops are just gangsters with badges that aren't subject to oversight, accountability, or transparency, and it's getting hard not to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.